political views tied towards hobbies (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:21:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  political views tied towards hobbies (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: political views tied towards hobbies  (Read 8184 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: April 19, 2015, 06:18:28 PM »

I'd argue that niche subcultures can have a pretty profound impact on people's political views. I don't think liberals necessarily gravitate towards film or art or music but when people do gravitate towards these hobbies, they become surrounded by leftists and liberals, which influences how they think about politics.  I'd argue that the more specific, niche and tight-knit subcultures exert a stronger influence on political views. It's also worth noting that hobbies are often politicized: hunting, fishing, "shooting" and other outdoor activities are regulated by the state. Attending "punk" house shows places interested listeners in opposition to the police, even if they're white and otherwise privileged. Fans of EDM or psychedelic music tend to be comfortable with drug use or partake in drug use, which places them in opposition to the police and mainstream political rhetoric.

I'd wager that Baseball is less right-wing than people would imagine: it's highly popular in rural areas of "blue" states in the Midwest and New England. There are also many avid Latino baseball fans in cities like New York and LA. Chicanos had a brief love affair with the Dodgers; Puerto Ricans and Dominicans love Baseball. Arguably, Puerto Ricans, Cubans and Dominicans are demographics most interested in baseball.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies