What would you change about the Health Care System (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:39:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What would you change about the Health Care System (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: (please see explanations below)
Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option4

Option 5

Option 6

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: What would you change about the Health Care System  (Read 4900 times)
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« on: December 23, 2015, 10:56:26 PM »

I would replace the entirety of the safety net with a cash grant of equal value for every citizen (to be phased out after certain income levels), part of which could be used to fund private health insurance if the recipient decides to do so—I would abolish the individual mandate.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:05:44 PM »

Guaranteed minimum income + publicly provided basic goods (health, education, housing, etc.) is the way to go.

Ideally. It's hard to see the future not having both, but I must admit, I don't quite understand the obsession in the GOP with block grants / lump payments / handfuls of cash. Like you can see this trend in so many of their proposals. Just reminds me of people who don't want to be forced to do anything, including having a govt-run healthcare service/plan when they could just take cash instead.

Maybe they feel that people can make better choices on their own rather than submitting to specific, preset services, but tbh I think people would end up worse off if just given a stack of cash and then left to their own devices.

The idea is that giving out free money is cheaper and easier than giving out free stuff. You can guarantee a minimum income to more people, at a lower tax rate and administrative cost than directly providing goods & services. The trade off is accepting that a certain number of people will spend their money irresponsibly and regret it later. The greater autonomy, both personal and financial, is worth that imo.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies