Mayor Pete
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:29:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Mayor Pete
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21
Author Topic: Mayor Pete  (Read 61949 times)
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: January 13, 2019, 05:50:31 PM »

JASON NO
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #451 on: January 13, 2019, 07:48:23 PM »

He'll win
Late results are from the St. Louis metro.
vanteran
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #452 on: January 13, 2019, 10:52:24 PM »

What's going on in the Nevada and Montana Senate races?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #453 on: January 14, 2019, 02:23:39 AM »

What's going on in the Nevada and Montana Senate races?

Oh, missed it! Updated, thanks.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #454 on: January 14, 2019, 05:45:48 AM »

Mike

The Lord was not willing, it seemed.

Mike Pence silently watched the results, standing besides his wife. At the beginning of the night, it started out well- it felt like he had a chance, with the results looking similar to 2016 or 2020, but in the past hour or two it all went down hill. Buttigieg started winning states left and right- places like Maine, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, even Florida and Georgia. It was going to be a landslide.

The Vice President tried not to be too bitter- surely, He had a plan even if it included that... amoral, sinning liberal becoming President. In the end, all would work out for good Christians. But losing all these other states was bad enough- what truly made him bitter was his own state. The people of Indiana, majority conservatives, gave the Pence family a true humiliation, refusing to elect his brother Governor and him President, choosing instead a liberal woman and his ultra liberal opponnent.

"It's fine, Mike," the Second Lady said, her voice a bit distant like always. "You had a great career, and you're still not done."

"It's not just losing," he muttered angrily. "My own former constituents, chose that liberal homosexual extremist over me. They humiliated our family!"

Before she could answer, Fox News interrupted her with a projection alert. "And now," one of the anchors said dramatically, "there are two other projections we're able to make right now, and they're big- in the state of Michigan, we're calling the Presidential race for Democrat Pete Buttigieg, he wins this usually Democratic state that Republicans started targeting ever since President Trump won it in 2016."

Mike sighed. In the end, he had a good run in politics- he started as a radio talkshow host, became a congressman, a Governor, a Vice President, even secured his brother a position in congress, despite the fact that he just lost it in a failed bid for Governor. He advanced through the ranks, despite everything being stacked against him- America was moving left on the social issues he cared about, but he trudged on, carrying the banner of social conservatives. He failed, but not before helping mold the Republican Party in his image. He might not become President, but the Republican Party's traditional values will be kept, at least for now.

"Nick, come here," he said to his campaign manager, who was standing alone with a glass of beer, gloomy.

Nick Ayres approached. "Yes, Mr. Vice President?"

He patted him on the shoulder. "Hand me the cellphone." Nick nodded and silently gave him a smartphone. Mike went through the contacts and found the name they saved earlier that day- "Pete Buttigieg." He sighed again and dialed.

The Governor of Indiana and soon to be President-elect answered quickly. "Hello?"

"Hello, Governor Buttigieg," the Vice President started, "this is Mike Pence. Congratulations."

Michigan Presidential Election (86% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC WIN
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 49.6% ✓
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 43.5%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 4.2%
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #455 on: January 14, 2019, 08:08:12 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2019, 02:25:46 AM by Parrotguy »

ELECTION NIGHT, Part VIII

Cooper: And finally, we've reached 10 PM tonight and we're able to make several calls- including one huge one! So to start, we're calling the Presidential Election for the Pete Buttigieg! Indiana Governor Pete Buttigieg is now President-elect, and North Carolina Senator Anthony Foxx is Vice President-elect!

Knowles: Indeed, a historic night as Democrats win the Presidency by a storm, electing the first ever homosexual President of the United States, and the first African American Vice President of the United States. And the calls that finally brought us to this determination are the states of California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington, all of which we're calling for the Democratic ticket. This brings the Buttigieg/Foxx ticket up to 332 electoral votes.

Tapper: And there are other major calls we're able to make right now- with a large batch of votes from Las Vegas in, we're confidently calling Nevada for the Democratic ticket. And with most of the prescints in, we're able to call the state of Ohio for Governor Buttigieg too, a narrow but important victory in a once pure swing state state that became Republican leaning. These are two major wins that bring the Democratic ticket to 355 electoral votes, edging closer to the 400 landslide territory. We also have a call that might console the Republican ticket a bit- we're calling the state of Montana for Vice President Pence and Senator Hawley.

United States 2024 Presidential Election Map

Arizona Presidential Election (83% Reporting)- TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 48.4%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 43.0%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 5.6%

California Presidential Election (1% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC WIN
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 66.8% ✓
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 21.2%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 9.6%

Hawaii Presidential Election (1% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC WIN
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 70.3% ✓
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 15.5%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 11.1%

Iowa Presidential Election (65% Reporting)- TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 47.3%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 45.2%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 3.7%

Maine's 2nd Congressional District Presidential Election (95% Reporting)- TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 46.7%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 46.0%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 4.1%

Montana Presidential Election (64% Reporting)- REPUBLICAN WIN
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 48.5% ✓
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 43.6%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 3.5%
City Councillor Nicholas Sarwark (L-AZ)- 3.5%

Nevada Presidential Election (70% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC WIN
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 52.2% ✓
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 40.1%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 5.0%

Ohio Presidential Election (99% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC WIN
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 45.7% ✓
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 45.0%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 5.6%

Oregon Presidential Election (1% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC WIN
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 51.5% ✓
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 31.7%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 12.5%

Texas Presidential Election (91% Reporting)- TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 47.4%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 43.5%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 5.8%

Utah Presidential Election (67% Reporting)- TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 32.1%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 31.7%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 30.4%

Washington Presidential Election (1% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC WIN
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 53.8% ✓
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 33.2%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 9.2%

Wisconsin Presidential Election (81% Reporting)- TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 49.1%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 45.0%

Bash: There are also a few of the remaining Senate races that we've been able to call. In Arizona, Democratic Senator Kyrsten Sinema will win reelection after a tough battle against former Governor Ducey; Nevada Senator Jacky Rosen will also easily be reelected, another hold for Democrats; and this one is major- in the state of Texas, Democrat Colin Allred will win the Senate race, unseating Republican Senator Ted Cruz. This is a victory many Democrats, who strongly dislike the ultra-conservative Cruz, have been waiting for, and now makes their filibuster-proof majority dependent on two factors, the former of which is basically guaranteed- if Senator Bernie Sanders continues caucusing with Democrats, and if Senator Jon Tester will win reelection in Montana, they will have 60 seats in the Senate.

Arizona Senate Race (83% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC HOLD
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D)*- 52.8% ✓
Fmr. Governor Doug Ducey (R)- 46.1%

Montana Dakota Senate Race (64% Reporting)- TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Senator Jon Tester (D)*- 49.2%
Fmr. Sec. Ryan Zinke (R)- 48.9%

Nevada Dakota Senate Race (70% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC HOLD
Senator Jacky Rosen (D)*- 53.4% ✓
Fmr. Lt. Gov. Mark Hutchison (R)- 44.8%

Texas Senate Race (91% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC GAIN
U.S. Rep. Colin Allred (D)- 50.8% ✓
Senator Ted Cruz (R)*- 47.5%

Missouri Gubernatorial Race (97% Reporting)- TOO CLOSE TO CALL
Fmr. U.S. Rep. Ann Wagner (R)- 50.0%
Governor Jason Kander (D)*- 49.7%
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #456 on: January 14, 2019, 08:10:08 AM »

Plz don't make Jason lose
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #457 on: January 14, 2019, 08:18:57 AM »

As an inspiration from this TL, I'm being Mayor Pete in an election game.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #458 on: January 14, 2019, 09:52:11 AM »

As an inspiration from this TL, I'm being Mayor Pete in an election game.

Glad to hear!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #459 on: January 14, 2019, 10:43:29 AM »

Pete

President-elect Pete Buttigieg.

That was weird. He thought about running in 2016 but decided that the Indiana gubernatorial election is a better choice. Then he wanted to serve two terms as Governor but Jason convinced him to run, but he didn't actually think he'd get through the primary. But he did, and now he won, and it looked like it was going to be a landslide. He felt happy, of course, and proud, but also afraid of what was to come. He had a huge responsibility now- he was the leader of the free world. Tens of millions of citizens depended on him.

"Mr. President-elect," campaign manager Jen O'Malley Dillon approached him, slightly smiling at the title. "Anthony is finishing his speech, the American people are ready to hear you."

He nodded, satisfied. "What about Jason, is there a projection?"

Her expression grew grim. "We're pretty sure he's going to lose. St. Louis is almost depleted and there are still a few votes in the rural areas. It looks like his focus on helping us, and his visibility on the trail with us around the country, let Wagner turn enough people away from him and towards her despite his high popularity."

"A shame." Pete sighed. "I can't help but feel a bit guilty- the people of Missouri lost a great Governor. But we'll give Jason a good position in our administration, he deserves it. Now, let's go."

"...And so, I'm very honoured to introduce to you the President-elect of the United States, Pete Buttigieg!" The Vice President-elect finished his speech and retreated from the podium, giving Pete a hug as he approached the podium himself.

"My friends and supporters, people of South Bend, my fellow Hoosiers, and most importantly, my fellow Americans. I'm so happy to be speaking with you today, and grateful that you have given me the great honour of addressing you as your humble President-elect!" The crowd cheered wildly, filling the hall with chants of Mayor Pete! Mayor Pete!

"A hour ago," he continued, "Vice President Mike Pence called to concede the Presidential election and congratulated me on our victory tonight. He was very gracious and kind, and wished us all luck in our work in the next four years. First, I want to thank the Vice President and Senator Hawley for a spirited, hard-fought campaign, and I hope that we can unite and move on from the polarization of the election and of the Trump administration. I also want to thank Governor Scott and Representative Cox, two fantastic public servants who ran a great campaign and spoke about important issues."

He grinned to the crowd. "Now, starting from January, it's time to get to work! We're going to enter Washington, D.C. with fire in our hearts and, in tandem with congress, start implementing our agenda for the American people. In my first hundred days, we're going to present a plan that will bring universal healthcare to the American people, finally covering everyone! We'll pass an immigration reform that will set a security standard in our southern border while giving hardworking immigrants a path to citizenship! We'll implement reforms and negotiate with other countries to address the climate crisis with urgency! We'll keep speaking up and protecting all Americans, no matter their race, gender, religion, country of birth or sexual orientation! We'll restore our image in the world, becoming a nation that is respected and revered again! And we'll do so much more to reform and build on the progress we've already made!"

"In my vision, we stand together as one nation, our democracy pluralistic and thriving but united about our core set of values. I intend to do everything to be the President for everyone, and leave no one behind." Pete said loudly. "So let's do this! Let's march forward, to the future!"

It was done. Mayor Pete won the election, and he was President-elect of the United States.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #460 on: January 14, 2019, 10:58:35 AM »

So many painful downballot losses.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #461 on: January 14, 2019, 12:38:03 PM »

ELECTION NIGHT, Part VIII

Knowles: So we just watched a historic and, if I may say for myself, inspiring speech by the President-elect, Pete Buttigieg. We're also told that Vice President Pence is scheduled to make his concession speech in the morning, after Senator Hawley spoke to their supporters tonight and conceded to Vice President-elect Foxx. President Trump, meanwhile, is silent, and we're waiting on some message from the White House in regards to the election.

Tapper: But for now, our election still isn't over. We've reached the 11 PM hour and we're closing the polls in the final state, Alaska, where we project it's too early to call, with Vice President Pence leading. We can also project some good news for the Republicans- Pence wins a narrow victory in Maine's 2nd congressional district, truly a surprising result in light of the landslide Buttigeg achieved otherwise. At the same time, though, we're projecting that Governor Buttigeg will win the state of Arizona comfortably.

Cooper: Hold everything, we have quite a historic projection to make. For the first time since 1976, the state of Texas will vote for the Democratic ticket, Pete Buttigeg and Anthony Foxx. Finally, after electing a Democratic Governor in 2022 and after years of speculation about its move to the left, Pete Buttigieg will win Texas on a coalition of minorities, urban and suburban voters, who turned out in droves this year. It's definitely big, and a huge problem for Republicans, who need this state to win elections, going forward.

Bash: But at the same time, a disappointment to Democrats. We're able to call the Missouri gubernatorial race right now, and it'll go to Republican Ann Wagner. It's also a historic election, as Wagner becomes the state's first female Governor. Most pundits and observers agree that the reason for the popular Kander's loss here is a mix of a good, principled campaign by the Republican former Representative, and Kander chairing Pete Buttigieg's Presidential campaign and putting a lot of focus on it, leaving some Missouri voters to feel neglected. However, it might not be over for Kander's political career- sources inside the Buttigeg campaign are already telling us that he's likely to net a high-ranking cabinet position.

Knowles: Stand by for two new projections. In the state of Wisconsin, we can call the Presidential race for the Democratic ticket, adding another victory to their column. At the same time, Republicans can feel at least a bit comforted as they win the state of Alaska, although it's narrower than expected.

Enten: The rust belt has really not delivered for Republicans tonight. They did better there than in states like Virginia or Colorado, but they still lost states like Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and even Wisconsin by comfortable margins. Buttigeg's victory is certainly impressive.

Tapper: And finally, folks, we have two last projections in the Presidential race- in the state of Iowa, Pete Buttigeg will win the Presidential race, taking back a state that has been moving far from Democrats in recent years. And finally, a historic result in the state of Utah- we can project that an independent ticket, Governor Phil Scott of Vermont and Congressman Spencer Cox of Utah, will carry the state, narrowly defeating Pence and Buttigeg in a three-way as Utah continues to warn the Republican party- they don't like the current path.

Bash: Lastly, we have a final call in our downballot races- in Montana, Democrats will keep the Senate seat as Senator Jon Tester wins reelection, securing 61 seats for his party in the next congress. A lot to be happy about if you're a Democrat right now.

Cooper: And with this, we close our coverage of election night 2024. It's been a long and intensive night that resulted in a Democratic congress and with President-elect Pete Buttigeg defeating Vice President Mike Pence by what many consider a landslide- 424 electoral votes against 108 for Pence and 6 for Scott and Cox.

Knowles: Thank you all for tuning in, and good night!

Alaska Presidential Election (66% Reporting)- REPUBLICAN WIN
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 42.4% ✓
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 37.1%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 14.5%
City Councillor Nicholas Sarwark (L-AZ)- 3.7%

Arizona Presidential Election (98% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC WIN
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 48.7% ✓
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 42.9%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 5.5%

Iowa Presidential Election (95% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC WIN
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 47.1% ✓
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 45.5%

Maine's 2nd Congressional District Presidential Election (99% Reporting)- REPUBLICAN WIN
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 46.6% ✓
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 46.0%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 4.3%

Texas Presidential Election (98% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC WIN
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 47.5% ✓
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 43.6%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 5.8%

Utah Presidential Election (96% Reporting)- INDEPENDENT WIN
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 32.3% ✓
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 31.4%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 30.7%

Wisconsin Presidential Election (97% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC WIN
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 48.8% ✓
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 45.7%
Governor Phil Scott (I-VT)- 3.6%

Montana Senate Race (95% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC HOLD
Senator Jon Tester (D)*- 50.4% ✓
Fmr. Sec. Ryan Zinke (R)- 47.8%

Missouri Gubernatorial Race (99% Reporting)- REPUBLICAN GAIN
Fmr. U.S. Rep. Ann Wagner (R)- 49.9% ✓
Governor Jason Kander (D)*- 49.7%
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #462 on: January 14, 2019, 12:47:27 PM »

How is the Senate 61 Democrats?

It looks like 60 to my count.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #463 on: January 14, 2019, 12:53:41 PM »

61 including Sanders, I believe. Anyway, in the next few days I'll make a detailed results post so I'll correct any mistakes then.

As for the downballot losses- well, polarization caught on and some losses were expected, but Democrats actually lost most of these seats in 2018 irl, and now they also gained Texas.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #464 on: January 14, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »

61 including Sanders, I believe. Anyway, in the next few days I'll make a detailed results post so I'll correct any mistakes then.

As for the downballot losses- well, polarization caught on and some losses were expected, but Democrats actually lost most of these seats in 2018 irl, and now they also gained Texas.

What you had:

before 2018: 51-49 R (just like our timeline)

2018: D+2; 51-49 D
R gain: MO (1)
D gain: TN, AZ, NV (3)

2020: D+2; 53-47 D
R gain: AL (1)
D gain: NC, MT, CO (3)

2022: D+11; 64-36 D
D gain: PA, WI, OH, IA, MO, NC, KY, GA, FL, LA, AZ (11)

2024: R+4; 60-40 D
R gain: WV, IN, TN, FL, ND (5)
D gain: TX (1)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #465 on: January 14, 2019, 02:37:37 PM »

Phil!
Pete!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #466 on: January 17, 2019, 02:24:47 AM »

What you had:

before 2018: 51-49 R (just like our timeline)

2018: D+2; 51-49 D
R gain: MO (1)
D gain: TN, AZ, NV (3)

2020: D+2; 53-47 D
R gain: AL (1)
D gain: NC, MT, CO (3)

2022: D+11; 64-36 D
D gain: PA, WI, OH, IA, MO, NC, KY, GA, FL, LA, AZ (11)

2024: R+4; 60-40 D
R gain: WV, IN, TN, FL, ND (5)
D gain: TX (1)

Yep, just checked- you're correct. Fixed, thanks!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #467 on: January 17, 2019, 02:58:10 AM »

I don’t think the GOP loses TX while they gain FL
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #468 on: January 17, 2019, 07:59:54 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2019, 05:43:18 AM by Parrotguy »

The 2024 Presidential and Downballot Elections- Final Results

Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)\Senator Anthony Foxx (D-NC)- 51.2%, 424 Electoral Votes ✓
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)\Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO)- 40.3%, 108 Electoral Votes
Governor Phil Scott (R\I-VT)\U.S. Rep. Spencer J. Cox (R\I-UT)- 5.5%, 6 Electoral Votes
Businessman Don Blankenship (C-WV)\Fmr. U.S. Rep. Steve Stockman (C-TX)- 1.5%, 0 Electoral Votes
City Councillor Nicholas Sarwark (L-AZ)\Activist Zoltan Istvan (L-CA)- 0.9%, 0 Electoral Votes
Activist Howie Hawkins (G-NY)\Activist Gary Swing (G-AZ)- 0.3%, 0 Electoral Votes
Others- 0.3%, 0 Electoral Votes

2024 U.S. Senate Election Map

Composition of the U.S. Senate:

Democratic Majority: 60 Seats
Democrats: 59 Seats  (-3)
Independents (Caucusing with the Democrats): 1 Seat  (-1)

Republican Minority: 40 Seats
Republicans: 40 Seats  (+4)

Senate Leadership:
Senate Majority Leader: Chuck Schumer (D-NY)
Senate Majority Whip: Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV)

Senate Minority Leader: John Thune (R-SD)
Senate Minority Whip: John Barrasso (R-WY)

Freshman and Freshwoman class, 2025: Xavier Becerra (D-CA), Lisa Blunt Rochester (D-DE), Brian Mast (R-FL), Eric Holcomb (R-IN), Jared Golden (D-ME), John Sarbanes (D-MD), Elissa Slotkin (D-MI), Jim Talent (R-MO), Adrian Smith (R-NE), Mikie Sherrill (D-NJ), Doug Burgum (R-ND), Mark Green (R-TN), Colin Allred (D-TX), Abigail Spanberger (D-VA), Roger Hanshaw (R-WV), John Curtis (R-UT).

Composition of the U.S. House of Representatives:

Democratic Party: 257  (-8)
Republcian Party: 178  (+8)

House Leadership:
House Speaker: Ben Ray Luján (D-NM)
House Majority Leader: Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY)
House Majority Whip: Haley Stevens (D-MI)

House Minority Leader: Steve Scalise (R-LA)
House Minority Whip: Mark Walker (R-NC)

2024 Gubernatorial Elections Map

State of the U.S. Governorships:
Democratic Party- 31  (-1)
Republican Party- 19  (+1)

New Governors, 2025: Ann Wagner (R-MO), Gordon MacDonald (R-NH), Kiah Morris (D-VT).
vanteran
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #469 on: January 17, 2019, 11:37:59 PM »

Not that it really affects the results, but since I'm a nerd for this kind of stuff, who were the Republican opponents in Hawaii and Washington Senate races? And who are currently the gubernatorial leaders for both parties? 
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #470 on: January 17, 2019, 11:42:47 PM »

Steve Scalise is Ohio, not Wisconsin.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #471 on: January 18, 2019, 04:51:15 AM »

He's actually Louisiana, but yeah, typo Tongue

Not that it really affects the results, but since I'm a nerd for this kind of stuff, who were the Republican opponents in Hawaii and Washington Senate races? And who are currently the gubernatorial leaders for both parties? 

Sure, thanks for the interest!

Hawaii Senate Race (100% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC HOLD
Senator Mazie Hirono (D)*- 70.6% ✓
Fmr. State Rep. Andria Tupola (R)- 29.4%

Washington Senate Race (100% Reporting)- DEMOCRATIC HOLD
Senator Maria Cantwell (D)*- 57.3% ✓
Fmr. U.S. Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R)- 42.7%

Chairwoman of the Democratic Governoes Association: Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham
Chairman of the Republican Governors Association: Governor Mark Gordon (R-WY)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #472 on: January 18, 2019, 06:15:24 PM »

A Dawn of a New Era- The Transition

President-elect Pete Buttigieg meeting former President Obama and Senator Donnelly to discuss the transition

Following his landslide election victory against Vice President Mike Pence, President-elect Pete Buttigieg and Vice President-elect Anthony Foxx immediately got to work on the first step towards their new administration- the transition from President Trump to President Buttigeg. The President-elect's new decision was to make fellow Hoosier Joe Donnelly, the defeated Senator from Indiana, his Chair of Transition, citing his organizational skills and their familiarity.

After a few days that had some pundits speculating he'd refuse to hold that traditional meeting, President Donald Trump agreed to meet the Democrat who'd replace him in office and invited him to the White House. The two sat down to discuss the process of transition before appearing together in a short televized sitdown, that included Buttigeg famously remaining firm during one of Trump's signature rough handshakes. President Trump stated that he'd cooperate to lead a "smooth, democratic transition" despite previously calling the election 'rigged', while Buttigeg thanked the soon-to-be former President for his service and promised to call on him for any advise he might require "of a man such as you". He also seeked advice from past Presidents, meeting Barack Obama and Bill Clinton, and generally seemed to look for advice from people around him.

After that episode, the transition started going in a fast pace and it seemed like every week it brought more news of big names being considered for major cabinet positions. With Democrats out of the White House for eight years, major names and politicians were itching to work for a popular President-elect with bright congressional prospects, leading to what turned out to be a star-studded cabinet.

Several figures close to Buttigieg were considered likely to appear in a cabinet position in some constellation- Governor Jason Kander (D-MO) and Transition Chair and Senator Joe Donnelly (D-IN), who were both defeated in 2024. Another rumoured contender was Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI), whose second term was up in 2026 but who could also be a strong Senate candidate if Gary Peters were to retire. In the end, only the former two found a spot in the cabinet, indicating the latter's desite to run for Senate.

One of the most important positions to fill was Secretary of State. There were several candidates rumoured for the position, all impressive politicians with a record on foreign policy- former Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI), Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT), former U.N. Ambassador Samantha Power (D-ME), U.S. Rep. Elaine Luria (D-VA), former Ambassador Philip Goldberg (D-MA) and former Ambassador Jon Huntsman (R-UT). In the end, it came down to Murphy and Feingold, two progressives and doves. Senator Murphy was eventually chosen, a move that suggested a more aggressive policy of the new administration towards Saudi Arabia. Feingold, meanwhile, did get out of retirement by being nominated for UN Ambassador.

About midway into the transition period, it was revealed that the cabinet position Jason Kander will be appointed to was Defense Secretary, a position Buttigeg said he received because of his organizational skills and familiarity with the military. Other names were starting to flow in- Salt Laky County Mayor Shireen Ghorbani was chosen as Interior Secretary, upsetting Senator John Hickenlooper who was considered the favourite for the position; DNC Chairwoman Jennifer Granholm would retire to become Labor Secretary; and Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar won the Attorney General position over a large amount of possible contenders including former Alabama Senator Doug Jones, Maryland Governor Tom Perez, California Senator Kamala Harris and New York Governor Preet Bharara.

The transition continued, and after a meeting with President Obama, Buttigeg chose his former HHS Secretary, Sylvia Mathews Burwell, to head the Treasury Department. Additionally, Joe Donnelly received the Agriculture Secretary spot, a worthy consolation prize, and a Republican was chosen for the cabinet- Miami Dade County Mayor Carlos Curbelo, a moderate Republican, would head the HUD Department.

The four high ranking Buttigeg cabinet appointees- Murphy, Burwell, Kander and Klobuchar

Other names followed until inauguration day- two more Mayors would join the cabinet, former Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner for HHS and San Fransisco Mayor London Breed for Transportation. U.S. Rep. from Colorado Joe Neguse, a popular politician, would head the energy department, and his House colleague, Elaine Luria, would lead Homeland Security. Another Representative would join later, Anthony Brown of Maryland for Veterans Affairs, while the appointed Education Secretary was announced to be former Chancellor of D.C. Public Schools Kaya Henderson. Former Governor of Washington and Presidential candidate Jay Inslee, who ran on environmental issues, would lead the EPA while former Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley would become U.S. Trade Representative, high profile choices for these offices.

Finally, the President-elect shocked the political world when he announced former general election rival and Republican Governor of Vermont Phil Scott as his nominee for Secretary of Commerce, a move that was considered smart for shoring up some of his supporters and turning them away from the Republican Party. Buttigeg also chose an impressive team of other cabinet-level officials- William McRaven would be National Security Advisor, former Representative Adam Schiff would be Director of National Intelligence and U.S. Rep. KAtie Porter from California would lead the OMB.

The transition went smoothly enough save for a few leaks, and by inauguration day the President-elect almost assembled an entire team ready to start facing Senate confirmations and get to work.

In 20th January 2025, President Pete Buttigeg was inaugurated by Chief Justice John Roberts. He gave a now-famous speech proclaiming the beginning of a new age of America post-Trump, and also promised to start working on a series of policies appearing on most progressive wishlists, like universal healthcare, a green new deal, immigration reform, criminal justice reform and pension reform. He also promised to start working on drafting shortlists for the two-year Supreme Court vacancy created by the retirement of the ill Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the Democratic Senate's refusal to give Trump's conservative nominees hearings. Buttigieg made an appeal to congress and the country to unite and work on real solutions on pressing issues like healthcare and the environment, and his rousing speech received a high rating from critics. America awakened to a new morning- the Presidency of Peter Paul Montgomery Buttigieg.

The Buttigeg Cabinet nominees, 2025
President: Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)
Vice President: Anthony Foxx (D-NC)

Secretary of State: Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT)
Secretary of Treasury: Fmr. Sec. Sylvia Mathews Burwell (D-WV)
Secretary of Defense: Governor Jason Kander (D-MO)
Attorney General: Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)
Secretary of the Interior: Mayor Shireen Ghorbani (D-UT)
Secretary of Agriculture: Senator Joe Donnelly (D-IN)
Secretary of Commerce: Governor Phil Scott (R-VT)
Secretary of Labor: DNC Chairwoman Jennifer Granholm (D-MI)
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Fmr. Mayor Sylvester Turner (D-TX)
Secretary of Education: Fmr. Chancellor of D.C. Public Schools Kaya Henderson (D-DC )
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Mayor Carlos Curbelo (R-FL)
Secretary of Transportation: Mayor London Breed (D-CA)
Secretary of Energy: U.S. Rep. Joe Neguse (D-CO)
Secretary of Veterans Affairs: U.S. Rep. Anthony Brown (D-MD)
Secretary of Homeland Security: U.S. Rep. Elaine Luria (D-VA)

Chief of Staff: Activist Liuba Grechen Shirley (D-NY)
White House Chief Strategist: Campaign Manager Jen O'Malley Dillon (D-DC)

Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency: Fmr. Governor Jay Inslee (D-WA)
Director of the Office of Management and Budget: U.S. Rep. Katie Porter (D-CA)
Director of the Small Business Administration: Economist Sandra Black (D-CA)

National Security Advisor: Ret. Admiral William McRaven (D-TX)
Ambassador to the United Nations: Fmr. Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI)
United States Trade Representative: Fmr. Governor Martin O'Malley (D-MD)
Director of National Intelligence: Fmr. U.S. Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA)
CIA Director: Fmr. Dept. Director Avril Haines (D-NY)
FBI Director: Fmr. Dept. Att. Gen. Sally Yates (D-GA)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #473 on: January 18, 2019, 07:18:03 PM »

PHIL!!!!!!

Also, glorious inauguration!
vanteran
Rookie