Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 10:43:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 386610 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2011, 03:03:04 PM »

Is the parenthetical list at the end of section 2 of the proposed bill meant to be exhaustive, or simply examples of what constitute crimes for this purpose?
It's exhaustive.  You can't go ahead and kill someone for only, say, walking around on your lawn.  It's illegal if they're trespassing, but you can just call the cops for those kinds of things.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »

The Self Defense Act was repealed underrated my term as Speaker FYI.
What legislation did that?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »

I didn't see a report that repeals the previous bill, but if it's no longer in effect, then I am withdrawing my amendment.  This is now a separate bill.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2011, 01:09:12 AM »

Is the parenthetical list at the end of section 2 of the proposed bill meant to be exhaustive, or simply examples of what constitute crimes for this purpose?
It's exhaustive.  You can't go ahead and kill someone for only, say, walking around on your lawn.  It's illegal if they're trespassing, but you can just call the cops for those kinds of things.

Good. In that case I would offer an amendment changing the wording of section 2 to:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I can certainly support this bill.
Doesn't the fact that someone's trying to rob you give you the right to fend them off, if they're armed or unarmed?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2011, 10:41:22 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2011, 10:45:56 AM by Scott »

Does the sponsor consider the amendment friendly or unfriendly?

Unfriendly.

If someone is stealing from you, period, you have the right to defend yourself.  Also, say the person committing the burglary is unarmed, but ends up getting killed unintentionally, in a fight with the person he's stealing from.  The property owner would be held liable for using force to protect his property, just because the robber didn't have a gun on them.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2011, 04:38:13 PM »

Friendly.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2011, 09:08:17 PM »

Aye.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2011, 09:34:23 PM »

I don't really see how The Prisoner Diet Reform Act was necessary, so I don't think much would change if we repealed it.  But why do you think we should repeal The Northeastern Green Jobs Act?  If this legislation repeals that bill, I plan on voting against this.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2011, 10:07:03 PM by Scott »

Albeit, the bill has flaws because it doesn't lay out how to convert these jobs, but it should be a priority of the Northeast government to transition our fuel sources, and thus, the jobs that bring us our fuel.  For example, if we fund research that finds alternative fuel sources, there would consequentially be less jobs in the oil industry and more green jobs, instead.  Now, we don't have to do this by force, necessarily, but we ought to maintain the right economic environment that supports green jobs.

I would be open to amendments that improve the bill and lay out specifics, but The Northeastern Green Jobs Act sets one of our government's priorities; that being, promoting green jobs.  If we don't place green jobs as a priority, then we won't make any progress, at all.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2011, 04:37:42 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I think I should remind you that the Castle Law still needs to be brought to the Governor's desk to be signed or vetoed before the deadline. (I'm assuming only the Speaker is allowed to bring legislation to the Governor.)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »

Why was The Prisoner Diet Reform Act passed, anyway?  Was it to save money, somehow?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2011, 06:52:50 PM »

I might vote for the repeal or abstain, unless someone can convince me why we need it.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2011, 09:40:09 PM »

Abstain.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2011, 10:32:56 PM »

The Constitution doesn't prohibit the creation of this body, so I don't feel this is unconstitutional.  I also believe the commission is necessary for our region.  I plan to vote nay on this, and I don't have any amendments to offer.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »

I plan to vote against this for substantive reasons as well, but it's my sense that a piece of legislation describing another piece of legislation as 'evil' is entirely unparliamentary and uncalled-for.
I agree.  This body is far from something I would consider 'evil', and I would like some examples of how it may have impacted the region negatively.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2011, 11:28:19 PM »

Nay.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2011, 06:35:33 PM »

I have proposed this bill because I believe the technology can play a key role in education in the Northeast.  Last year, a school in Michigan experimented with the idea by giving their students laptops.  Not only was their experiment cheap, as the cost only represented 1.5% of the total education budget, but the laptops resulted in better grades, better critical thinking, research, and writing skills, and increased collaboration among students.  For students with disabilities, they were able to get homework done much faster than they would normally and keep up in their classes.  If we pass this bill, we can modernize education in the Northeast.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »

Hence why I said, personal responsibility.  Personally, I've used a laptop computer at the schools I've gone to for four years.  I've never lost it once, because it's never left my sight.  This bill does not mandate laptops for irresponsible students, but students who request them will be asked to take care of them and pay for loss or damage, if necessary.  If the guardian of the child does not believe they are capable of handling a laptop, they don't have to sign the permission slip.

Yes, computer skills are essential for our school children.  However, giving "personal" laptops to 6th graders is an invitation for not only wasted money that could be used in better ways, but a leap of faith.  More importantly, $3.5 billion is a substantial amount of money.  Without looking, I'm sure this is a sizable chunk of our education budget.  To me, the costs far outweigh the benefits.  We would be better off if schools created terminals that students could use to practice their computer skills, research, ect.
I realize now that 6th grade might be a bit too early to give students laptops, and I will be open to amendments that raise the minimum grade level for eligibility.  And if you believe costs are a problem, we can lower the money put into this program, too.  Walled Lake's program cost about $242 per student, or $17 million each year.  It sounds like a lot of money, but as I said, that was less than 1.5% of their education budget.

Schools have terminals, but students don't always have access to those.  Portable laptops would be more convenient.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2011, 06:32:08 PM »

I feel there will be very little debate on this prior to voting, so I am offering a motion to extend debate time by 48 hours.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2011, 06:44:51 PM »

Sure.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2011, 07:01:44 PM »

Thank you.

I am considering amending this bill so that instead of requiring the government to acquire $3.5 billion for the program, it only requires that 1.5% or so of the total education budget is used to fund it.  However, I would like some input by the representatives before I go about doing that.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2011, 07:21:03 PM »

I am amending this bill to change the way the program is funded, and raise the minimum grade level requirement to seven.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Two points;

1.  Yes, I'd rather have a percentage.  

2.  I understand laptops is the point of this bill, but I'd rather offer funding for schools to create accessible computer terminals, in which students could sign out computer time, ect.  This would allow students of earlier ages who I don't feel can be responsible for a laptop, to obtain necessary skills in a technological age.  Plus, it would reduce costs that would come from buying quite a large quantity of laptops.
Many schools already do have computer terminals/labs for students.  I'm not objecting to that idea at all.  But that would be more useful to schools for lower grade levels (K-6), since those students have less of a need for personal laptops.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2011, 01:25:47 AM »

I would appreciate opinions from people who haven't said anything about the legislation, yet.  I requested more debate time for that reason.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2011, 01:51:26 PM »

Withdrawing.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend