Who will Clinton, Rubio, and Christie take as running mates? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:03:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who will Clinton, Rubio, and Christie take as running mates? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who will Clinton, Rubio, and Christie take as running mates?  (Read 6985 times)
PolitiJunkie

« on: May 13, 2013, 08:28:41 PM »

Clinton:
Brian Schweitzer
Tim Kaine
Mark Warner
John Hickenlooper

Christie:
Susana Martinez
Rand Paul
Marco Rubio
John Kasich

Rubio:
Rand Paul
Kelly Ayotte
John Kasich
John Huntsman

I think this list is very, very on point.

Clinton/Schweitzer, Christie/Martinez, and Rubio/Ayotte are the most likely combinations in my opinion.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »

Clinton will need to pick someone relatively new to the national stage who can bring excitement to the Democratic ticket in what is bound to be a lull of a year.  Thus, I think its likely that Clinton (or any 2016 Democratic nom) to pick a new Democratic governor or Senator elected in 2014.  Alternatively, to generate the same kind of energy they could nominate another woman or a minority...

Which raises the question, will America 2016 be ready for a Democratic ticket that features two women or a woman and a racial minority?

I don't think that Clinton will pick another woman.

And I disagree that Clinton has to pick a newly elected Governor or Senator; she'd get hammered for picking a candidate with 18 months of experience. Schweitzer would be the perfect pick because he has 8 years of gubernatorial experience and, by then, presumably 2 years in the Senate, but is still a very exciting figure that hasn't been hugely exposed yet. Not to mention all the other advantages (regional, gender, populism, white working-class appeal, appeal to moderates/slight conservatives, etc).
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:03:43 PM »

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) - May encounter accusations of inexperience and criticism for being only a one term Senator - though he'll have served as much time in the Senate as Barack Obama when he was elected. He's young and may prove to be a political force in time.

As a liberal Democrat from Connecticut, I promise you that Murphy would be a joke of a pick. Murphy sucks; he represents all the bad aspects of the Democratic Party and few of the good. He was clearly the lesser of two evils in a race against the horrendous Linda McMahon, but most CT Democrats found themselves wishing that someone like Himes (CT-4 representative) had stepped up and voted for Murphy with little enthusiasm. He also won by 12 points in a state that Obama won by 22 points. 12 points is still a big win, but it means he is a below average candidate, whereas Obama was an above average candidate (Gore, an average candidate, won by 17 points).

Also, it is very unlikely that Clinton will pick someone from New England on her ticket, and it would be impractical if she did. Clinton has appeal in the Northeast and the South; her ideal VP pick would be from either the Midwest or the West.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies