Raul Castro: US must return Guantánamo for normal relations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 03:39:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Raul Castro: US must return Guantánamo for normal relations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Raul Castro: US must return Guantánamo for normal relations  (Read 3379 times)
Cory
YaBB God

« on: February 02, 2015, 10:13:34 PM »
« edited: February 05, 2015, 01:45:15 PM by Cory »

There seems to be a deal of confusion on the forum about my beliefs about Chile through the 1970-1989 era, so let me take a paragraph to set the record straight: Pinochet was a brutal right-wing dictator, under whose rule opposition was suppressed and tens of thousands were tortured or "disappeared". However, Allende, his left-wing predecessor (besides behaving in a very autocratic manner himself) led a foreign policy of friendship towards left-wing dictatorships whose actions resulted in the deaths of more innocents than Pinochet ever dreamed of killing. That is why I have noted, in thread after thread, and still feel, that Pinochet was "better" or preferable to Allende.

Because being allied with people who were "worse" (mostly/entirely due to population and scale differences than intent) somehow makes you worse then someone who does the same thing to one's own country.

Unless you can substantiate that Allende had something equal or worse then Pinochet in mind  you should just cut it out.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies