Theory about Republican primaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:28:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Theory about Republican primaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Theory about Republican primaries  (Read 1282 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2007, 07:52:55 PM »

Call me crazy, but I think I have a suspicion about what's going on behind the scenes in the GOP primary. I think that McCain has found out long ago that he will not win the Republican nomination, but had an ace up his sleeve: Fred Thompson. I think it is possible that McCain may have encouraged Thompson to consider a run. Now, out front, this may seem insane, but think about the long-term effects. First off, many Republicans are uncomfortable with the current frontrunner, Rudy Giuliani, and want an alternative. McCain might have thought that Thompson could absorb the anti-McCain vote from Giuliani, and to a lesser extent Romney, thus diminishing Giuliani's lead. Also, when Thompson finally participates in a debate, it will provide McCain an opportunity to gain some debate points by attacking Giuliani and Romney, while they are too preoccupied attacking Thompson. Then assuming Thompson's campaign does fail, he could drop out and endorse McCain, thus making him relevant again.

Of course, if this plan doesn't work, there is always plan B. Thompson's candidacy may not be a secret plan to help McCain, but it may actually be genuine. It is possible that McCain realized his campaign was dying, but, rather than try to resuscitate it, he tried to ressurect it. Maybe McCain encouraged Thompson to run, to give McCain a second chance. McCain could drop out and endorse Thompson, then become the VP nominee after he wins the nomination, although he would really be in control of the ticket. I'm not saying this is all true, but I'm just trying to start speculation and a discussion.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:16:57 PM »

It's not impossible.

After all, Romney was a (failed) front for Rockefeller in 1968.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 11:15:02 PM »

It would be an unmitigated disaster for any Presidential nominee to have the ticket controlled by the Vice Presidential nominee.  It could not, and would not happen.

The Presidential nominee on such a ticket would become a laughing stock.

I can see it now

"If you aren't in control of your own ticket, how can Americans expect you to be in control of the country?"

McCain would never accept the Vice Presidential nomination from any Presidential nominee.   
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 11:18:38 PM »

It would be an unmitigated disaster for any Presidential nominee to have the ticket controlled by the Vice Presidential nominee.  It could not, and would not happen.

The Presidential nominee on such a ticket would become a laughing stock.

I can see it now

"If you aren't in control of your own ticket, how can Americans expect you to be in control of the country?"

McCain would never accept the Vice Presidential nomination from any Presidential nominee.   

I didn't say the ticket would be controlled by McCain, I meant that McCain would be the one who really made all the decisions if they got elected. Kinda like Cheney is right now.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 02:26:02 AM »

wow there really is a vast right win conspiracy

One conspiracy I do believe is that a first tier candidate could keep a second tier candidate in the race and get that guy to attack another first tier candidate for him....with promises of being on the short list for vp, cabinet, etc.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 02:32:36 AM »

Call me crazy, but I think I have a suspicion about what's going on behind the scenes in the GOP primary. I think that McCain has found out long ago that he will not win the Republican nomination, but had an ace up his sleeve: Fred Thompson. I think it is possible that McCain may have encouraged Thompson to consider a run. Now, out front, this may seem insane, but think about the long-term effects. First off, many Republicans are uncomfortable with the current frontrunner, Rudy Giuliani, and want an alternative. McCain might have thought that Thompson could absorb the anti-McCain vote from Giuliani, and to a lesser extent Romney, thus diminishing Giuliani's lead. Also, when Thompson finally participates in a debate, it will provide McCain an opportunity to gain some debate points by attacking Giuliani and Romney, while they are too preoccupied attacking Thompson. Then assuming Thompson's campaign does fail, he could drop out and endorse McCain, thus making him relevant again.

Of course, if this plan doesn't work, there is always plan B. Thompson's candidacy may not be a secret plan to help McCain, but it may actually be genuine. It is possible that McCain realized his campaign was dying, but, rather than try to resuscitate it, he tried to ressurect it. Maybe McCain encouraged Thompson to run, to give McCain a second chance. McCain could drop out and endorse Thompson, then become the VP nominee after he wins the nomination, although he would really be in control of the ticket. I'm not saying this is all true, but I'm just trying to start speculation and a discussion.

Sorry, but McCain is not only an arrogant s.o.b., but he's not that smart.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies