Politico: Republicans expand redistricting strategy for 2020 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:11:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Politico: Republicans expand redistricting strategy for 2020 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politico: Republicans expand redistricting strategy for 2020  (Read 2126 times)
PoliticalJunkie23
Rookie
United States

« on: September 30, 2017, 03:50:42 PM »

Let's cross our fingers and pray to deities that the Supreme Court makes the right decision on gerrymandering.
PoliticalJunkie23
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 07:30:07 PM »

Let's cross our fingers and pray to deities that the Supreme Court makes the right decision on gerrymandering.

I always hope that the Supreme Court will make "the right decision" based on an objective interpretation of the Constitution, and in my carefully considered opinion, the right decision is that gerrymandering is not unconstitutional. According to what I've read so far, the Court has yet to come up with at least five Justices who have clearly stated whether or not the phenomenon of gerrymandering is constitutional or unconstitutional.

PJ, if you think it is clearly unconstitutional, what provision in the Constitution prohibits gerrymandering?

The Supreme Court decided in 1986 in Davis v. Bandemer that partisan gerrymandering is unconstitutional and can be challenged in court. The problem is that is that it set such strict standards that hardly anything came up as gerrymandering. That is what needs to be changed, as shoving different groups into oddly shaped districts to benefit one party is clearly unconstitutional.
PoliticalJunkie23
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 03:02:42 PM »

It's hilarious watching partisan Democrats and Republicans talk about how they want to unfairly draw districts to benefit their corrupt parties. I really can't believe people are like this.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies