De Blasio and NYC crime
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 09:21:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  De Blasio and NYC crime
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: De Blasio and NYC crime  (Read 795 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2013, 01:31:13 AM »

NYC has seen a dramatic transformation over the past few decades from a city that was losing population and riddled with crime to perhaps the lowest crime rates ever and a growing, vibrant population.

See:
http://gothamist.com/2013/11/03/nyc_on_pace_in_2013_for_least_amoun.php

Both Giuliani and Bloomberg have helped transformed the city from the days of the 1980s.

Its clear, however, that De Blasio offers a change of pace from his predecessors. How will his polities change the current trends, and will he continue to keep New Yorkers safe?

No trolls please, thank you.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 08:45:51 AM »

NYC is certainly safer than the 70s-90s, but their crime is rate is kept artificially low.

Google search so you can pick your own "truth" or...
Huffington Post
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:26:54 AM »

So crime was expanded with Bloomberg!
Link
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 11:36:16 AM »

NYC has seen a dramatic transformation over the past few decades from a city that was losing population and riddled with crime to perhaps the lowest crime rates ever and a growing, vibrant population.

See:
http://gothamist.com/2013/11/03/nyc_on_pace_in_2013_for_least_amoun.php

Both Giuliani and Bloomberg have helped transformed the city from the days of the 1980s.

Its clear, however, that De Blasio offers a change of pace from his predecessors. How will his polities change the current trends, and will he continue to keep New Yorkers safe?

So you are torn between your alleged libertarian ideals and your feeling that it is okay to violate the rights of negros.  Quite the pickle.  I don't envy you.

NYC is certainly safer than the 70s-90s, but their crime is rate is kept artificially low.

I suppose an argument can be made for the broken windows phenomenon.  Part of fighting crime is psychological warfare.  If there is an atmosphere of lawlessness then not only will law abiding citizens and businesses flee but also criminals will be emboldened.  Stuff has definitely changed in NYC.  Times Square keeps getting more and more family friendly each time I go back (not necessarily a good thing).  For heaven sake I watched an opera sitting on a nice free seat in the middle of times square.  I walked in a park in the sky that used to be a crime riddled derelict part of town.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »

Well, getting rid of Stop-and-Frisk is definitely a positive move; the policy is a part of the scary recent trend that the Fourth Amendment doesn't exist and getting rid of it should certainly be prioritized.

As for crime more generally, I kind of doubt deBlasio will actually change that much in the police department (besides surface changes, like getting rid of Stop-and-Frisk), so I don't think it'll shift that much. Crime has a noted tendency to follow generational trends; ~20 years after heightened birth rates (like in the early 2000s), there's usually a rise in crime. So deBlasio might have some issues in his 2nd-3rd terms as mayor, but I doubt this coming term will be marked by some kind of rise in crime.
Link
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »

As for crime more generally, I kind of doubt deBlasio will actually change that much in the police department (besides surface changes, like getting rid of Stop-and-Frisk), so I don't think it'll shift that much. Crime has a noted tendency to follow generational trends; ~20 years after heightened birth rates (like in the early 2000s), there's usually a rise in crime. So deBlasio might have some issues in his 2nd-3rd terms as mayor, but I doubt this coming term will be marked by some kind of rise in crime.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I'm inclined to think stop and frisk had a significant effect on reducing crime.  But it was unbelievably unconstitutional.  I mean I heard about it at thought it was messed up but when I saw the actual statistics I was stunned such a practice could go on for YEARS in the nations largest city.  It really makes me wonder about this whole Constitution thing.  It's a bit of a joke.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nyclu.org/content/stop-and-frisk-data

That has to be some of the most ineffective policing I've ever seen.  That's just putting out a minority dragnet and seeing what turns up.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »

As I mention every time this subject comes up, the number one reason for rising crime rates in the 70s-80s, and for falling crime rates now, is leaded gasoline.  As long as it stays banned we are not going back to the bad old days.

Everything else is tinkering around the margins. Maybe stop-and-frisk had a tiny effect, but nowhere near what its supporters claim and certainly nowhere enough to justify its blatantly unconstitutional bigotry.  Other, less problematic, techniques such as COMPSTAT and the like will, I'm sure, be retained. 

This is one issue that I am completely unconcerned about.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »

coming soon
Link
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 12:55:24 PM »

Maybe stop-and-frisk had a tiny effect, but nowhere near what its supporters claim and certainly nowhere enough to justify its blatantly unconstitutional bigotry.

Yeah I'm just talking out of my rear end.  I really have no idea how much it helped.  But honestly it doesn't really matter.  It was so unconstitutional that the point is moot.  How such a practice was allowed to go on for so many years is baffling.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 01:02:37 PM »

Maybe stop-and-frisk had a tiny effect, but nowhere near what its supporters claim and certainly nowhere enough to justify its blatantly unconstitutional bigotry.

Yeah I'm just talking out of my rear end.  I really have no idea how much it helped.  But honestly it doesn't really matter.  It was so unconstitutional that the point is moot.  How such a practice was allowed to go on for so many years is baffling.

because the 4th Amendment has been systematically destroyed over the past 30-40 years, particularly as pertains to minorities in urban areas.  Michelle Alexander does a good job of walking through the relevant SCOTUS cases in The New Jim Crow.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »

So crime was expanded with Bloomberg!

I'm sure there were plenty of trans-fat violations.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies