How will Washington (over) react to Boston Bombings (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:32:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How will Washington (over) react to Boston Bombings (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How will Washington (over) react to Boston Bombings  (Read 2630 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« on: April 20, 2013, 02:18:05 AM »

I do not think that, given the circumstances, the "citywide lockdown" was excessively excessive. These guys were out for blood, had no respect for human life, and used explosives. Security personnel were murdered and injured - perhaps this lockdown prevented civilians from meeting a similar fate.

That, and I highly doubt this sort of measure would be taken again anytime soon. Sometimes you DO need to sacrifice liberty for security for a minute in the real world. Just as long as it's not abused, like any power.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 08:39:15 AM »

If extraordinary actions worked 100% of the time they'd cease being extraordinary.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:54:15 AM »

If extraordinary actions worked 100% of the time they'd cease being extraordinary.

That wouldn't make it justifiable. If anything, it makes it less justifiable.

It depends on the action and how much it violates rights. Did this action violate rights? Absolutely. Are those rights less a priority for a short period due to an extraordinary cause? Of course. If it makes you feel any better I do not believe violating the lockdown should be grounds for prosecution.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies