Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:31:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 105
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 318086 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: April 05, 2018, 03:05:45 PM »

Why do Abrams and Kasim Reed hate each other so much?
Not sure how far their feud dates back but I do know that Kasim Reed and former Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin hate each other. Stacey Abrams was Deputy City Attorney under the Franklin administration.

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1526 on: April 06, 2018, 08:12:43 AM »

First Stacey Evans TV Ad

https://youtu.be/5wemvAYiv5U

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1527 on: April 06, 2018, 01:02:05 PM »

I know signage doesn't mean much, but I've been struck by how few signs there have been for gubernatorial candidates compared to downballot races.  In my usual haunts (northern suburbs and exurbs of Atlanta) I've seen a grand total of 1 Hill, 2 Cagle, and 2 Kemp signs.  But the roads are cluttered with signs for State House and Senate candidates.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1528 on: April 06, 2018, 01:25:49 PM »

I know signage doesn't mean much, but I've been struck by how few signs there have been for gubernatorial candidates compared to downballot races.  In my usual haunts (northern suburbs and exurbs of Atlanta) I've seen a grand total of 1 Hill, 2 Cagle, and 2 Kemp signs.  But the roads are cluttered with signs for State House and Senate candidates.

Nobody likes the Governor candidates, apparently
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1529 on: April 06, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »

I know signage doesn't mean much, but I've been struck by how few signs there have been for gubernatorial candidates compared to downballot races.  In my usual haunts (northern suburbs and exurbs of Atlanta) I've seen a grand total of 1 Hill, 2 Cagle, and 2 Kemp signs.  But the roads are cluttered with signs for State House and Senate candidates.
I live, work, travel, protest, etc in the East metro suburbs/exurbs of ATL, Kemp is overwhelmingly represented out here. I see his signs like everywhere. I can't even count how many I've seen. Hill would have the second most if I had to guesstimate, and I've only see one Cagle sign.

Me and a group that I'm involved with plan to each get 10 people in our social circles to put up Abrams signs as well as put some up in public areas so we can begin get her some name rec out here.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1530 on: April 06, 2018, 03:44:03 PM »

Transcript of an interview by Denis O'Hayer of WABE of Casey Cagle explaining why he helped kill Delta's tax break (from https://politics.myajc.com/blog/politics/the-jolt-casey-cagle-whether-the-nra-and-2nd-amendment-are-one-and-the-same/QXboytq7WRTdDkrpSEjMZN/):

You must be logged in to read this quote.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1531 on: April 07, 2018, 09:28:22 AM »

Georgia governor fundraising numbers (Q1 contributions / total to date / cash on hand)

Source: https://politics.myajc.com/blog/politics/tide-new-cash-rocks-georgia-governor-race/68pv8JBXzWX39loqxc9haI/

Democrats:

Stacey Abrams: 1.0M / 3.3M / 898K
Stacey Evans: 320K  / 2.6M / 1.5M

Republicans:

Casey Cagle: 20K / 6.8M / 4.5M
Hunter Hill: 443K / 2.7M / 1.1M
Brian Kemp: 35K / 2.9M / 1.6M
Clay Tippins: 405K / 2.5M / 1.6M
Michael Williams: missed deadline, no information
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1532 on: April 07, 2018, 09:30:05 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 09:36:20 AM by DTC »

Yeah Abrams is the better candidate lol. I don't think she's a great candidate (she's relying too much on national politics I think), but she's our best shot. The republicans running for the nomination seem to be absolutely batsh!t.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1533 on: April 07, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »

Yeah Abrams is the better candidate lol. I don't think she's a great candidate (she's relying too much on national politics I think), but she's our best shot. The republicans running for the nomination seem to be absolutely batsh!t.
She kind of needs the National Democratic infrastructure, the Democratic establishment in our state is backing Evans because they think Abrams can’t win. It is heartening to see that Abrams outraised Evans 2-to-1 and even her $325k total from Georgia residents outdid Evans’ entire haul.

I don’t mind the National Party swooping in with resources to get black rural voters to the polls. It’s more than what the state party has been doing.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1534 on: April 07, 2018, 03:14:51 PM »

She kind of needs the National Democratic infrastructure, the Democratic establishment in our state is backing Evans because they think Abrams can’t win. It is heartening to see that Abrams outraised Evans 2-to-1 and even her $325k total from Georgia residents outdid Evans’ entire haul.

I don’t mind the National Party swooping in with resources to get black rural voters to the polls. It’s more than what the state party has been doing.
Stacey Evans seems to have run a very quiet campaign to date.  Abrams, on the other hand, seems to have a much larger profile, and also seems to have the kind of energy that's needed to pull off an upset in a liberalizing, yet still conservative, state like Georgia.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1535 on: April 07, 2018, 08:42:21 PM »

Here's a stream of a debate Evans and Abrams had last night hosted by the Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys.

https://gsu.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=063d33d6-793e-4c40-a9cc-a8b800dfca9d
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #1536 on: April 07, 2018, 11:27:24 PM »

Here's a stream of a debate Evans and Abrams had last night hosted by the Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys.

https://gsu.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=063d33d6-793e-4c40-a9cc-a8b800dfca9d

That’s a very specific organization.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1537 on: April 08, 2018, 02:19:09 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2018, 03:02:45 AM by YE »

Watching the GA debate now. Not impressed by either candidate (first two questions are about how a women is fit to be governor and a black women could be governor... say what you're for) but then again I'm a white western populist. Not exactly a key constitute in the peach state democratic primary.

Edit: Watching the whole thing, both seem decent all in all, and glad to see issues like gentrification brought up or even minor stuff like making it illegal for employers to ask on pay history raised. If I lived in GA, I'd probably narrowly vote for Evans. Closer to me socially and economically than Abrams. Traditional logic says Evans is more electable but I think Abrams could get someone like John Burrow SOS due to his crossover appeal and higher black turnout with Abrams.

Also I don't think either Abrams and Evans are either personally very wealthy. I actually believed a word of what they say but I'm also not sure if they're 100% ready to be governor at least not yet.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1538 on: April 08, 2018, 09:40:33 AM »

Watching the GA debate now. Not impressed by either candidate (first two questions are about how a women is fit to be governor and a black women could be governor... say what you're for) but then again I'm a white western populist. Not exactly a key constitute in the peach state democratic primary.

Edit: Watching the whole thing, both seem decent all in all, and glad to see issues like gentrification brought up or even minor stuff like making it illegal for employers to ask on pay history raised. If I lived in GA, I'd probably narrowly vote for Evans. Closer to me socially and economically than Abrams. Traditional logic says Evans is more electable but I think Abrams could get someone like John Burrow SOS due to his crossover appeal and higher black turnout with Abrams.

Also I don't think either Abrams and Evans are either personally very wealthy. I actually believed a word of what they say but I'm also not sure if they're 100% ready to be governor at least not yet.

Good insights! What did they say about gentrification?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1539 on: April 12, 2018, 07:01:57 PM »

I just got robopolled on the Democratic gubernatorial primary, so maybe we'll see something published soon.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1540 on: April 14, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »

I know some of us have treated John Barrow being the Dem nominee for Secretary of State as a foregone conclusion, and it very well may still happen but I met with another candidate running for the seat named Dee Dawkins-Haigler. I actually supported when she ran for my State Senate District, where she lost the Democratic Primary run-off by 8 (!) votes.

Anyway, she used to represent House District 91 in DeKalb and Rockdale counties. She was asked how she was going to beat Barrow, and she said even though he is a former federal politician, he doesn't have statewide recognition. She believes she has the base of support in the Metro Atlanta area that he doesn't, and she's been laser focused on building support here and in Southwest and Central Georgia (think Columbus, Macon, Albany, and the heavily African-American rural counties that surround it). She said voters in these areas have not been reached out to by him and she proclaims it's her race to lose. And she believes that in a battle where voters do not know who any of them are, they will chose her as the majority of the Democratic electorate will be women (plurality black women) and they tend to choose the woman candidate when they have no clue who any of the people are.

I was actually going to vote for her as a little nod to her because I know of her and like her, but she could actually win this thing, it is 2 weeks out from early voting, and I don't see why anyone would know who Barrow is and why he would run stronger statewide than his opponents.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1541 on: April 14, 2018, 06:17:37 PM »

This is obviously much bigger news than anything happening on the Democratic side:  Cagle endorsed by NRA.

Not necessarily surprising due to Cagle's history with the NRA, but the timing couldn't have been worse for Kemp - he had penned an open letter to the NRA asking them to stay neutral just this week.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1542 on: April 16, 2018, 04:39:19 PM »

Planned Parenthood has endorsed Abrams: https://politics.myajc.com/blog/politics/planned-parenthood-endorses-abrams-making-waves-democratic-race/V1XE4fwesqQqo8jMwUB3fK/
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1543 on: April 17, 2018, 01:56:05 PM »

The Planned Parenthood endorsement is another blow to the narrative being covertly pushed that Evans is actually more progressive than Abrams. LOL.

Here is Leader Abrams’ first television ad!

https://youtu.be/0Ow36v0odkg
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #1544 on: April 18, 2018, 08:40:18 AM »

Kasim Reed has received a federal subpoena regarding his rampant corruption at Atlanta City Hall.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/former-mayor-kasim-reed-named-atlanta-city-hall-corruption-subpoena/hwt9uxArcR4cdzLtySbMUI/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is great news! Hopefully Reed, who was an awful mayor, won't ever get the chance to be an awful representative for the state at a larger scale.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1545 on: April 19, 2018, 04:54:50 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2018, 05:14:25 PM by RFKFan68 »

AJC did a poll of the Democratic Primary. Abrams is up 33-15 with 52 percent undecided.

https://politics.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/ajc-poll-most-democrats-haven-decided-governor-race/uGd3sbhqNtjfGpwFYbtQEL/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=politics_fb

Article notes that Abrams’ team is adamant that their electoral strategy will be built around low propensity voters and that her supporters will not be as likely to be polled.

GOP Primary poll to come next week.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1546 on: April 19, 2018, 05:15:47 PM »

AJC did a poll of the Democratic Primary. Abrams is up 32-15 with 52 percent undecided.

https://politics.myajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/ajc-poll-most-democrats-haven-decided-governor-race/uGd3sbhqNtjfGpwFYbtQEL/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=politics_fb

Article notes that Abrams’ team is adamant that their electoral strategy will be built around low propensity voters and that her supporters will not be as likely to be polled.

GOP Primary poll to come next week.

I don't think this is the robopoll on the D primary that called me a few days ago; it didn't have some of these questions.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1547 on: April 19, 2018, 09:49:05 PM »

This undecided guy is doing really well
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1548 on: April 25, 2018, 03:48:17 PM »

Emily's List and BlackPAC Georgia is up with a new statewide Abrams ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDt4RUUZnQw
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #1549 on: April 26, 2018, 09:05:08 AM »

Deal is at net positive approval among Dem primary voters?
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies