San Francisco tech nerds: Poor people are "trash" and need to "stay out" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:00:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  San Francisco tech nerds: Poor people are "trash" and need to "stay out" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: San Francisco tech nerds: Poor people are "trash" and need to "stay out"  (Read 3732 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:09:33 PM »

"The real economy" as a phrase should be taken out back and shot. Or alternatively learn something, anything, about the most basic economics and why tech companies making a lot of money is a good thing.

Is it though? Structural change is a hard sell when we have a political economy that allows the prosperity that flows from productivity gains to be monopolized by a few while the harm caused by such structural change is allowed to be severe without any attempt to provide a public remedy.

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:17:36 PM »

It's hard to have much sympathy for the tech industry when I've been bombarded with the idea that they're saviors for ages. Filth like this doesn't help:
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 01:22:20 PM »

Obviously, this is an unproductive complaint about the homeless problem in San Francisco and this guy is a monster.  But, the solution isn't scapegoating the annoying rich people. 

But, let me remind you residents of Mt. Pious, homelessness does actually create social problems that annoy people.  It's annoying to have a homeless man stink up your subway car.  It's annoying to have people panhandling on the streets.  It's annoying to get mugged or stolen from.  Those are legitimate annoyances and I think that's what the guy is responding to.  If you went to downtown San Francisco or Portland, Oregon most of you would be annoyed too. 

The solution though is not to banish these people.  What we ought to do is provide mental healthcare, drug treatment and a better quality of life for poor people.

I rarely get annoyed at the homeless in Portland...
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 09:42:38 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Isn't this supposed to be a city of "tolerance" and "diversity"? Or is a different opinion not welcome?

"Tolerance" does not mean being accepting of bigotry and racism, sorry.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies