Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:23:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-AZ) in critical condition, 6 others killed in Arizona  (Read 75802 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 09, 2011, 01:04:55 AM »

I don't even know what to say about this. I just got home from work and found out about it now. Obviously, I wish Rep. Giffords and the families of the victims the best. Other than that... speechless.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 03:27:18 AM »

Honestly, he seems like a politically confused/jumbled kid (kind of like a lot of people on this forum) with other major mental issues present. If what drove this was explicitly political, the truth may be found with this other older person they're searching for I'd imagine.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2011, 11:14:35 PM by The Past Sure is Tense »

ah, so this is the type of rhetoric we should be using to promote nonviolence. i see.

and what exactly does that have to do with violence? Actually, don't bother.

Well, it doesn't contribute to a softening of tone that many in these threads are calling for.

It seems, not just through reading this thread, but through the responses of many persons who were quick to point fingers and even quicker to call for the silencing of opinions of other people with certain political views under the guise of "bringing civility back to political discussions", that there is little interest in softening the tone of the political debate, as the actual effect of these unsubstantiated accusations is similar to the effect of poking one's fingers into the eyes of the neighbor's pet dog repeatedly.

There is zero evidence that the "heightened political rhetoric" of the past two years has anything to do with what occurred.  And if it did, big deal.  American political history is full of incendiary rhetoric, violence and calls for revolution.  And we're better for it because of it, imho.

[/2 cents]

Maybe. The people who die as result of those things certainly aren't better for it though. It's kind of a dilemma.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »

I thought the speech was excellent and quite appropriate, if not exactly matching the feelings of what normal people feel about the tragedy.

Yeah, leaving a section about lynching the kid who did this out was probably for the best.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies