asians? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:29:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  asians? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: asians?  (Read 13710 times)
CTguy

« on: March 14, 2004, 06:26:45 AM »

I agree with an earlier poster.  I think the main reason Asians tend to be democratic and are trending more so is because they are highly educated.  And it is the college educated ones that are more likely to vote.  People with advanced degrees tend to vote democratic.  I also don't think that Asians in the United States are as conservative as people are saying.  If you look at some recent polls on the gay marriage issue in California for instance, Asians were one of the few groups that a majority were pro-gay marriage.
CTguy

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 05:33:57 AM »

CTguy,

Firstly, only 15% of Asians vote. So it's kind of silly to say that most Asians vote Democrat because the ones who did vote voted Democrat.

Though it's true that probably most graduate-educated people are liberal, that doesn't make liberals "better educated" than conservatives. Their intelligence balances out with all the less educated people- hispanics (70%) and blacks (85%) usually vote liberal, and they arn't very well educated people. That's 30% of the population right there, and about 1/3 of the democrat's population.

So no, liberals are not usually 'better educated'.

There is a difference between Liberal and Democrat.  The 70% of hispanics and 85% of blacks that are voting democratic are not doing so primarily because of social issues or because they are liberal.  They are doing so because democratic policies benefit them economically.  

If you control for this, most people who vote based on ideology that are educated are liberal while people with less education tend to be conservative.  It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to see that many of the precincts Gore won in 2000 were college towns or areas around cities where people hold advanced degrees.    Whereas most of the vast rural expanses that Bush won are culturally social areas where most people didn't go to college.
CTguy

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 05:36:53 AM »

By the way just on this topic.  I was wondering if anyone read a study I read way back when that said that one of the biggest predictors of how a state voted in 2000 was how many public and private universities are located in that state as a ratio of the population.  States with more universities as a proportion of the population (MA, NY, CT) tended to vote for Gore and those with the least tended to vote for Bush.  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies