CARLHAYDEN's not gonna like this... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:18:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CARLHAYDEN's not gonna like this... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CARLHAYDEN's not gonna like this...  (Read 6950 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: June 15, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
« edited: June 15, 2012, 08:00:16 PM by ag »

I don't understand how the POTUS has the unilateral power to do this. And is it clear that he does? If not, I see another SCOTUS case on the horizon.

Prosecutorial discretion?

Anyway, there may be any number of legitimate legal reasons to object to implementing this through executive action. But if, say, Romney does, he will be certainly asked if, as president, he'd work to have something similar passed into law. If he says "yes", it may remove the political angle from it, but would piss many of his supporters. If he says "no", Hispanics have just gotten a big reason to register en masse and vote. 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 08:05:38 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2012, 08:08:12 PM by ag »

This issue became immensely more personal to me when I discovered that a few of my cousins are illegal immigrants. If only Obama had the balls to do this at the start of his presidency and not as a political ploy to win the support of more Latinos...

Actually, this may also lead to many people "coming out" - if you have to register w/ the government, anyway, no reason to keep it private. So, there could be quite a few people who'll find out that their cousins, friends, classmates, etc. are illegal migrants: it's going to bring this up close and personal across the board in many Hispanic (and other migrant) communities.

But, sure, it would have looked a lot better, if it were not happening after years and years of massive deportations by this administration.

Still, it makes it obvious what to do in your situation: if Obama wins, your cousins will have 4 years of safe life in the US. If he looses, they won't. You love your cousins? Then go out registering voters. Not for Obama's sake - who cares about him - but for their.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies