The universe is 12,000 years old. Welcome to Religious Fascism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:05:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The universe is 12,000 years old. Welcome to Religious Fascism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does the federal government have an obligation to tell the American people that the church is lying to them?
Yes (d)

No (d)

Yes (r)

No (r)

Yes (i)

No (i)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: The universe is 12,000 years old. Welcome to Religious Fascism  (Read 2138 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 24, 2006, 10:46:23 AM »
« edited: January 24, 2006, 10:48:14 AM by jmfcst »

I don't see the problem.

If one assumes that only natural forces are responsible for the observed structure of the universe, then 12 billion years is very reasonable.  (Of course, you still have the problem of origin of the universe since the universe can not create energy, but that is another discussion.  Also, this isn't a problem for those who believe God created the universe through the Big Bang and evolution).

If some people believe a supernatural force is responsible for creating the universe in its current state around 10,000 years ago, then they are still in agreement with current scientific observation, they simply don't believe the prevailing assumption that everything in the past was the result of natural processes.

So, basically the "argument" between science and the bible is NOT concerning the current state of the universe, rather the argument is over the past history of the universe.  Science assumes no supernatural influence over the past 12 billion years, while the bible claims supernatural influence.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies