Second State of the Forum Address
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:21:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Second State of the Forum Address
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Second State of the Forum Address  (Read 1221 times)
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2005, 01:32:53 PM »

My fellow Atlasians, I stand before you now to give you the state of the forum. These past few weeks have been trying on our country, and our countrymen and women. Days following my August State of the Forum Address Hurricane Katrina fell upon the Gulf Coast, and ravaged the Southeast Region.

The Federal Government of Atlasia was able to act quickly, and the Gulf Coast Region is being cared for in all the ways we can manage. The National Guard, and Regular troops have secured the coast, the Army Corps of Engineers are repairing damage, and New Orleans is rising again from the water, like a phoenix from the ashes.

In the past few weeks, a number of concepts and ideas have been presented for the consideration of the future of New Orleans. Rebuilding the coast, raising the city, and increasing barriers have all been considered, but the option that is best has not yet been decisively selected.

It would not seem fair to me that the Federal Government to simply select a method of reconstruction, so I put it to the Senate to meet with the representatives of the Southeast Region for their input into the reconstruction plans.

The cost of the reconstruction effort, along with the War on Terror, the War in Iraq, assistance in Afghanistan, and numerous other commitments of the government, I would like to remind the Senate that while it should be our principle to maintain a balanced or surplus budget, in a time of crisis it is responsible to lend aid first, and pay later. Tax increases may be required for this effort, and if so, I will gladly sign them into law for the benefit of those in the Southeast, and the sustainability of the Federal Government.

I’d like to thank Atlasia’s citizens for opening their hearts and giving what they can to aid their fellow human beings in the disaster on the coast. Their generosity surely will never be forgotten.

Yesterday, in Afghanistan, the first parliamentary elections were held in decades, where almost all hope for freedom had been extinguished. After so long without any reason to hope, there came what so many had wished for, but could not imagine. Similarly despite nature’s fury, people are returning to their homes, one by one to rebuild their lives, and I want to let them know that the whole Republic is behind them.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 01:52:13 PM »

My fellow Atlasians, I stand before you now to give you the state of the forum. These past few weeks have been trying on our country, and our countrymen and women. Days following my August State of the Forum Address Hurricane Katrina fell upon the Gulf Coast, and ravaged the Southeast Region.

The Federal Government of Atlasia was able to act quickly, and the Gulf Coast Region is being cared for in all the ways we can manage. The National Guard, and Regular troops have secured the coast, the Army Corps of Engineers are repairing damage, and New Orleans is rising again from the water, like a phoenix from the ashes.

In the past few weeks, a number of concepts and ideas have been presented for the consideration of the future of New Orleans. Rebuilding the coast, raising the city, and increasing barriers have all been considered, but the option that is best has not yet been decisively selected.

It would not seem fair to me that the Federal Government to simply select a method of reconstruction, so I put it to the Senate to meet with the representatives of the Southeast Region for their input into the reconstruction plans.

The cost of the reconstruction effort, along with the War on Terror, the War in Iraq, assistance in Afghanistan, and numerous other commitments of the government, I would like to remind the Senate that while it should be our principle to maintain a balanced or surplus budget, in a time of crisis it is responsible to lend aid first, and pay later. Tax increases may be required for this effort, and if so, I will gladly sign them into law for the benefit of those in the Southeast, and the sustainability of the Federal Government.

I’d like to thank Atlasia’s citizens for opening their hearts and giving what they can to aid their fellow human beings in the disaster on the coast. Their generosity surely will never be forgotten.

Yesterday, in Afghanistan, the first parliamentary elections were held in decades, where almost all hope for freedom had been extinguished. After so long without any reason to hope, there came what so many had wished for, but could not imagine. Similarly despite nature’s fury, people are returning to their homes, one by one to rebuild their lives, and I want to let them know that the whole Republic is behind them.

On the contrary, lower taxes to stimulate the economy would help us much more than federal alms.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 01:59:47 PM »

Good speech.  One option the Senate should consider is to simply relocate New Orleans residents to Baton Rouge or simply build a new city above sea level and less prone to devastating floods.  I see no point in rebuilding New Orleans as it stands now especially since much of the city outside the French Quarter is sinking below sea level.  We can build levies and dikes galore, but it will only delay the inevitable when another more powerful hurricane comes along and hits New Orleans directly.   
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 02:01:37 PM »

I fully agree with Frodo, including the part that it was a good speech. Wink

This presidency is turning out to be much better than expected.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 05:55:15 PM »

Thank you Mr. President for fufilling your constitutional obligation for a second time. Very nice speech.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 05:58:16 PM »

That was a great speech Mr. President.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 08:07:44 PM »

An excellent speech Mr. President.  Shame you aren't running once again.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 08:50:06 PM »

[claps hands]
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 09:06:57 PM »

Great speech!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 11:54:18 AM »

Great speech Mr President Smiley
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 03:16:06 PM »

Governor, while in general I agree you're right, but because at the moment there is no New Orelans economy, I think it would be in the best interest to have a largely state funded, or at least moderated reconstruction plan. Direct infusions of government money into particular regions stimulates the economy also, case in point is the Interstate projects, providing jobs and money to every state, and even remote areas. Businesses won't be strongly encouraged to rebuild in an area that they suspect could be submerged this time next year.

I personally believe that the best step forward is in the short term, to rebuild and strengthen levees and system to correct flooding, and in the long term rebuild the Louisiana Coast. I recently read, that every year an area the size of Rhode Island is lost forever to erosion. Because we divert the Mississippi River New Orelans sinks lower, and the coast gets closer. Proposals to revitalize the coast have been presented for about 10 years or so, and I think they should be considered.

Thank you to everyone.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 04:09:55 PM »

Nice speech! Grin
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 12:37:30 AM »

Thank you Mr. President for fufilling your constitutional obligation for a second time. Very nice speech.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 06:43:12 PM »

Very good speech, Mr. President.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies