How far will Trump drop? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:58:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How far will Trump drop? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How far will Trump drop?  (Read 2350 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: October 08, 2016, 10:16:15 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks this will only marginally move the polls? Maybe I'm just jaded by this inexplicable election, but those who are supporting Trump are largely going to stick with him. There will be some movement on the margins and a pre-Friday 6 point lead for Hillary might become 8. If the GOP totally disowns Trump, which looks like is occurring, it might become 10 due to lower enthusiasm/turnout. I just don't see that many minds being changed though.

Sure, a lot of Republican politicians are jumping ship but they already knew this ship was going to sink even before these comments. These comments just give them an excellent excuse to distance themselves from him, and run on a message of being a check on Hillary. This doesn't mean the GOP base feels any different today. Hell, just see how Heck and Ryan were greeted by GOP voters today. That core 40-42% of the population is sticking with him.

I think it might not impact his number too much, but might shift the undecideds to Hillary at a stronger rate.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 10:26:18 PM »

I think this causes Trump to drop out.

The number of elected Republicans abandoning him at this point is unprecedented.  Goldwater and McGovern had nowhere near as many defections from their party elected officials and nominated candidates as Donald Trump had BEFORE this occurred.

Before this, I thought the folks abandoning Trump were ruining their careers.  This sort of thing will give them all cover.  And I think Trump will quit.  He doesn't want to be shellacked, and he doesn't want to be responsible for the GOP taking a shellacking.

Oh, I think he's out for blood and doesn't give a f*** about the GOP right now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies