Idea of Doscetism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:48:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Idea of Doscetism
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What do Christians on here think of this idea?
Freedom idea

Horrible idea

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Idea of Doscetism  (Read 904 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2021, 08:32:33 AM »
« edited: February 16, 2021, 08:13:32 AM by Samof94 »

What is everyone’s view of the idea that Jesus existed as spirit and that his body was a divine illusion created just for the Incarnation and wasn’t really human?
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 08:38:12 AM »

Imagine in the year 2130, a group of weirdos woke up one day and decided that Ho Chi Minh was a deity, and was descended from the Gods.    And devised an elaborate philosophy justifying this. 

That is Jesus Christ and Christianity in a nutshell. 
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 09:03:40 AM »

Imagine in the year 2130, a group of weirdos woke up one day and decided that Ho Chi Minh was a deity, and was descended from the Gods.    And devised an elaborate philosophy justifying this. 

Not even close, but hey, I'm sure vitoNova knows about the datation of e.g. Ignatius of Antioch better than actual historians.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 11:46:48 AM »

Not even close, but hey, I'm sure vitoNova knows about the datation of e.g. Ignatius of Antioch better than actual historians.

Once I noticed that SecularGlobalist seems to recommend posts dunking on him as a matter of course, he actually became one of my favorite posters. He's a good sport.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 07:01:24 PM »

Yes, if Ho Chi Minh was a well-documented teacher crucified by the state and their earliest sources for this were comparable to those of his contemporaries.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 07:27:43 PM »

The real Jesus of Nazareth was a Renegade of Funk. 
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 12:33:36 AM »

What is everyone’s view of the idea that Jesus never existed and that his body was a divine illusion?

Docetists believed Jesus existed, just that his existence was pure spirit and if he had a body it was a temporary vessel.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 08:12:55 AM »

What is everyone’s view of the idea that Jesus never existed and that his body was a divine illusion?

Docetists believed Jesus existed, just that his existence was pure spirit and if he had a body it was a temporary vessel.
That’s my point. It was considered heresy. The Cathars saw Jesus as being human as impossible as it would be sinful for him to be of the flesh.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 08:26:14 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2021, 08:30:15 AM by Statilius the Epicurean »

That’s my point. It was considered heresy. The Cathars saw Jesus as being human as impossible as it would be sinful for him to be of the flesh.

We don't really know what the Cathars believed because the Medievals who wrote about them interpreted contemporary heresies through the lens of the heresiologies of the early Church Fathers: Cathars are rumoured to do this and it reminds me of what I read in Irenaeus, so they must be Docetists!

But yeah the general idea was a Platonist one that the body was merely a vessel for the spark of the divine, and it was ridiculous and offensive to many Greeks that a God could have suffered on the cross.  
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 09:50:12 PM »

We don't really know what the Cathars believed because the Medievals who wrote about them interpreted contemporary heresies through the lens of the heresiologies of the early Church Fathers: Cathars are rumoured to do this and it reminds me of what I read in Irenaeus, so they must be Docetists!

But yeah the general idea was a Platonist one that the body was merely a vessel for the spark of the divine, and it was ridiculous and offensive to many Greeks that a God could have suffered on the cross.  
Hellenic gods didn’t die human deaths.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 09:53:33 PM »

Docetism is antithetical to the Gospel message, so easy HI.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 10:07:21 PM »

What is everyone’s view of the idea that Jesus existed as spirit and that his body was a divine illusion created just for the Incarnation and wasn’t really human?

If his body was an illusion then there was no incarnation.  Then he could not have been the Word made Flesh, could not have died, could not have resurrected.  What is left?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies