Special Referendum in America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:41:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Special Referendum in America
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How would you vote ?
Elect a New Congress

Elect a Constitutionnal Convention

Elect a Constituent Congress

Write-in

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Special Referendum in America  (Read 909 times)
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2021, 01:56:12 PM »

I'm inspiring from the situation of France in 1946, after the Second World War.
An Interim Governement has been inaugurated for the USA, after a major Revolution overthrowing an administration, a liberation from a foreign occupation or a devastating World War (maybe winning). This government decides to organize an election to form a congress and add a national referendum.
There're four options:
  • Electing a new congress and restoring the 1789 US Constitution
    Electing a Convention to amend the US Constitution
    Electing a Constituent Congress to write a new US Constitution (SEcond Republic)
    Write-in

Vote and discuss.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 01:57:33 PM »

Write in: Declare an absolute monarchy under the glorious reign of Kg. MANDELA BARNES
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 02:49:24 PM »

Constituent Congress, the American experiment is broken and flawed beyond repair.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 02:55:35 PM »

In situation 1, it appears that the Constitution itself has failed and that a new one needs to be written. In situation 3, it depends that given how drastically the world and society must have changed that there should either be a constitutional convention or a new constitution depending on the severity. Situation 2 could be a carbon copy of situation 3, but if most American cities and people survived and the system failed through no fault of its own, I would be comfortable with trying to return to normalcy as soon as practicable.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 03:54:59 PM »

I want to say option 3, because I think our democracy is broken and that there is nothing sacred about our Constitution to stop us from coming up with a better one. That being said I am also terrified at what a large percentage of our country believes we should be, so maybe efforts to amend the current Constitution is the safest option.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 04:04:31 PM »

There’s no need to completely throw out the Constitution and write a new one that starts a new republic. Doing so might throw out many of the important constitutional rights and protections that have been established over the years, not only directly but also through court decisions. It would be essentially starting from scratch, and only if done very carefully might it be better. I think a Constitutional Convention significantly revising the current Constitution but keeping it fundamentally intact and preserving continuation of the republic that began in 1789 would be best.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 04:13:47 PM »

A new constitution with added economic and social rights establishing a federal structure of workers' councils with a more democratized decision-making process of direct elections and referendums. No states, but some autonomies within the system with indigenous peoples in mind.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 04:32:12 PM »

Under the hypothetical situation imposed by OP, I'd vote for a new constitution but IRL the U.S. has so far been doing pretty well under the 1789 guidelines.
Pink Panther

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 07:00:07 PM »

Write In: An Empire led bu it's glorious emperor, Vermin Supreme. With mandatory toothbrushing and free ponies, we will automatically achieve world peace.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 08:54:52 PM »

Elect a Constitutional Convention to write a new constitution.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 11:06:32 PM »

There’s no need to completely throw out the Constitution and write a new one that starts a new republic. Doing so might throw out many of the important constitutional rights and protections that have been established over the years, not only directly but also through court decisions. It would be essentially starting from scratch, and only if done very carefully might it be better. I think a Constitutional Convention significantly revising the current Constitution but keeping it fundamentally intact and preserving continuation of the republic that began in 1789 would be best.

I’m curious, which rights do you think would be in danger?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 11:10:49 PM »

I’m curious, which rights do you think would be in danger?
Not Alben, but I'd be a bit concerned about the First Amendment being watered down or having "exceptions" carved out for free speech.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies