Opinion of this hypothetical time zone redraw?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:19:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Opinion of this hypothetical time zone redraw?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion?
Freedom Redraw

Horrible Redraw

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Opinion of this hypothetical time zone redraw?  (Read 836 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2019, 12:08:42 PM »

The borders are overall moves slightly eastward, moving:

From East to Central:
Parts of Florida, Kentucky, Michigan
Union of Indiana

From Central to Mountain:
Parts of Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota
Split of Oklahoma

From Mountain to West:
Parts of Idaho
Union of Oregon

I only bothered to color states that are either split or on the border.
In those cases though, I colored the entire state.
Red is for East and Mountain.
Green is for Central and West.

Wichita, Kansas is easily the biggest and most notable city moved from Central time to Mountain time in this map.
Boise, Idaho is easily the biggest and most notable city moved from Mountain time to Western time in this map.
Notable cities moved from Eastern time to Central time include Lexington, Louisville (Kentucky), Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, South Bend (Indiana), Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids (Michigan).
dpmapper
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:23:03 PM »

The sun already rises and sets too early in a lot of places.  Shifting time zone boundaries east will make it worse. 
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 12:32:31 PM »

The sun already rises and sets too early in a lot of places.  Shifting time zone boundaries east will make it worse. 

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/

according to this map, things are currently skewed the other way.
Besides, its just time zones.
Times for people to get up, go to work/school, get back home, go to bed are often not uniform in any event, even within a single medium sized city, and can easily be set at different time slots depending on what is desired.
dpmapper
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 01:00:45 PM »

Who cares about aligning the time zones so that they accord with South America by longitude? 

On July 1 in Chicago, the sun rises at 5:19am and sets at 8:29pm.  And that's *with* Daylight Savings.
 The vast majority of people wish to still be asleep at 5:19am, and awake at 8:29pm.  That's what I mean by too early.  If you shift boundaries like this, you'll have places where the sun rises well before 5am.
Starpaul20
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -5.22

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 01:20:32 PM »

The boundaries should be shifted westward from their current positions. Everything east of the  Appalachian should be in Atlantic time.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 01:32:00 PM »

Who cares about aligning the time zones so that they accord with South America by longitude?  

On July 1 in Chicago, the sun rises at 5:19am and sets at 8:29pm.  And that's *with* Daylight Savings.
 The vast majority of people wish to still be asleep at 5:19am, and awake at 8:29pm.  That's what I mean by too early.  If you shift boundaries like this, you'll have places where the sun rises well before 5am.

I think you have the cause and effect backwards. People want clock midnight to be so much closer to bed time than wake up time is because the time zones are drawn in a way that is so skewed off of the natural scientific setup. If the time zones were changed, the numeric time of day where people are going to want to wake up, go to work/school, go back home, and go to bed will shift with it. The result of moving time zones around would be that the clock time humans do things would shift, not the scientific time humans do things.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 01:35:57 PM »

Don't split metro areas that cross times zones, people prefer not having to adjust their clock during a morning commute. This is why Chicago/El Paso/Others are split from their state in the first place.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 01:43:28 PM »

Don't split metro areas that cross times zones, people prefer not having to adjust their clock during a morning commute. This is why Chicago/El Paso/Others are split from their state in the first place.

I indeed took this into account when drawing Michigan for example.
I prioritized keeping the Lansing metro whole over having a better geometric layout.
Overall, I think metro areas were geometrically shapes in a satisfactory way, however, to not make this an issue anywhere else.
dpmapper
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 02:31:20 PM »

On July 1 in Chicago, the sun rises at 5:19am and sets at 8:29pm.  And that's *with* Daylight Savings.
 The vast majority of people wish to still be asleep at 5:19am, and awake at 8:29pm.  That's what I mean by too early.  If you shift boundaries like this, you'll have places where the sun rises well before 5am.

I think you have the cause and effect backwards. People want clock midnight to be so much closer to bed time than wake up time is because the time zones are drawn in a way that is so skewed off of the natural scientific setup. If the time zones were changed, the numeric time of day where people are going to want to wake up, go to work/school, go back home, and go to bed will shift with it. The result of moving time zones around would be that the clock time humans do things would shift, not the scientific time humans do things.

There is no "natural scientific setup"; degrees longitude past Greenwich is a completely artificial measurement. 

We are used to having certain things at certain times.  Lunch is around noon.  A standard working day is nine-to-five.  These are "merely" customs but they are fairly ingrained in people's habits and thinking and will not change quickly, if at all.  The fact that normal waking hours are already misaligned with daylight hours (as outlined in my previous post) is proof of this -- if they were as malleable as you claim, they would have shifted by now. 
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 02:58:17 PM »

I prioritized keeping the Lansing metro whole over having a better geometric layout.
Overall, I think metro areas were geometrically shapes in a satisfactory way, however, to not make this an issue anywhere else.

Any time zone 'reform' map that separates Gary and the rest of Chicagoland from the cities clock is an automatic No from me, sorry.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 03:07:17 PM »

Why not modify state boundaries to conform to time zone boundaries?

Central Time should be from -82.5W to -97.5 W.

Georgia would be moved to CST, with the coast given an option of joining NC.

The panhandle of Florida would be annexed to Alabama and Georgia.

Kentucky and Tennessee would be in CST, with options for the western tips of SC, NC and VA to be added to GA, TN, and KY. The eastern tips of KY and TN could join VA and NC.

Ohio would have to divided. The western part could added to Indiana. The eastern part could be added to Pennsylvania or West Virginia. Or Ohio could be divided into two states, with capitals in Zanesville and Lima.

Michigan would be in CST.

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Nebraska would be split, while SD and ND would be in the Mountain Zone.

Eastern Texas including DFW and Houston would be a new state, as would West Texas. western Oklahoma would be added to West Texas.  Arkansas, Missouri and Iowa would be extended west to 97.5W. Western Kansas and western Nebraska would be joined together, perhaps together with eastern Colorado.

Western Montana would be added to Idaho. Western Utah would be added to Nevada. The southern tip of Nevada would be detached (as it was originally), and joined with parts of western Arizona and eastern California to form Lower Colorado.

Coastal California would be detached with an option for a NS split. The Nevada-California would be adjusted to conform to the Sierra crest.

Or we could switch to 100 minutes per hour and 100 seconds per minute.

A New World Minute would be 36 Old Style Seconds. A New World Second would .36 Old Style Seconds. Then time zones would be demarcated to the nearest decihour or kilosecond).

About 100 miles wide at the equator.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 08:00:29 PM »

I'd rather move time zones in the other direction if we are moving them, but my real proposal is simply extending DST to the winter.  Nowhere in the Continental US should it ever be dark out before the average person gets off of work (5 PM).
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 10:37:56 PM »

I support whatever it would take to make the sun set later in the day. It sucks when it's dark before 5 PM.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies