Vice, Virtue, and Independence (A Different Path, Chapter 2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:32:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Vice, Virtue, and Independence (A Different Path, Chapter 2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Author Topic: Vice, Virtue, and Independence (A Different Path, Chapter 2)  (Read 38553 times)
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2018, 01:43:34 PM »

It's unfortunate that he's running with Smathers, but Johnson '68 I guess.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2018, 02:02:55 PM »

Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2018, 02:13:27 PM »

Oh good, now y'all know how 1968 progressives ITTL feel. Smiley
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2018, 02:25:19 PM »

Johnson, I guess. This leaves the door open for Reagan 72, though.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2018, 04:13:40 PM »

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »

Something has to happen to LBJ. IDK why but I just don’t think he ends up being victorious. Does he get assassinated? Does it go to the house and he loses?

In this TL I’m all in for LBJ. For a number of reasons but three main ones: First, in this TL LBJ isn’t the stubborn POTUS that keeps doubling down on disastrous Vietnam, secondly in this TL LBJ isn’t filled with and motivated by Kennedy jealously/resentment. And third, Smathers is one of my favorite Non-Kennedy politicians.

...Although maybe I shouldn’t support LBJ in this TL because it makes an RFK or Teddy victory less likely in the immediate future ... then again Wallace and Goldwater are just about the worst two candidates one can imagine aside from Trump of course.

BTW, JFK - Keep this up! I originally enjoyed this TL just because it’s my dream scenario of a full JFK administration but that aside it really is VERY well written 
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2018, 12:21:48 AM »

Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2018, 03:06:08 PM »

November 1, 1968
Gallup Poll

President Kennedy Approval Rating
Approve: 69%
Disapprove: 30%
Not sure: 1%
Didn’t answer: 0%

Who are you more inclined to vote for in the general election?

Governor Lyndon Johnson/Senator George Smathers: 38%, 282 Electoral Votes
Senator Barry Goldwater/Governor Ronald Reagan: 31%, 76 Electoral Votes
Former Governor George Wallace/Governor George Mahoney: 28%, 89 Electoral Votes
Undecided/Tossup: 3%, 91 Electoral Votes
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2018, 02:57:13 AM »

November 1, 1968
Gallup Poll

President Kennedy Approval Rating
Approve: 69%
Disapprove: 30%
Not sure: 1%
Didn’t answer: 0%

Who are you more inclined to vote for in the general election?

Governor Lyndon Johnson/Senator George Smathers: 38%, 282 Electoral Votes
Senator Barry Goldwater/Governor Ronald Reagan: 31%, 76 Electoral Votes
Former Governor George Wallace/Governor George Mahoney: 28%, 89 Electoral Votes
Undecided/Tossup: 3%, 91 Electoral Votes

This is going to the house!
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2018, 12:26:56 PM »

November 2, 1968
Lyndon

In a few months, I’m gonna be the f---ing President.

Lyndon was over the moon. He’d wanted to be President since he was a boy growing up in the hill country, and now he was just days away from getting elected. He was so happy that he was almost paranoid that somehow someone would take it away from him; his body was tense with stress, and pangs of anxiety sometimes hit his chest.

He stopped at his fence (the Governor and soon-to-be President-elect was relaxing at LBJ Ranch today), and, as he leaned against it, he thought of all the things he’d do. He’d enact programs to ensure that no one would have to be brought up in poverty like he had. He’d finish what Kennedy had started with regard to civil rights, except he’d do it better and faster, and have the admiration of the black community in the way that Kennedy could only dream of. And he’d do something, anything about Vietnam; the limbo couldn’t last much longer. There were murmurs of an impending North Vietnamese strike on South Vietnam, which would put American military advisers in the commies’ crosshairs too.

Lyndon went inside his ranch, got a glass of whiskey and a cigar, and went back out onto his porch. He’d restarted his old, unhealthy habits after leaving the Vice Presidency in ‘64, but he’d quit again when he got to the White House.

The Governor sat there for a while, thinking more about what he’d do in office. He went through mental lists: who he’d appoint to his Cabinet, what bills he’d introduce in his first 100 days, which friends and political allies he’d appoint to ambassadorships, which political enemies he’d make life hell for. It was all great fun, but…

He’d been watching the polls obsessively. Goldwater was gaining on him, even if Lyndon was still 6 or 7 points ahead. There was no chance he’d win 270 electoral votes, but Barry could steal enough states away that the whole thing would go to the House. Now, every goddamn northern Democrat hated Wallace’s guts, so he’d never win in the House, but they weren’t so hot on Lyndon, either… The whole thing stressed him out.

Another pang of anxiety came, but this one stayed. Mildly alarmed, Lyndon called for Lady Bird. By the time she came to the porch, Lyndon’s cigar had fallen out of his mouth, and the Governor was slumped over in his chair.

The soon-to-be First Lady screamed for help. She got the sense that she might not actually be the “soon-to-be” anything.

Except a soon-to-be widow.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2018, 12:28:31 PM »

November 3, 1968
BREAKING: LBJ IN CRITICAL CONDITION AFTER MASSIVE HEART ATTACK
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2018, 02:09:38 PM »

November 3, 1968
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »

LBJ being President stopped him from having of those big health scares
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2018, 02:33:42 PM »

November 3, 1968
I KNEW IT
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2018, 03:25:12 PM »

November 2, 1968
Lyndon

In a few months, I’m gonna be the f---ing President.

Lyndon was over the moon. He’d wanted to be President since he was a boy growing up in the hill country, and now he was just days away from getting elected. He was so happy that he was almost paranoid that somehow someone would take it away from him; his body was tense with stress, and pangs of anxiety sometimes hit his chest.

He stopped at his fence (the Governor and soon-to-be President-elect was relaxing at LBJ Ranch today), and, as he leaned against it, he thought of all the things he’d do. He’d enact programs to ensure that no one would have to be brought up in poverty like he had. He’d finish what Kennedy had started with regard to civil rights, except he’d do it better and faster, and have the admiration of the black community in the way that Kennedy could only dream of. And he’d do something, anything about Vietnam; the limbo couldn’t last much longer. There were murmurs of an impending North Vietnamese strike on South Vietnam, which would put American military advisers in the commies’ crosshairs too.

Lyndon went inside his ranch, got a glass of whiskey and a cigar, and went back out onto his porch. He’d restarted his old, unhealthy habits after leaving the Vice Presidency in ‘64, but he’d quit again when he got to the White House.

The Governor sat there for a while, thinking more about what he’d do in office. He went through mental lists: who he’d appoint to his Cabinet, what bills he’d introduce in his first 100 days, which friends and political allies he’d appoint to ambassadorships, which political enemies he’d make life hell for. It was all great fun, but…

He’d been watching the polls obsessively. Goldwater was gaining on him, even if Lyndon was still 6 or 7 points ahead. There was no chance he’d win 270 electoral votes, but Barry could steal enough states away that the whole thing would go to the House. Now, every goddamn northern Democrat hated Wallace’s guts, so he’d never win in the House, but they weren’t so hot on Lyndon, either… The whole thing stressed him out.

Another pang of anxiety came, but this one stayed. Mildly alarmed, Lyndon called for Lady Bird. By the time she came to the porch, Lyndon’s cigar had fallen out of his mouth, and the Governor was slumped over in his chair.

The soon-to-be First Lady screamed for help. She got the sense that she might not actually be the “soon-to-be” anything.

Except a soon-to-be widow.

Congratulations President Wallace.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »

I would be fascinated to know who JFK endorsed.

With that being said I KNEW IT
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2018, 04:57:14 PM »

Gene McCarthy write-in.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2018, 12:02:44 AM »

Wow this is crazy. Since it's not an organized party, I guess Smathers doesn't just assume the top of the ticket. But I also guess they will be on the ballot, so LBJ's independent bid might just be able to be replaced? This is fascinating, can't wait for more.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2018, 03:38:16 PM »

Cop-out...
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2018, 04:12:12 PM »

Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2018, 04:16:31 PM »

November 5, 1968
6:00 PM

“From the headquarters of CBS Evening News, this is Election Night 1968.”

“Good evening, I am Walter Cronkite, and this is CBS News. An election with a tumultuous primary season finally seemed to settle down, until the very last minute, when the frontrunner, Texas Governor Lyndon B. Johnson, had a heart attack. He is still in critical condition - and still on the ballot. We at CBS will not pretend to know how this will affect the outcome. Perhaps no one will vote for an incapacitated man, or perhaps a plurality will. Regardless, polls have just closed in Indiana and Kentucky. It is much too early to call either state at the moment.”

7:00 PM

“It is 7:00 PM on the East Coast, and polls have closed in a few more states. We can immediately call two states, and can make guesses as to how the rest of the night will play out. First, Georgia has been won by the Democratic nominee, George Wallace. This was expected, even before Johnson’s sudden heart attack. However, a less expected call is the next: The state of Vermont has been won by Barry Goldwater, the Republican nominee. This is interesting because, besides 1964, Vermont has voted Republican since 1856; however, it was prepared to give Lyndon Johnson a shot mere days ago, as Johnson and Goldwater were tied in the most recent Gallup poll of the state.

“There is a more general trend that seems to be appearing, even this early: many of Johnson’s voters, perhaps even more than 50%, seem to have decided to sit this election out. A majority of the rest are voting for Johnson despite his incapacitation, while a significant minority are voting for whichever of the two major party nominees they can best stomach. What affects this has on the race remains to be seen as polls close in more states.”

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2018, 04:23:25 PM »

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

This is great.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2018, 07:55:11 PM »

Three things:

I like the general story from the campaign and to the administration being spaced out but can the actual election night posts be closer together?

Also, can we get some posts about who JFK endorses or how he feels about this?

Finally, this is terrific!
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2018, 10:22:19 AM »

Three things:

I like the general story from the campaign and to the administration being spaced out but can the actual election night posts be closer together?

Also, can we get some posts about who JFK endorses or how he feels about this?

Finally, this is terrific!
1) if you mean in time, yes, I try to post 2 a day but I'm getting medical tests done (I may have cancer) so I've been busy. There will be at least one update when I get home later today.

2) JFK made a point of not endorsing anyone. After the election I'll do a Kennedy POV.

3) thanks!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2018, 10:50:51 AM »

1) if you mean in time, yes, I try to post 2 a day but I'm getting medical tests done (I may have cancer) so I've been busy. There will be at least one update when I get home later today.
Yikes! You'll be in my prayers man!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies