Canadian by-elections, 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:36:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 35
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2012  (Read 86986 times)
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: August 31, 2012, 06:26:16 AM »

Speaking of Kitchener Waterloo, it's impossible to listen to more than ten minutes of radio without an ad from either the Liberals (OMG TEH TORIES OUT TO KILL OUR TEACHERS!1!!), NDP (OMG BOTH TEH PARTIES IDENTICAL!!1!), or PCs (OMG TEH LIBS DROWNING UR KIDS IN DEBT!!1!1).

Are the Liberals actually running ads saying that the Tories are out to kill "our teachers"Huh Right now the teachers are all up in arms that its the Liberals who are hitting them with a two by four! There are literally bus loads of teachers going to Waterloo to help the NDP because they all hate Mcguinty so much now.

The Liberals couldn't have been more generous to teachers for 9 straight years. I have yet to hear a convincing argument why teachers (or anyone else) should be able to bank sick days.

The Liberals played politics for 9years... and now they are playing politics again. Anyway, banking is arguable... the problem is, if you ask teachers is not the freeze but the fact that this bill violates their rights of collective bargaining, which a number of lawyers have come out saying they will fight this and the gov't might lose over pieces of the bill that aren't talked about. Wages and sick days make all the headlines.
canadian1
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -6.35

« Reply #476 on: August 31, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »

Speaking of Kitchener Waterloo, it's impossible to listen to more than ten minutes of radio without an ad from either the Liberals (OMG TEH TORIES OUT TO KILL OUR TEACHERS!1!!), NDP (OMG BOTH TEH PARTIES IDENTICAL!!1!), or PCs (OMG TEH LIBS DROWNING UR KIDS IN DEBT!!1!1).

Are the Liberals actually running ads saying that the Tories are out to kill "our teachers"Huh Right now the teachers are all up in arms that its the Liberals who are hitting them with a two by four! There are literally bus loads of teachers going to Waterloo to help the NDP because they all hate Mcguinty so much now.

The Liberals couldn't have been more generous to teachers for 9 straight years. I have yet to hear a convincing argument why teachers (or anyone else) should be able to bank sick days.

The Liberals played politics for 9years... and now they are playing politics again. Anyway, banking is arguable... the problem is, if you ask teachers is not the freeze but the fact that this bill violates their rights of collective bargaining, which a number of lawyers have come out saying they will fight this and the gov't might lose over pieces of the bill that aren't talked about. Wages and sick days make all the headlines.

Why did ETFO's leader walk away from the negotiating table in February? If they care so much about their right to collective bargaining, you'd think they would have made a strenuous effort to bargain collectively from the get-go.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #477 on: August 31, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »

Argh Elections Manitoba sent me the new poll map of Ft Whyte being used for the by-election, instead of the last election. It appears to be very different, as there are some new developments in the south part of the riding which account for I think 5 new polls. But there are other shifts as well that I'm trying to figure out. Hopefully I can get a map up, but it's mostly all blue except for two polls that the NDP tied.
adma
« Reply #478 on: August 31, 2012, 09:24:00 PM »

Something tells me this "war on teachers" biz is playing right into NDP hands in K-W--and the only reason why it's not registering with the Libs + Tories is the old "aah, look at the 2011 results: the NDP can't win" fallback...

That riding poll from some time ago ought to have set them straight--it had the NDP a close second.

"Rogue poll".  "Unrepresentative sample".  "Not consistent with 2011 patterns".  When it comes to finding convenient alibis, where there's a will, there's a way.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #479 on: September 01, 2012, 04:54:06 PM »

Hard to tell there's even an election in Vaughan aside from some signs here and there, and no signs of the NDP either. Expected, though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #480 on: September 01, 2012, 10:28:05 PM »

by-election round up:

http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.ca/2012/09/provincial-by-elections-next-week-fort.html
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #481 on: September 04, 2012, 09:05:55 PM »

In the another election (by-election)  tonite:

Fort-Whyte, Manitoba

With 50/54 polls

Pallister, Brian (PC) 2,450 (New PC Leader)
Axworthy, Bob (LIB) 1,620
Schmidt, Brandy (NDP) 548
Benham, Donnie H. J. (GPM) 94
Ackman, Darrell (Ind) 16

Rejected 5
Votes Cast 4,7333
Registerered Voters 15,560
Turnout 30.42%
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #482 on: September 04, 2012, 09:12:35 PM »

Are the provincial Liberals having some sort of rebound in Manitoba?
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #483 on: September 04, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »

Nope.
The Liberal candidate has name recognition (his older brother Llyod was a Liberal Federal cabinet minister)
He is also the only candidate to actually live in the riding. The other candidates live nearby.
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #484 on: September 04, 2012, 11:38:38 PM »

Final results

Fort-Whyte, Manitoba

With 54/54 polls  (Unoffical)

Pallister, Brian (PC) 3,626 (New PC Leader) - 55.1%
Axworthy, Bob (LIB) 2,074 - 31.5%
Schmidt, Brandy (NDP) 739 - 11.2%
Benham, Donnie H. J. (GPM) 113 - 1.7%
Ackman, Darrell (Ind) 19 - 0.3%

Rejected 8
Votes Cast 6,579
Registerered Voters 15,560
Turnout 52.28%
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #485 on: September 05, 2012, 06:39:14 AM »

Nope.
The Liberal candidate has name recognition (his older brother Llyod was a Liberal Federal cabinet minister)
He is also the only candidate to actually live in the riding. The other candidates live nearby.

Also the Liberals have some history in the riding; outside of '11 where they only managed 7%, in 07 they had 14%, 05 by-election 21%, 03 was 19%... so no "stellar" but very good for the MAN Liberals i think. Demographics play into that 
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #486 on: September 05, 2012, 07:09:03 AM »

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1251330--ndp-is-on-track-to-win-kitchener-waterloo-by-election-poll-suggests#.UEc1g-GJ3cs.facebook

Forum Poll has the NDP@42%, OLP & PCs both at 26%

Really? i'm impressed, i've been hearing that the NDP has just had a stellar campaign... but 42%! i bought IF the NDP were to win that it would be over 40%, i find that high even for a by-election in a riding what only once held by the CCF! (43-45)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #487 on: September 05, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »

Forum was hinting towards a surprise (I assumed it meant an NDP lead) but whoa. That poll has me creaming my pants Cheesy (Said that to bug Hash, he told me he's going to avoid by-election talk because of all of us dipper hacks Smiley )
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #488 on: September 05, 2012, 07:49:32 AM »

Forum was hinting towards a surprise (I assumed it meant an NDP lead) but whoa. That poll has me creaming my pants Cheesy (Said that to bug Hash, he told me he's going to avoid by-election talk because of all of us dipper hacks Smiley )

why should that stop him? he should talk up Vaughan in that case then Tongue

The OLP Needs to win Vaughan now... and thats the race they can win, so at least they can come out with no losses, and the PCs have the bloodiest nose with a 1 less seat and a by-election loss
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #489 on: September 05, 2012, 08:58:38 AM »

Frankly, I don't mind if the Tories win Vaughan.

But the poll does prove that Vaughan is still a safe Liberal riding. Fantino winning is just based on his popularity.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #490 on: September 05, 2012, 02:48:21 PM »

The greatest thing about that Forum poll is it has the Tories and the Liberals TIED for second, meaning strategic anti-NDP voters wont know who to chose to stop the orange tide.
adma
« Reply #491 on: September 05, 2012, 08:30:20 PM »

But the poll does prove that Vaughan is still a safe Liberal riding. Fantino winning is just based on his popularity.

*And* the fact that he was technically "incumbent" in 2011 (thanks to the byelection), and the Liberals at large were in disarray.  Were it Fantino vs an incumbent Bevilacqua, it would have been much closer.

Oh, and re Kitchener-Waterloo: go back to some of my posts 'way earlier in this thread, pin-pricking assumptions that the seat was "too yuppie/high-tech/affluent" for anything other than a Tory/Liberal race.  Look: when I said the last federal result was "skewed by Telegdi", I meant it, I really meant it.  And, now you know what I was getting at.

And altogether, it's worth considering that this lowly provincial byelection might be, by proxy, the first *real* test of the Orange Crush's resilience and "potential for growth"...
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #492 on: September 05, 2012, 10:28:28 PM »

*And* the fact that he was technically "incumbent" in 2011 (thanks to the byelection), and the Liberals at large were in disarray.  Were it Fantino vs an incumbent Bevilacqua, it would have been much closer.

Oh, and re Kitchener-Waterloo: go back to some of my posts 'way earlier in this thread, pin-pricking assumptions that the seat was "too yuppie/high-tech/affluent" for anything other than a Tory/Liberal race.  Look: when I said the last federal result was "skewed by Telegdi", I meant it, I really meant it.  And, now you know what I was getting at.

And altogether, it's worth considering that this lowly provincial byelection might be, by proxy, the first *real* test of the Orange Crush's resilience and "potential for growth"...
Isn't Kitchner-Waterloo a university seat though?
DL
Canada

« Reply #493 on: September 06, 2012, 12:30:15 AM »

The greatest thing about that Forum poll is it has the Tories and the Liberals TIED for second, meaning strategic anti-NDP voters wont know who to chose to stop the orange tide.

Is there even such a thing as a "strategic anti-NDP voter" anymore? Especially in a by election situation
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #494 on: September 06, 2012, 12:57:42 AM »

Is there even such a thing as a "strategic anti-NDP voter" anymore? Especially in a by election situation

Yes, but the strategic anti-PC voter and the strategic anti-Liberal voter also exist.
adma
« Reply #495 on: September 06, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »

Isn't Kitchner-Waterloo a university seat though?

It is; but even that's been used as an anti-NDP argument in the past, pointing at Liberal wins and near-wins in Guelph, Kingston, London NC etc...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #496 on: September 06, 2012, 07:27:48 AM »

I suppose it's fair to say that students vote NDP, grads vote Liberal?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #497 on: September 06, 2012, 08:17:19 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2012, 08:23:42 PM by EternalCynic »

Thanks to Teddy:

KW live results: http://electionnightresults.elections.on.ca/rr/ro?code=039

Vaughan live results: http://electionnightresults.elections.on.ca/rr/ro?code=097 #vaughan
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #498 on: September 06, 2012, 08:24:50 PM »

Man, Elections Ontario's website is ass.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #499 on: September 06, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »

I was wondering where the results were. Thank god for this site!

Still really close in Kitchener-Waterloo 1% separates the Tories and NDP with 8 polls in.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies