Dave's Redistricting App (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:49:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Dave's Redistricting App (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dave's Redistricting App  (Read 311101 times)
enlightened despot
Rookie

« on: January 10, 2010, 10:13:28 PM »

Smash,

Have you clicked the "test data" box before you select New York from the drop down menu?
enlightened despot
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2010, 01:46:47 PM by enlightened despot »

or http://i49.tinypic.com/qyu33r.jpg

Total Population: 720, 584 (-1412 from ideal w/ new population estimates)
White Population: 334, 050 (46%)
Black Population: 161, 746 (22%)
Native Population: 1, 920 (0%)
Asian Population: 68, 915 (10%)
Hispanic Population: 140, 107 (19%)
Other Population: 13, 846 (2%)

Combines all of Cambridge, Somerville, Everett, Chelsea with parts Boston.

Edit: This district is similar to Mike Capuano's 8th district, but does anyone know if I also included Stephen Lynch's residence?
enlightened despot
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:49:43 PM »

Almost surely not, Stephen Lynch lives in South Boston which demographically would never be included in this district.

Thanks!

I tried to make a nine-district map with the assumption that Lynch was either in the above minority-majority district or sharing one with Delahunt. It got very ugly thanks to no incumbents living south of Quincy. It's a long way off, but is there any clue to a retirement or which incumbents might be forced into a primary?
enlightened despot
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 09:11:40 PM »

The Red Mass Group's FAQ says the red areas are where Kerry Healey or Healey plus Christy Mihos had more votes than Deval Patrick in the 2006 gubernatorial election.
enlightened despot
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 12:14:35 PM »

I wanted to make a map for Mississippi with two black-majority seats and ended up with this chaotic monster. The blue district is 53% black (to 43% white) and the green district is 54% black (to 43% white). Unknowingly it looks like I've moved every incumbent (other than Bennie Thompson) into a unwinnable spot, as Travis Childers is stuck in the purple district and Gene Taylor is mired in the red district. It's bad for Gregg Harper too, as he's in the blue district. Could any of those guys survive this map?

enlightened despot
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 02:35:03 PM »

Florida is likely to gain one seat in the reapportionment, bring the total to 26. Based on that there should be at least 4 black and 5 Hispanic seats to maintain proportionality with the overall population. I've drawn a version to accomplish that with a maximum deviation of 52 persons using 2008 data.

The majority-minority districts are:

CD-3 (purple, Tallahassee to Jacksonville) 51.3% Black
CD-11 (pale green, Tampa/St Pete to Orlando and Sanford) 50.4% Black
CD-17 (purple-blue, Miami to Hollywood) 52.0% Black
CD-23 (sky blue, Palm Beach to Ft Lauderdale) 54.2% Black

CD-18 (yellow, Miami Beach to Key West) 58.9% Hispanic
CD-20 (pink, Davie to Hialeah) 57.9% Hispanic
CD-21 (brick red, Weston to Homestead) 60.2% Hispanic
CD-25 (dusty rose, Coral Springs to the Everglades) 60.1% Hispanic
CD-26 (gray, Orlando to Naples) 50.2% Hispanic

This site shows a redistricting case that crosses the bay, although it was a State Senate seat. I don't think your 11th district would survive, but it might be able to if it went along the southern edge of Hillsborough county. However, that would force the 9th, 10th and either the 8th or 12th to swap areas.
enlightened despot
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 02:51:18 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2010, 02:56:51 PM by enlightened despot »

I notice the list of supported states has not been updated in a long time.

1. What are the supported states?
2. What states have partisan data?

1. All but the at-large states
2. New York, California, Texas (you have to click "use test data" first before choosing those states) and Maryland (don't click "use test data") are the ones I know of.
enlightened despot
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 04:21:03 PM »

I just noticed they added Partisan data for NC!!!
After hearing about the new changes to the app I decided to make a new map for North Carolina. My first goal was to increase the black-majorities in the two black-majority districts. I made additional changes to account for residences of current congress members, while switching a lot of ground in the middle of the state.

Not much changes west of Mel Watt's district, although both Patrick McHenry and Sue Myrick were drawn into a dem-leaning district that both would probably move out from.

Overall, Obama won seven districts, McCain won six and the congressional delegation could be anywhere from 8-5 for the Democrats to 9-4 for the Republicans.

First District (Blue)
Obama margin increases 10 points (62-37 to 67-32) from old first district. Congressman G.K. Butterfield (D) lives in Wilson. This district was 50% Black, 45% White, but changes create a new district that is 52% Black, 39% White and 7% Hispanic.

Second District (Green) (former third district)
McCain margin decreases six points (61-38 to 58-41) from old second district. Congressman Walter Jones (R) lives in Farmville. This district was 78% White and 17% Black, but changes create a new district that is 73% White, 19% Black and 5% Hispanic.

Third District
(Purple) (former seventh district)
McCain margin increases 13 points (52-47 to 59-41) from old seventh district. This district does not contain the residence of any current congressman. This district was 64% White, 23% Black, but changes create a new district that is 74% White, 18% Black and 6% Hispanic.

Forth District (Red)
Obama margin decreases 18 points (62-37 to 53-46) from old fourth district. Congressman Brad Miller (D) lives in Raleigh. This district was 71% White, 21% Black and 5% Hispanic, but changes create a new district 72% White, 13% Black, 8% Hispanic and 5% Asian.

Fifth District (Yellow) (former second district)
Obama margin increases three points (52-47 to 54-46) from old second district. Congressman Mike McIntyre (D) lives in Lumberton, and Congressman Bob Etheridge (D) lives in Lillington. This district was 62% White, 30% Black and 8% Hispanic, but changes create a new district that is 53% White, 30% Black, 9% Hispanic and 5% Native.

Sixth District (Teal)
McCain margin unchanged (63-36) from old sixth. This district does not contain the residence of any current congressman, although Sue Myrick (R) lives nearby in Charlotte. This district was 87% White, 9% Black, but changes create a new district that is 80% White, 10% Black and 7% Hispanic.

Seventh District (Grey) (former eighth district)
Obama margin increases eight points (52-47 to 56-43) from old eighth district. Congressman Larry Kissell (D) lives in Biscoe. This district was 65% White, 27% Black and 7% Hispanic, but changes create a new district that is 57% White, 25% Black and 11% Hispanic.

Eight District (Blue-Purple) (former thirteenth district)
Obama margin decreases eight points (59-40 to 55-44) from old thirteenth district. Congressman David Price (D) lives in Chapel Hill, and Congressman Howard Coble (R) lives in Greensboro.This district was 66% White, 27% Black and 6% Hispanic, but changes create a new district that is 70% White, 19% Black and 7% Hispanic.

Ninth District (Neon Blue)
McCain margin decreases 18 points (55-45 to 54-46 Obama) from old ninth district. Congresswoman Sue Myrick (R) lives in Charlotte, and Congressman Patrick McHenry (R) lives in Gastonia. Myrick (sixth) and McHenry (tenth) live just outside of safe republican districts and I would expect both to do so, making this an open seat.This district was 85% White, 11% Black, but changes create a new district that is 67% White, 19% Black and 9% Hispanic.

Tenth District (Pink)
McCain margin decreases 1 point (63-36 to 62-37) from old tenth district. This district does not contain the residence of any current congressman, although Patrick McHenry (R) lives nearby in Gastonia. This district was 87% White, 9% Black, but changes create a new district that is 81% White, 10% Black and 6% Hispanic.

Eleventh District (Light Green) (former fifth district)
McCain margin is unchanged (61-38) from old fifth district. Congresswoman Virginia Foxx (R) lives in Banner Elk. This district was 90% White, 7% Black, but changes create a new district that is 86% White, 6% Black and 5% Hispanic.

Twelfth District (Sky Blue)
Obama margin increases eight points (71-29 to 75-25) from old twelfth district. Congressman Mel Watt (D) lives in Charlotte. This district was 47% White, 45% Black and 7% Hispanic, but changes create a new district that is 50% Black, 33% White and 12% Hispanic.

Thirteenth District (Peach) (former eleventh district)
McCain margin increases 1 point (52-47 to 52-46) from old eleventh district. Congressman Heath Schuler (D) lives in Bryson City. This district was 91% White, 5% Black, but changes create a new district that is 88% White, 8% Hispanic and 5% Black.
enlightened despot
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:38:30 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2010, 11:03:25 AM by enlightened despot »

Republican Gerrymander
I was inspired by Johnny Longtorso's map and suggestion that not much could be done about Heath Shuler. I put him into a strong McCain district, one of nine that the Arizonan would have taken in 2008 with this map.

First District (McCain 57 - Obama 42)
Republican Patrick McHenry (Gaston County) and Democrat Shuler (Swain County) live on opposite ends of this heavily-Republican district.

Second District (McCain 53 - Obama 46)
Republican Virginia Foxx (Avery County) holds the closest of the McCain districts in this map.

Third District (Obama 78 - McCain 22) (52% Black, 30% White, 13% Hispanic)
Democrat Mel Watt (Charlotte) now has a majority-black district (the old district was 47% White, 45% Black and 7% Hispanic).

Fourth District (McCain 60 - Obama 39)
No current incumbents live in this heavily-Republican district containing part of Winston-Salem.

Fifth District (McCain 56-43)
Republican Howard Coble (Greensboro) gains a lot of new territory, but it is just as Republican-friendly, aside from parts on the eastern edge (which allow the eighth to be more Republican)

Sixth District (McCain 55 - Obama 44)
Republican Sue Myrick (Charlotte) fills in four counties split by the third district.

Seventh District (McCain 54 - Obama 45)
Democrat Bob Etheridge (Montgomery County) loses the area around Raleigh as his district shifts more Republican.

Twelfth District (Obama 52 - McCain 47)
Democrat Mike McIntyre (Lumberton) gets the closest Obama district, with his residence barely connected to the rest of the district.

Eighth District (McCain 54 - Obama 44)
Democrat Larry Kissell (Biscoe) lives in the southern edge of this district, where the only bright spot may be that former Republican Representative Robin Hayes doesn't live here.

Ninth District (Obama 64 - McCain 35)
Democrats David Price (Chapel Hill) and Brad Miller (Raleigh) share this district, and the winner of their primary would have a comfortably-Democratic seat.

Tenth District (Obama 66 - McCain 34) (52% Black, 40% White, 6% Hispanic)
Democrat G.K. Butterfield (Wilson) holds the last of the four Obama districts. Republican Walter Jones (Farmville) lives on the edge of this district, but would likely move into the thirteenth district.

Eleventh District (McCain 54 - Obama 45)
No incumbents live in this district (Miller is the closest) that would favor a Republican.

Thirteenth District (McCain 58 - Obama 41)
This district is similar to the current third district and current-representative Jones would be a good fit if he moved slightly toward the coast.

Edit: I went back and saw that a 10th McCain district was possible by trading land between the 12th (got the inland parts south of the 10th district) and 13th (got Wilmington).
enlightened despot
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 07:44:58 PM »

I can't get the app to load any states and may have lost the states directories. Does anyone know how to recreate those? I'm using a mac running osx.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies