Rockefeller Republicans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:08:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Rockefeller Republicans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rockefeller Republicans  (Read 16271 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: January 11, 2010, 02:24:21 AM »

Well if the real conservatives and libertarians leave for a party that actually listens to them, it could happen.

Then the GOP would fall entirely into the hands of neocons like Don and we'd have this:

Amen brotha.
I will say right now nothing would please me more than to see the Grand Ole Authoritarian Party finally die it's long overdue death.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 04:34:31 PM »

They're still out there making an impact, albeit in the other party.  A more relavant term for them nowadays should be Gravel Democrats:  Fiscally moderate, socially libertarian, white-collar suburbanites.  My boss is one, she campaigned for Obama, but is a registered independent and self-described "moderate republican".  She despises the Hannity/Limbaugh crowd, but she says Democrats "spend too much money".

Most Rockefeller Republicans were located in the northeast.  They're basically the counterpart to the populist dixiecrats of the South.  Neither party can ever carry both the south and the northeast, since both regions are so culturally polarized against each other. 

Gravel a Rockefeller Republican?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockefeller_drug_laws
How "socially libertarian" indeed.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »

People love to interpret posts the way they want to on this board.  The times have changed, guys.  Most white collar suburbanites couldn't careless about gays, drugs, school prayer, etc.  Their main issue of concern is economics and inteligent governance.  While they don't align perfectly with the campaign platform of Nelson Rockefeller in 1964, they are the children of this voting demographic, and this is 2010, not 1964!  It's a matter of generational shift

P.S. Gravel is a liberal-leaning libertarian on the nolan chart, right cozy next to Jim Jeffords.   

Yet they still proudly wear his name.
My advice, don't call them Rockefeller Republicans.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies