Theory about Republican primaries (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:42:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Theory about Republican primaries (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Theory about Republican primaries  (Read 1286 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« on: June 26, 2007, 02:32:36 AM »

Call me crazy, but I think I have a suspicion about what's going on behind the scenes in the GOP primary. I think that McCain has found out long ago that he will not win the Republican nomination, but had an ace up his sleeve: Fred Thompson. I think it is possible that McCain may have encouraged Thompson to consider a run. Now, out front, this may seem insane, but think about the long-term effects. First off, many Republicans are uncomfortable with the current frontrunner, Rudy Giuliani, and want an alternative. McCain might have thought that Thompson could absorb the anti-McCain vote from Giuliani, and to a lesser extent Romney, thus diminishing Giuliani's lead. Also, when Thompson finally participates in a debate, it will provide McCain an opportunity to gain some debate points by attacking Giuliani and Romney, while they are too preoccupied attacking Thompson. Then assuming Thompson's campaign does fail, he could drop out and endorse McCain, thus making him relevant again.

Of course, if this plan doesn't work, there is always plan B. Thompson's candidacy may not be a secret plan to help McCain, but it may actually be genuine. It is possible that McCain realized his campaign was dying, but, rather than try to resuscitate it, he tried to ressurect it. Maybe McCain encouraged Thompson to run, to give McCain a second chance. McCain could drop out and endorse Thompson, then become the VP nominee after he wins the nomination, although he would really be in control of the ticket. I'm not saying this is all true, but I'm just trying to start speculation and a discussion.

Sorry, but McCain is not only an arrogant s.o.b., but he's not that smart.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies