UK General Discussion: 2017 and onwards, Mayhem (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:14:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2017 and onwards, Mayhem (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2017 and onwards, Mayhem  (Read 220117 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« on: July 11, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »

If you think Brexit is being handled badly now , wait till you see it handled by Corbyn.
It will be handled better?
This is just my American perspective on the parties, but I think I have a rather decent handle.

I think you miss the whole reason Brexit has been such a problem for the current government. While the Tory/Conservative party is rather ideologically concise, Brexit remains a prevalent issue in the coalition. You have many folks on different sides of the aisle that are in the Tory party, and want to either see a Soft Brexit/Hard Brexit/ no brexit competing with each other for dominance. In the referendum, even though Cameron urged for staying, most C voters voted to leave. The Tory party tried to make itself the party of Brexit and a stable transition during May's tenure, and she failed. She failed to understand the tide and how it was changing, and how UKIP voters may not like the rest of her ideas(many during the 2017 election thought May would win most of the UKIP, but instead they split down the middle). And while I believe many are regretting that vote, its clear that the Tory party cannot stop Brexit, lest they anger a majority of their base. This has just kept the seems holding the party to weaken, and, as we saw in the last couple days, the party is collapsing in on itself, unable to make any progress. Literally DUP would do a better job.

Compare that to the Labour party, the "Big Tent" party of The UK. When it comes to Brexit, the divide is actually less bitter. Sure, there are still some divides, but they are nothing compared to the Tories. The Labour party also doesnt have the pressure to keep this issue going as the Tories do. The remain vote was constituted of mostly Labour voters, and as remain has become more popular after the vote, there isnt much electoral backlash to stop pushing the issue. Even Corbyn, who has always distrusted the EU, sees this. His positions on the issue are rather moderate, and have continued to moderate as time goes on, and I see his government either going for a soft Brexit, or putting it back on referendum, where it would likely be voted to remain. The Labour party has always been uncomfortable about the issue, and Im sure they will see across the aisle at how much damage it did to a once dominate party, and focus on other issues. Someone needs to nationalize those railways!

Sorry Brits if I made any mistakes.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 10:15:05 AM »

^^ how did the culture of coverups and intimidation become so normal in the labour party?

This story is a huge stretch. Most of these  threats were posted by random posters online. How would Labour know about all of them, or even really care about them? The Republican and Democratic Party dont take a random twitter poster's anger seriously and put them on a list, and I dont think the Conservatives do either.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 10:23:29 AM »

^
The church thing is pretty cool, it does seem like religion as a whole, except in the US, is taking up less and less of public and private life.

But about the party members, most are small ones in councils, or members of a local charter. This is like equating 2 state legislators in WY as being worthy of a national scandal. I would understand if people like a shadow secretary, or member of parliament was caught doing this, but it doesnt look like thats true, so I refer to my previous reasoning.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 10:32:15 PM »

I personally would like Northern Ireland to reunite with the rest. Its just odd seeing Ireland split like that, and its clear that the union is becoming a hamper to Northern Ireland, and vice versa.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 09:27:13 AM »

Glad that this thread has become "lets bash Labour for tiny things that the party activists have done".

Anyway, it does seem that Brexit is coming to a head in Northern Ireland, and more demonstrations are taking place for secession. And thanks to a negotiation made during the peace deal between the IRA and the UK, they could easily vote to succeed. I would not be surprised if we went back to the Old (and my favorite) English Jack before the incorporation of Ireland.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 08:13:36 AM »

^^ Labour rifts over brexit are starting to surface...

Doesnt seem like it, TBH. It just looks like he threw that line in, and it was received rather positively. No major MPs are objecting to such a thing. In fact, if anything, its a rebuke of Corbyn, who supports leave, albeit discreetly.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 09:15:45 AM »

So leaving the European Union a right wing project? Tell that to steel workers in Redcar, Stocksbridge and port Talbot (all whom voted leave overwhelmingly), or coalfield towns in the east midlands, north east and Yorkshire, or the fishing communities in Cornwall and hull 🤗🤔

The experts told us the day we vote for Brexit, the country will go into recession, there will be an emergency budget, 3 million jobs will be lost, Unilever leaving to the Netherlands, etc etc
It's getting old and boring, reminds of the whole we must join the euro or else England is doomed back in early 2000s

But no, we have to listen to posh middle class people in Bath, Tunbridge Wells, Beaconsfield and Wandsworth, they know better 😉

the economy doing well isnt an indicator on the success/failure of Brexit. Britain is lagging behind the rest of the EU and other major world powers, and hasnt seen the benefits from Brexit at all. Having slight economic growth when the world economy is booming isnt a good sign.

Its a Right Wing Project, made by xenophobes and nationalists. A project that will end in tatters.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 12:54:17 PM »

First the riots in Paris, now this. It seems that politics in Europe are starting to spin out of control...
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 07:37:54 AM »

This is the biggest s***show in the Commonwealth's history since the Emu War.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 01:08:32 PM »

UK, YouGov poll, European Union membership referendum:
Scenario: Remain vs. May Deal

Remain: 62% (+12)
Leave (May Deal): 38% (-12)

(24% undecided not included)
Fieldwork: 6-7 December 2018

Well, the EU is not going to agree to anything significantly different from May's deal, so the choice is either Remain or Crash out. That is what they should be polling.

So the question is, are you feeling lucky?

If May's deal is only getting 38%, then the crash faction is getting much lower.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 12:41:23 PM »

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 10:24:25 PM »

The Labour Party should be quaking in its boots. They might lose 6 members!
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 08:27:45 AM »

Finally, took them long enough!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies