So how did this guy get Re-elected? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 09:53:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  So how did this guy get Re-elected? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So how did this guy get Re-elected?  (Read 31004 times)
USERNAME

« on: February 24, 2005, 05:29:52 PM »

I think that “marriage” is society conferring affirmative sanction and benefits upon relationships that it sees as beneficial to itself.  A man and woman, living together, raising their children has traditionally been thought of as beneficial for society as a whole.  If the marriage dissolves some or all of those benefits are withdrawn.  A non-custodial divorcee loses all society granted benefits.  A custodial single parent loses much of them.  As benefits to society are diminished, so are benefits from society.

Denial of the status of marriage to gay couples is neither bigoted nor hate driven.  It us just that the benefits to society from such a relationship are not apparent, and so none are conferred. 

How it is possible that whether or not society decides to confer the title of “marriage” on a particular kind of relationship together with the attendant benefits of that title could not be the business of other members of that society escapes me. 
USERNAME

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 06:35:24 PM »

I think, OBEPO, I see where you are confused.  You think that because your relationship with your gay friend is none of my business, and I agree, that whether or not I (herein a stand-in for society) decide to confer title and benefits upon you for that relationship is also none of my business.  Your logic is flawed. 

Whenever a society decides to grant, say, tax benefits upon individuals because of what they are doing, it is always the business of that society and of the other members of that society.  That’s why the Tax Code, Regs, and Rulings take up a couple bookshelves.  It is an entire system of discrimination, discriminating precisely who and who not, where and when, can and can’t, etc.  This is not the same as prejudice discrimination.

You scream that I am a bigot and I hate you because I won’t grant you the title and benefits you demand.  I don’t hate you anymore than I hate hobbyist farmers who fail to show a profit three out of five years.  I just won’t give either of you the tax benefits you desire.  You both think I’m unfair.

Your relationship with your goat is none of my business either.  That doesn’t mean I am going to give you a tax break because of it.  Actually, if you can file Schedule F I might. 

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies