HRC - "Trump/Sanders capitalized on anger, I beat both, 3rd party ppl are crazy" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:15:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  HRC - "Trump/Sanders capitalized on anger, I beat both, 3rd party ppl are crazy" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: HRC - "Trump/Sanders capitalized on anger, I beat both, 3rd party ppl are crazy"  (Read 3904 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« on: May 30, 2017, 02:29:40 PM »

I repeat my earlier observation that every time Hillary has spoken since the election, I'm more convinced the loss was entirely her fault and she is a terrible candidat.

That new magazine cover she's on is the most out-of-touch thing I've seen in a while.

I'm inclined to agree. Even with so much out of her control, she could have won with a few not-particularly difficult choices (better VP, coherent campaign message, better campaigning in Rust Belt).

What we saw in 2016 was a better packaged - but not any more effective - version of her 2008 primary campaign. Especially in how it was run. What we've seen since the election makes me question my belief that she would have been a competent technocrat as chief executive. Instead, we might have gotten a lower-key version of the endless meltdown that is the Trump administration.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »

I've said it before, but I'm glad that she lost. Trump is exactly the disaster that Democrats in 2018 need to win state governments in order to have a say in redistricting.

I've said it before, but I'm glad that he lost. Bush is exactly the disaster that Democrats in 2002 need to win back the House.
9/11 gave Bush nigh impossible approval ratings for any President to duplicate. Not a good comparison.

And we're ruling out of the possibility of another major terrorist attack in the next year because...?

A 9/11 repeat at this point would be near-perfect for Trump. Whether or not the attackers had anything to do with the country's targeted by his travel ban wouldn't matter for too many people.  Sure, the left would point out that he failed to keep America safe, and that nothing he'd suggested or tried would have prevented the attack. But that wouldn't matter.

Trump would peg his xenophobia, declare national security for everything, and create the police state he craves. He'd probably invade someplace, too. The economy would enjoy a few years of surge from the wave of deficit military and security spending.  Every single problem will be blamed on foreigners and Democrats. The GOP would back him to the hilt on every bit of it.

The final result would be a US more like Russia than anything else: broken economy, corrupt one-party oligarchy, not quite a pariah state but disliked internationally, and always invading countries (only we'd go afield, while Russia stays close to its borders). And with a hefty helping of theocracy (and continuing to deal with the Saudis, of course). A nation that will be left behind by the future, unless it succeeds in killing the future first.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies