Worst U.S. state to live in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 08:52:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Worst U.S. state to live in
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Worst U.S. state to live in  (Read 2988 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2019, 05:25:30 PM »

On the issue of hot/cold: There's nothing I hate more than trying to fall asleep while it's hot (and worse, humid) outside. Laying in bed sweating is unbelievably unpleasant. The sheets stick to your skin and you toss and turn constantly.

In the cold, you also get to start up the fireplace, turn on the heater, and bundle up under a huge pile of blankets. Falling asleep while it's cold is really comfy. So I'm sorry to say it, but I'd rather live in Alaska than anywhere down south. And it's a shame, because I love southern cooking.
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2019, 02:30:52 PM »

I've been to almost every state in the country, lived in Europe, and have lived in a variety of places- both some of the most liberal and conservative states in the US.  There isn't a place I wouldn't live again.  Everywhere I've been, I've always found my niche.  The truth is, there are a-holes and cool people everywhere.  If you put effort into it, you can always find "your people" unless you're one of those people who just likes to complain.

In real life, what has dictated where I've lived has been career.  Not every state has well paying jobs for my career field with growth potential and pays enough to afford the local cost of living.  So that'll always be #1.  Practicality comes first.

But assuming that's not a concern...  weather is probably the next most important thing.  FL would be the worst for me.  Too hot/humid.  Really almost the entire US does not have what I would consider acceptable weather (maybe some parts of WA are OK?) but FL is by far the worst.

Second- maybe ND due to geographical isolation and I'd have to fly to see anyone I knew.  Plus no major airport, so I'd be looking at basically a full day of travel.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2019, 11:38:33 PM »

I've been to almost every state in the country, lived in Europe, and have lived in a variety of places- both some of the most liberal and conservative states in the US.  There isn't a place I wouldn't live again.  

But assuming that's not a concern [...]  FL would be the worst for me.

Confirmed.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2019, 05:19:36 AM »

Deep South states: Mississippi, Alabama
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2019, 12:12:53 AM »

Would never want to live in...

01. Louisiana
02. Mississippi
03. Alabama
04. South Carolina
05. Oklahoma
06. Delaware
07. Arkansas
08. West Virginia
09. Nevada
10. Kentucky
11. Tennessee
12. Florida
13. New Jersey
14. New Mexico

Would at least consider living in...

15. Utah
16. Indiana
17. Ohio
18. Hawaii
19. Georgia
20. California
21. Illinois
22. Arizona
23. Virginia
24. Maryland

Wouldn't mind living in...

25. Kansas
26. South Dakota
27. North Dakota
28. Missouri
29. Nebraska
30. North Carolina
31. Iowa
32. Michigan
33. New York
34. Texas
35. Connecticut
36. Rhode Island

I'd be happy to live in...

37. Pennsylvania
38. Massachusetts
39. Wisconsin
40. Minnesota
41. Colorado
42. Wyoming
43. Montana
44. Idaho

I'd truly love to live in...

45. Alaska
46. Oregon
47. Washington
48. New Hampshire
49. Maine
50. Vermont
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2019, 10:52:54 AM »

On the issue of hot/cold: There's nothing I hate more than trying to fall asleep while it's hot (and worse, humid) outside. Laying in bed sweating is unbelievably unpleasant. The sheets stick to your skin and you toss and turn constantly.

In the cold, you also get to start up the fireplace, turn on the heater, and bundle up under a huge pile of blankets. Falling asleep while it's cold is really comfy. So I'm sorry to say it, but I'd rather live in Alaska than anywhere down south. And it's a shame, because I love southern cooking.

You seem aware of the existence of heaters for when it is cold, there is a thing that cools you when indoors called "air conditioning".  Granted, before AC I don't understand how anyone lived in the South. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2019, 01:15:39 AM »

I don't think that states are a good measure of where to live because they are generally so diverse in terms of locales. Texas simultaneously has places like Austin and loving County. Illinois has Chicago in East Saint Louis + a bunch of near Appalachian downstate nowheresvilles. Even Utah has a huge difference between desert retirement homes Lake St George vs vibrant big cities like Salt Lake. Oregon sound awesome because of Portland and Eugene? Try living in some fading Timbertown near the Idaho border.

While there are a few states that border on being universally bad like Alabama and Mississippi, as long as I could live in some University neighborhoods of a big city or college town, that probably wouldn't be so bad. Idaho might be bad, but I hear increasingly good things about Boise.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2019, 01:27:47 AM »

CT might be the worst state in the northeast, but in the whole country? Naw.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2019, 01:57:48 AM »

Unpopular answer: all of them except Washington, and even then I'm not a fan of dry summers.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2019, 08:57:53 AM »

Hawaii, California, Vermont, North Carolina
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2019, 11:33:13 AM »

Unpopular answer: all of them except Washington, and even then I'm not a fan of dry summers.

I that case, why not somewhere in the northeast? Too cold?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2019, 03:17:42 PM »

I don't think that states are a good measure of where to live because they are generally so diverse in terms of locales. Texas simultaneously has places like Austin and loving County. Illinois has Chicago in East Saint Louis + a bunch of near Appalachian downstate nowheresvilles. Even Utah has a huge difference between desert retirement homes Lake St George vs vibrant big cities like Salt Lake. Oregon sound awesome because of Portland and Eugene? Try living in some fading Timbertown near the Idaho border.

While there are a few states that border on being universally bad like Alabama and Mississippi, as long as I could live in some University neighborhoods of a big city or college town, that probably wouldn't be so bad. Idaho might be bad, but I hear increasingly good things about Boise.

If I didn't know any better, I would think you would actually prefer ... East St. Louis ... over the plethora of Downstate cities like Rockford, Peoria, Bloomington, Springfield, Champaign, etc. Wink
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2019, 03:54:59 PM »

If I didn't know any better, I would think you would actually prefer ... East St. Louis ... over the plethora of Downstate cities like Rockford, Peoria, Bloomington, Springfield, Champaign, etc. Wink

I hope he moves to East St Louis and blogs it. Lol
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »

Deep South states: Mississippi, Alabama
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901