SENATE BILL: Ukrainian Technical, Economical and Military Aid (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:14:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Ukrainian Technical, Economical and Military Aid (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Ukrainian Technical, Economical and Military Aid (Debating)  (Read 11413 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2014, 10:13:03 AM »

I like Shua's amendment. I don't think I'll be voting for this at any rate (it conflicts with my anti-imperialist principles) but I do support watering it down as much as possible, given that the author of this bill would be just fine with sending Atlasian soldiers to die in defense of the Ukrainian regime.

And you would just fine with condemning Ukraine to economic slavery and continous revolts funded by pro-Russian events. Although I should point out I never spoke about sending actual combat troops, but facts don't seem to matter a lot these days...
Even assuming that dependence on Russia for energy supplies is equivalent to "economic slavery," you still have yet to explain how this aid would liberate Ukraine.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2014, 11:13:12 AM »

I like Shua's amendment. I don't think I'll be voting for this at any rate (it conflicts with my anti-imperialist principles) but I do support watering it down as much as possible, given that the author of this bill would be just fine with sending Atlasian soldiers to die in defense of the Ukrainian regime.

And you would just fine with condemning Ukraine to economic slavery and continous revolts funded by pro-Russian events. Although I should point out I never spoke about sending actual combat troops, but facts don't seem to matter a lot these days...
Even assuming that dependence on Russia for energy supplies is equivalent to "economic slavery," you still have yet to explain how this aid would liberate Ukraine.

Don't hold your breath on that, comrade. Hawks never do.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This amendment Tyrion.

1) Why deleting the Preamble, Tyrion? There is nothing controversial. Maybe you're openly backing the annexation of Crimea by Russia?

2) Why deleting section 1? I don't see how this is controversial.

3) Why deleting the "unity part". How is this controversial? Are you supporting a divided Ukraine? What's the problem with this part?

4) What's the problem with the former section 2 point 2? In which way helping the Ukrainians to face the problems with gaz is controversial?

5) And finallyn, why cutting the aid by 1B? 1 Billion represents absolutely nothing in term of spending for Atlasia (our spending= something like 2000B???). But for Ukraine, it is important 1B.
So why constantly cutting the aid? I honestly just see a reason: Ukrainophobia.

I would like to remind all of you, and especially you Tyrion, that Russia is far worse than Israel on minority matters. Yep, Russia passed recently anti gay laws for isntance. And ti's better not to be in ethnic minority (like Georgian,...) if you want to save your life. Russia is far worse than Israel for that.

Considering you voted for the TNF plan, completely ending any economic relations with Israel (=economic sanctions) few weeks ago, a plan much more agressive than the Lumine's plan. So I would like to know, why constantly voting for these amendments, especially because you supported something much more aggressive against Israel few weeks ago?

And please,
1) The Ukrainian resistance isn't nazi.
2) And yep, spending can be hijacked by criminals. That doesn't mean cutting is the right thing to do. The best is to improve a bit (like watching seriously how this would be spent,...). I mean, every government spending can be hijacked by corrupt people. Does that mean the atlasian government spendings shall be cut entirely? I'm sure, considering your party, you don't support that Wink.

I don't understand your concerns with this bill:
1) There is no miitary intervention
2) and there isn't even economic sanctions against Russia.

Thanks for the clarification, Mr. Vice President.

1) The preamble isn't necessary for the body of the bill to work. Consider it neutral, in the sense that I'd vote for "good" amendment (meaning one that has parts I would support) with and without that preamble being cut out.

2) I'm not sure why Atlasia needs to be policing every case of international corruption. I certainly agree with the sentiment that corruption is bad, but we don't always need to be policing everything. With that said, if this specific clause passed, I would not lose any sleep.

3) I do support unity, but that phrase is unnecessarily vague, and more narrative than legislation. In other words, it's something I'd say this legislation is intended to do regardless of whether it's in the text or not. But, again, it being in the text wouldn't make me lose any sleep.

4) We should not be in the business of managing Ukraine's economy. Atlasia hasn't reached energy independence from Russia; why should we expect a much smaller nation to be able to do so? If it serves Ukraine's best interests to acquire whatever they need from Russia, so be it. As long as it's their decision, I frankly don't think it matters. 

5) Certainly, $1 billion is not going to make or break the budget, but I don't really see any particular need for this in the budget. I would have supported a larger cut, if offered.

Russia is a dreadful country for civil rights; don't get me wrong. But nothing that the particular amendment cut out had much to do with Russia being, to put it bluntly, a terrible excuse for a developed country.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »

Thank you for your answer Senator Tyrion.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #179 on: July 07, 2014, 03:23:10 PM »

So I shall break the tie:

Seriously, I'm saddened to see that 4 senators missed the vote. Well, this is a problem with communication I guess. You were probably unaware there was a vote.
So, first reform I will do: I will PM all of you when I will open a vote! 

The topic title was not updated when Cincy opened the vote, that is why it was missed by so many people.

PMs will probably be necessary, especailly where bills where we cannot update the thread topic titles between us like this one started by Cincy (Cincy seems to be rather detached, his response to my last PM was that he was retired adn something about his lawn).

I used to send out PMs, rather sadistic and creepy ones to get people's attention. People began to not appreciate them and even grumple about them and twoards the end of last year once Gass, Nappy and Xahar had left, it didn't appear to be necessary as people were voting rather regularly and so I stopped. I should have started again in March.

Send me a PM with what the titles need to be changed to and I'll do it, when I actually see it.  Other than that, I have no ability to do anything for you in an official capacity.  Amendment votes are on windjammer now.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2014, 11:47:53 PM »

So, what is the status of my amendment?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2014, 12:08:28 AM »

Well, I declared it friendly, and as objection time passed a couple of hours ago Windjammer should post here pretty soon.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2014, 01:20:05 AM »

Since Lumine is friendly to shua's amendment,

Senator, you have until July 07, 2014, 10:18:25 pm to object to shua's amendment.

Yea Windjammer can call it as passed ^
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2014, 03:11:04 AM »

Don't worry shua! When this is 10pm in Virginian, this is something like 5am in France, so I was just sleeping, I don't forget you Tongue.

Without any objection, shua's amendment passes.
I, Windjammer, President of the Senate, certify these results are accurate.

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2014, 09:13:13 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2014, 09:15:55 AM by DemPGH, President »

Section 2.2 is reasonable and is probably a good idea.

Section 2.1 and $5 billion dollars I'm not certain of. Do we have any way of knowing that that will achieve the desired result? It seems to me that you would need a lot of people (are they civilian, are they military?) to ensure all that happens. What standards are there? I'm completely opposed to sending military personnel into Ukraine at this time. You don't pour people and money into a turmoil-ridden situation because we're Atlasia and all problems go poof.

2.1.1 seems rather overboard to me, but I'll need to research the situation and the Act to which that applies.

At any rate, the cumulative effort at this moment in time includes: Bomb Iraq, do ALL of this for Ukraine, and allow private businesses to run guns overseas (by repealing the End to Imperialism Act). One would think this had suddenly become a war games simulator!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2014, 03:55:08 PM »

Section 2.2 is reasonable and is probably a good idea.

Section 2.1 and $5 billion dollars I'm not certain of. Do we have any way of knowing that that will achieve the desired result? It seems to me that you would need a lot of people (are they civilian, are they military?) to ensure all that happens. What standards are there? I'm completely opposed to sending military personnel into Ukraine at this time. You don't pour people and money into a turmoil-ridden situation because we're Atlasia and all problems go poof.

2.1.1 seems rather overboard to me, but I'll need to research the situation and the Act to which that applies.

At any rate, the cumulative effort at this moment in time includes: Bomb Iraq, do ALL of this for Ukraine, and allow private businesses to run guns overseas (by repealing the End to Imperialism Act). One would think this had suddenly become a war games simulator!

I mean no disrespect, but one could think the administration is going idealistic as well, Mr. President, xD

Why is such a bad thing to actually do something in the foreign stage (with the exception of Superique's efforts and accomplishments) that doesn't involve speeches and wishful thinking? Yes, I think we should do ALL of this for Ukraine and more if we want to stand up for our ally and prove that we are willing to help beyond offering some words and minor actions to dissuade Russia, and I also think trying to fight ISIS is a good objective (and it's certainly not about bombing Iraq to the ground like Senator Griffin suggested or putting boots on the ground like Senator TNF believes). Atlasia seems to have gained a fear to do what's can and should be done to instead focus on domestic policy or in going after policies with idealistic objectives that end up becoming a nuisance, like the End to Imperialism Act.

Of course, it's up to the SoEA and the Administration to use these resources as I have explained, and while I very much doubt military training personnel will be considered as an option, I hope the administration will be willing to send civilians to work on this. I don't believe helping the Tatars is an overboard idea, these people are being prosecuted and discriminated in Crimea and if we can help them, I believe we should. In all fairness, if people think using our resources is a bad thing, then what are we supposed to do? Leave Ukraine to fend off by themselves when we could do something to help a nation with which we have a signed commitment? Problems won't go poof as well if we do nothing.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #186 on: July 09, 2014, 03:28:04 AM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #187 on: July 09, 2014, 05:25:55 AM »

Senator Lumine, friendly or hostile?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #188 on: July 09, 2014, 09:45:11 AM »

Friendly. I'm fine with making modifications like this so we can get this passed with greater numbers, it's the amendments that strike down entire sections the ones that drive me insane, xD
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2014, 04:43:40 AM »

Senators, you have until July 11,2014, 9:45:11 am to object to Tyrion's amendment.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2014, 09:56:40 AM »

[/quote]
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2014, 11:57:17 AM »

Senator TNF has a small point in my mistake in putting "United States" instead of Atlasia, but this is obviously a hostile amendment.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2014, 12:10:34 PM »

Please Lumine, wait for the end of the other amendment before saying you're hostile or not Tongue.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #193 on: July 11, 2014, 05:27:22 AM »

At least he's is responding early as opposed to late on the matter. Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #194 on: July 11, 2014, 03:18:09 PM »

Without any objection, Tyrion's amendment passes.

I, Windjammer, President of the Senate, certify these results are accurate.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #195 on: July 11, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »

Senator Lumine, friendly or hostile to senator TNF's amendment? (Tongue)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #196 on: July 11, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

You know, I think TNF may actually be right in his sensible amend... Hostile!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #197 on: July 12, 2014, 04:21:46 AM »

Senators, you have 24 hours, before I start a vote.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #198 on: July 12, 2014, 09:54:02 AM »

I was told there was a vote now, but there is none. I suppose I'll just state my opposition to tactics like those of a certain colleague.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2014, 09:58:53 AM »

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH Sorry! The veto override isn't in this thread! I will soon resend a PM to all the senators!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies