CNN/Nyman Weekly Mideast Gubernatorial Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:13:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CNN/Nyman Weekly Mideast Gubernatorial Debate  (Read 398 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2016, 08:08:49 PM »

Moderator Wolf Blitzer preparing to host the debate.

Good evening, Mideasterners. Tonight, we have to debate Laborite NeverAgain, the incumbent Governor of the Mideast, and Federalist Assemblyman and diplomat JCL, his challenger. Over the course of this debate, we will be touching on five topics: the economy, the environment, the Assembly, ratification of the new Constitution, and activity. We request that candidates refrain from posting in long paragraphs during the questioning period and stay focused on the issues at hand. The debate will consist of three rounds of 24 hours each: opening statements, questions, and closing statements.

Round 1 has begun. Candidates, you have 24 hours to post your opening statements.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 11:57:30 AM »

The Governor's Opening Statements

Good Evening. I want to first thank Nyman Weekly and my good friend Governor Bessell for hosting this wonderful expression of how we as Mideasterners see ourselves and the future of our region. As I have said before there is nothing more important to me and my administration than honesty, integrity, and preserving the people's natural and god given rights. In the past four months, I have not only done this, but I have also passed sweeping legislation to stabilize our economy, protect the Environment, and protect the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

I believe that in this debate that we can define a clear difference between myself and the Ambassador on how we view the issues of our great region. I can only tell what I have done and will do if I have the great honor of serving the amazing people of the Mideast for another term. But above all this debate is about who can take on the challenges the Mideast faces, from terror to unemployment, and I believe I am that person.

Thank you.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 06:34:39 PM »

Good Evening Fellow Mideasterners and Atlasians keeping an eye on this race.

We are at a national crossroads. The ratification of the new constitution will make sweeping changes that will alter this region as we know it. In fact if passed this region will be split apart. Our region shouldn't have been singled out to break apart while the Midwest and Pacific region are simply merged. For much of the time that I've served, the Mideast was a thriving region full of activity and desire to make the game an enjoyable experience for new and veteran alike.

Regardless where my service to Atlasia has taken me, the views of common sense and fair play that we hold dear have been respected the world over. Our region has taken a prominent role in moving the country as a whole forward. As a diplomat I've been largely behind the scenes promoting peace deals to save lives from wholesale slaughter caused by terrorism. Sometimes I've had to stand alone but whenever possible I try to seek common ground. As governor I would keep to that.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 07:15:47 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2016, 07:52:35 PM by Ted Bessell, Bass God of the West »

Since both opening statements have been posted, I'll go ahead to the questions.

The Economy, For Both Candidates: To put it mildly, the Mideast's economy is lackluster. Although it is below the national average, unemployment is well over 8%. Many blame the high number on jobs that have migrated from the Mideast to other regions and countries. If elected Governor, what would you do to bring jobs back to the Mideast?

The Environment, For Both Candidates: Our planet is quickly growing warmer, and 2015 was the warmest year since recordkeeping began in 1880. Many argue that the Mideast saw the effects of a destabilized environment in the 2014-2015 winter, in which frigid conditions blanketed the region. Are these changes caused, in all or in part, by humans? If so, what should the Mideast do to address the issue?

The Assembly, for Both Candidates: Governor NeverAgain, you postponed elections to the Regional Assembly, stoking quite a bit of controversy. You stated that they were pointless, because you would just end up appointing the same people. However, many point out that the Regional Constitution mandates that elections be held in March, and question whether the Governor's decisions can supersede that. NeverAgain, why are you justified in your decision despite this? JCL, why is he wrong?

Ratification, for JCL: JCL, you have stated that you oppose Article II of the new Constitution, because it incorporates a number of culturally disparate states into a single Region and disproportionately alters the Mideast. However, it is unclear whether you can choose to vote for the whole document with the exception of this provision. If your only options regarding passage of the Constitution were "AYE" or "NAY," without the option of voting down this provision, which would you choose?

Ratification, for NeverAgain: Do you agree with your opponent's position on Article II? Why, or why not?

Activity, for Both Candidates Activity has been a major problem in the Mideast of late, to the point that Governor NeverAgain has been forced to take up the duties of Acting Speaker. If elected, what will you do to increase activity in the Region?

Candidates, please post your responses within 24 hours.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 08:26:46 PM »

Governor NeverAgain's Responses

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Answer: First, I'd like to focus attention on what we are doing to grow jobs and the Mideast economy, and where we started off. When I first came to this office I was faced with rising unemployment, especially for construction workers. We knew these harsh problems weren't being fixed by twiddling our thumbs and letting "the market" decide, so we rolled up our sleeves and passed MEWGA, the Mid-East Works Growth Administration which revitalized our crumbling infrastructure like never before.

It all was working quite well until the awful terror attacks in Michigan last month which terrorized not only our citizens, but also their employers. We, as you all know, passed provisions to stop and investigate threats of terror, but that isn't enough of course. So currently, I have been attempting to draft a "Bringing Jobs Back" Bill which my intention was to coincide with this year's budget (which myself and the Assembly are attempting to create). Our plan is appealing to both sides of the aisle, with things that will benefit employers with tax benefits, but also workers who deserve a fair shot in these turbulent times.

Answer: To put it clearly, YES! Changes are completely caused by human activity, but what I would like to emphasize is that these environmental changes can be resolved, and now is the time we must all band together and do it!

There have been great strides on the environment here in the Mideast, from the G.R.E.E.N. Bill to the Industry 2 Innovation Act, we have seen resounding decrease in our Carbon Emissions, but we can and we must go further. I pledge here that if I am given another term I will make a strong battle to make the Mideast "Carbon Neutral" which means we are polluting only as much as we are giving back. This is a battle we must fight for our children and our children's children, and I pledge I will fight this battle with you.

Answer: Well I am glad this is being brought up because we as elected officials are entitled to a full and honest scrutiny by the people. And with that scrutiny we must defend our actions, and here's my defense. I did this with the best of the Mideast in mind, I honestly did not have any thoughts of malintention on postposing them. My goal was to first actually limit my actions as an executor to not have the Assembly be only represented by my appointees, and keep those that had been elected democratically to hold over until we could have an active electoral process (one actually with candidates). And I think it's important to note that neither I, nor any of the Assembly, benefitted from the postponement

As I rethink my thought process, however, I do believe this was a mistake. I should have followed the constitution's mandate, and done the elections anyway with no candidates. What I can promise you now, if given the chance, that I will follow our constitution under the people's watchful eyes and I believe that we can and will have an active Assembly for the Mideast's future. I also plan to create an Oversight commission to review the Constitutionality of this Administration's actions going forward.

Answer: Well, it depends on his current position. He seems to be going for a "Mideast or Bust" approach to our ratification of the Constitution, if that is the case then no, I do not. Listen, I understand this comes from a love of region, which I and many of my fellow ConConers hold of this great region. But I cannot see a pathway, especially after the many votes we took on regions (The Bazillion proposals for CARCA, the sectilbazillion proposals for our Constitution, etc.). What we agreed on in the ConCon was a reduction in regions to 3, which while skeptical I understood that the times do need to change and my fellow reformers agreed and voted overwhelmingly for our current proposal.

I am, though, quite peeved as many fellow Mideasterners are with the Ambassador for his obstructionistic behavior with his "Vote For Ratification, Except For Article II" approach. We are now at the stage where we say we are either on the ship for change or we aren't, and I would welcome the Ambassador on this mighty ship, if he chooses to join us.

Answer: Well, public engagement is always a challenge in every democracy, including the Mideast. I have enjoyed being able to help out as temporary Speaker of our Assembly, but I plan in this next term to leave that to an Assemblyperson. I think what we need to do is to show more active elections, show a commitment to the game, and showing what's at stake for this game at every turn. I plan on doing these and creating an atmosphere for the growth of our population and our economy for the next journey of our great region. Thank you. 
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:35:15 PM »

It's been over 24 hours, but I'll hold out for a while and see if JCL responds. Tongue
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 09:18:21 PM »

Reply to Question 1

I have absolutely no problem with the making efforts to improve our roads, bridges and other vital infrastructure that would benefit the public good. My concern is that fair competition for those deals are ensured. The labor unions, while well intentioned, actually hinder that competition. Non-union contractors were denied the opportunity to complete for those jobs. Two things I will propose are right to work and a regional flat tax.

Liberty and security are as important as our economic concerns. In fact they are of higher importance. As an Ambassador I've represented you with the mind and pen to loosen the military might of our allies to take the fight to Daesh (read ISIS) while rescuing victims of religious oppression and others of good will from the battlefield. Our Swiss friends have some remarkable ideas when it comes to educating about wise and prudent use of firearms. Hence I will propose a conditional open carry. A well armed citizenry is the greatest defense against anyone threatening the domestic tranquility.

Answer to Question 2

Man is but a minor influence on global climate change. Global climate change is largely cyclical. Many of the same people in the 1970's that complained about cooling were complaining in the 1980's and 1990's about warming. Just because I have a different view doesn't mean I'm not concerned about environmental issues. As a region known for its industrial and agricultural heritage, we should be leading in technical innovation to reduce the impact man has on the environment. Look at changing our engines to handle natural gas (a much better clean burning fuel our whole nation can utilize for many generations). It's best placed in the hands of job creators rather than the hands of government beancounters.

Answer to Questions 3 and 4

The governor was constitutionally negligent by not holding elections to the assembly. The times In our nation as a whole is one of transition. We are on the verge of a new constitution. Regional stability and strength while the nation is in transition is paramount to coming out of it a stronger people. No government official can supersede the constitution where it concerns the election of its officers and representatives. It's the reason I am a candidate for governor. To ensure both liberty and stability.

I will be voting to ratify the constitution. However the Governor doesn't see a pathway to preserve the region because he likely supported consolidation from the beginning. I've stood as the leader of anti-consolidation citizens and officials since the issue began being discussed. I do see a path to preserve our region and was blocked from proposing such by a fellow Mideasterner. Contrary to the governor's opinion, many more side with me. Sadly not ones with the political power. Following ratification, my fight will be to propose a repeal of Article 2 and a much more evenhanded map. I want to preserve the hard fought victories we reformists have wanted. However Article 2 destroys some of that very same progress. Why as part of Article 2 allows for the marriage of two culturally similar regions but partitions one other? I can understand the desires of the citizens of Missouri, Kentucky and the southern border states wanting to Be part of the New Southern Region. However the concerns of Indiana, Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, and Illinois were summarily ignored and disregarded. Governor Tmth of the Midwest proposed a map which I find as a better compromise. One with 4 regions and the Old Northwest as a core of a region rather than subsumed by its eastern base.

I shall address question 5 in my closing statement.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 09:23:48 PM »

Okay, now you can post closing statements.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 10:42:54 PM »

Governor NeverAgain's Rebuttals

Question One:

I would like to end this on a light note, but I feel it first necessary to correct some apparent falsehoods represented in the Ambassador's responses.

I have not heard of this, nor has the MEWGA council. In the passing of MEWGA, I proposed a fair and equal (first come, first serve) tune to the bill. If they did not comply with the rules of paying their workers the regional minimum wage and building energy efficient buildings, then they probably didn't get the job.

I support the right to work, but it has to be fair to all parties. I support the right of workers to be able to negotiate their wages or work hours. The "Right to Work" you are proposing would not only destroy that, but hurt hardworking men and women who helped revitalize this region's economy. The idea of a flat tax is ludicrous, especially in such dire economic times. I am completely open to lowering taxes, as I plan to continue to do to help bring back jobs, but not destroy our surplus and further put us into an economic downturn. We need a continuance of the economic growth and I have the know-how and the will to do it.

I have always been a fan of letting people do what works best for them. If the Swiss have a firearms policy that works, good for them. The Australians banned all guns and that seemed to work for them. Having a policy for a certain group of people doesn't mean it will work everywhere. Especially in this case of the Daesh Uprising in Dearborn. People should not risk their lives especially with inadequate training in order to attempt to be a hero, it also can confuse officers who are confused on who to actually eliminate as a threat.

I do agree that gun safety should be taught to all gun owners as the rates of adequate training to gun owner are about 20%, but letting anyone with a gun openly carry opens the door for many worrying consequences as many first-time "toters" will also be untrained in retaining control of their own weapons and may make it possible for others to grab their guns and use them against innocent bystanders. Guns kill the innocent and the guilty equally. When the smoke settles, the dead have no voice.

Question Two:

Two things. One, Climate Change is sole-heartedly man's creation, it's a clear fact. Some of it is due to humans' overcrowding of cows and the methane produced, but the majority lies with our awful carbon emission standards which only cause worse and worse air quality and more ozone layer deterioration.

Secondly, it is called climate change for a reason. As time goes on more and more dramatic temperature shifts will begin to occur if nothing is done. 2015 was the hottest year on human record, 2014 was the 2nd, and so on. These are not random heat spells, they are systematic environmental disasters which threaten not only the Mideast, but the globe's way of life.

I agree, the Mideast should lead the way in helping preserve our environment, but that doesn't only begin with new technology. It begins with us placing an emphasis on clean and green energies, not leaving it up to the "free market" to decide. In the end, the goal of businesses and corporations is to make a profit, they aren't focused on the environment. And so it must be the goal of a people's administration to push them towards that direction through solar initiatives, cap and trade, and also through a carbon tax. Those are the things a NeverAgain people's administration will pass and help preserve our environment for the next generation.

Question Three + Four:

I as said earlier in this debate, it was a mistake, but it was in the goal of a new generation of the Mideast that I postponed them. In times of government inactivity, the executive branch is tasked with helping revitalize their region, that was my goal. I have already proposed an Oversight committee to stop behavior against our Constitution if the need arises. I made a mistake, but now that we are finally getting new people here and old ones coming back I truly feel that we can fight the new battles of the constitution together. And I promise if I am given another term, not only will I do this but I will follow the letter of the law as I have tried to do in these past months.

In these times I am reminded of the quote "No man shapes the Office, the Office shapes the Man", I  have learned what it is to be an Assemblyman, a Speaker, and now a Governor and I will use those experiences to help transform the Mideast into the great place we know it can be. 

I did not support consolidation at all at the beginning or even in our drafting of the Constitution. I supported a four region solution to preserve the Mideast as dividing up into a more, what I perceived as a more natural divide. I voted against the three region solution, but when it came time to vote for Article II, I supported it wholeheartedly. The decision wasn't about me, or how people felt about their new surroundings, it was about the preserving of Atlasia and the three region solution won the hearts of the  majority of ConCon delegates. I had to go with it. I now stand for the ideas placed in our new constitution and will now defend it and the progression it takes the Mideast to, if I am re-elected.

Anti-Consolidation sentiment started way before you got involved, way before I got involved. This constitution has been in the works for many, many months and years. If you see a path then great, I saw one too, but democracy didn't. So I will stand with the democracy, the majority, and the constitution. I do not know where you say you are getting your "many more"  supporters, but it's certainly not within your own party as many prominent conservatives are very much against your acts on this front. This is the thing that really bugs me, we now are at the point of no return I asked you to hop on our ship of new ideas and the new adventures that it holds, but you still hold these ideas that are unpopular and frankly dangerous the sanctity of our new Constitution and I don't think our region can support those ideas.

First off, what Reformist movement? The argument of where to place the regions started almost over a year ago and by now anyone that has been against consolidation, has joyfully or reluctantly gotten on board, except for you. If you want to proud of your lone-wolf tactics then fine, but the Mideast and the rest of Atlasia, including Governor Tmth aren't. You seem to be saying that culture matters, which I agree with, but there is a WIDE variety of culture from state to state. Let's take Indiana for example. You are right, the Southern part of Indiana is MUCH closer to the Southern region's heritage, but the North with Gary is much closer culturally to Wisconsin, Michigan, and North Illinois. The same goes for many states, mine included. I will be with the culture of the South, which is fine, but Northern Virginians are much closer to Pennsylvanians than Southern Virginians.

In the end, compromises need to be made, and not everyone will be happy about it, but we need change and I want the change that all see as needed not just one who feels excluded.

Thank you.

Closing Statements Up Tomorrow!
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »

Rebuttal to the Rebuttals:

1. Part of the economic problems are square on the regional government. Part of why we have unemployment at the percentages that we do is the high minimum wage the regional government demands. While I do accept a minimum wage of some sort I wholeheartedly reject the current per hour wage this government requires. My flat tax is not progressive because everyone pays the same unified percentage. The current system of a graduated income tax is hindering job creation in the first place.

My right to work plan actually does the opposite of what you say. Look at the states which have implemented it in RL. Businesses are fleeing Illinois to Indiana because our business climate is much more friendly than the union domineering the economic ship of Illinois. Just look at the statistics and my point will be proven correct. The non union contractors were denied because they are non union contractors. Not because they wouldn't follow the MEGWA rules. They have no problem building energy efficient buildings or with wage regulations. My problem is that the MEGWA is a good government beaurocracy picking economic winners and losers. We call that crony capitalism and that's something I'm going to dismantle.

2. Australia made a critical mistake banning gun ownership. Most countries with strict gun regulations also have higher violent crime rates. The Swiss model of gun education is successful and should be one tried in Atlasian regions. I think we could work together to promote gun education. Wether in our current government or in the new regional structure.

3. We seek similar goals on environmental stewardship but our means are what make us different. I trust business owners in making those choices. You think government mandates should. We can agree to disagree on that. The reason I bring up natural gas is we should transition to alternative fuels as they become more economically sound (which they are not at this point). Natural gas vehicles are proven to reduce mans impact on the environment in comparison to our current arrangement. Plus we have enough to last us into a more environmentally sound position.

4. One can support the new constitution while voicing criticisms of it. It's part of freedom of speech. I just believe splitting our region in two destroys our influence. I can't accept the map as proposed because it splits us apart without the individuals of the states in question getting to decide which region to be part of. I like that you brought up the Indiana Illinois cultural north south splits. That's proof enough the states should be able to decide. My state is more southern than northern as is Illinois but we aren't given the choice to decide for ourselves in this. Your state got the better end of the deal in consolidating. I'm just trying to do the same for mine. That's why I proposed putting Indiana in the South. It wasn't given a fair up or down vote at the ConCon. I do hace one question. Are you open to advocating a 4 region map down the line once activity improves to bring back a Mideast region?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies