BREAKING: Don Blankenship switches parties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:33:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  BREAKING: Don Blankenship switches parties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Don Blankenship switches parties  (Read 5825 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: August 27, 2019, 10:08:41 PM »

A Justice vs. Blankenship election would be so uniquely terrible in a way only West Virginia could possibly manage.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 07:51:38 PM »

Why are y'all assuming he'll beat Swearengin in the primary?

A TYT-endorsed, Justice Dem like her losing should be a basic assumption lol

Also Swearengin is running for Senate, not governor.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 06:36:02 PM »

It would be a monumentous disaster if the WV Democratic Party even allows that fat sack of Blankenship to even run for the primaries.
If he meets the requirements of the office there is no legal way they can stop him from running

Yeah, let's not forget a prison inmate felon almost beat Obama in the Democratic primary in 2012. Blankenship could very well take this.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 05:14:23 PM »

Once again, who is going to support Blankenship in the primary?

And you can't just say "muh conservadems" as they despise Blankenship as well. Blankenship is probably as popular as Hillary Clinton in coal country.

LOL, former conservadems were Blankenship's main constituency in the Republican primary. He crushed it in Mingo County and did far better in coal country than he did in the north.

Secondly, these are the same people that voted for a literal prison inmate/felon over the incumbent black president.

Thirdly, you clearly have no idea of the political dynamics of WV if you think Blankenship is as despised as Obama/Hillary in the state.

Then she writes about arriving in Mingo County, where there were protesters waiting for her:

Standing with them was Don Blankenship, the multimillionaire former CEO of a large coal company who was convicted for conspiring to violate mine safety regulations after the Upper Big Branch mine explosion killed twenty-nine workers in 2010. He was due to report to prison just days later, but he made time to come protest me first.

She goes on, describing the maddening politics of the coalfields:

Just look at Don Blankenship, the coal boss who joined the protest against me on his way to prison. In recent years, even as the coal industry has struggled and workers have been laid off, top executives like him have pocketed huge pay increases, with compensation rising 60 percent between 2004 and 2016. Blankenship endangered his workers, undermined their union, and polluted their rivers and streams, all while making big profits and contributing millions to Republican candidates. He should have been the least popular man in West Virginia even before he was convicted in the wake of the death of twenty-nine miners. Instead, he was welcomed by the pro-Trump protesters in Williamson. One of them told a reporter that he’d vote for Blankenship for president if he ran. Meanwhile, I pledged to strengthen the laws to protect workers and hold bosses like Blankenship accountable — the fact that he received a jail sentence of just one year was appalling — yet I was the one being protested.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies