EU Considering Its Own Army and Nuclear Arsenal as US Withdraws
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:45:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EU Considering Its Own Army and Nuclear Arsenal as US Withdraws
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: EU Considering Its Own Army and Nuclear Arsenal as US Withdraws  (Read 2617 times)
Bismarck
Chancellor

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »

Well I guess Nigel Farage was right, he often mentioned this possibility as a reason to get out of the EU, and was laughed at as a kook by many for this very claim. I doubt many soldiers would want to fight in a European army rather than their own countries armed forces.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 09:29:45 AM »

Well I guess Nigel Farage was right, he often mentioned this possibility as a reason to get out of the EU, and was laughed at as a kook by many for this very claim. I doubt many soldiers would want to fight in a European army rather than their own countries armed forces.

Except all countries have opt outs - the neutral ones like Austria and the Eurosceptics like Denmark are not bforced into the project.

Farage is treated like a kook because he is a loudmouth far more interested in his vanity performances for his creepy fanbase of moronic Americans than anything constructive.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 09:32:56 AM »

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just meet your NATO financial goals?

No, and no.
well that settles that I guess....good luck!

The problem is with the MUH TWO PERCENT obsession is that people on both sides of the channel think about in two ways. Although the dominant narrative stateside is that Germans are twiddling their moustaches and laughing at how they're mooching off Americans, the mood in Germany is very much different.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 12:11:29 PM »

i am pretty sure, not a single european soldier would want to fight in some globalist, multinational, imperialist tool like...let's say...NATO or so.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »

unless, lets say, the Soviets were rolling through their mom's back yard.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2017, 04:24:38 PM »

unless, lets say, the Soviets were rolling through their mom's back yard.

They certainly do in mom mom's backyard.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2017, 06:51:25 PM »

i am pretty sure, not a single european soldier would want to fight in some globalist, multinational, imperialist tool like...let's say...NATO or so.

At least NATO's not a bureaucratic pseudo-nation that dreams of someday becoming a real nation.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2017, 07:12:55 PM »

At least NATO's not a bureaucratic pseudo-nation that dreams of someday becoming a real nation.

There's absolutely no reason why Europe shouldn't become a federal state someday. The thirteen colonies were once a pseudo-nation too.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »

unimportant.

mister trump doesn't want us to suck on american teats and our contrahents are major big nations, which makes the usage of synergetic cooperation logical.

people from the US belittling the EU always seemed strange to me, since the US are the logical prototype for associations like those and the means of uniting US were partially much more "undemocratic" like ours.

well....practically, it works in ways of karma since a weakened EU would also weaken US values on a  global  level but i am not a moralist who could find satisfaction in such things.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 12:49:09 AM »

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just meet your NATO financial goals?

No, and no.

I've always understood that part of the design of NATO is that it assumes the US will be present and fighting. So a NATO force without US support would be missing vital parts, no matter how good the European parts were. So if the EU is worried that it can't count on the US, putting together a complete, stand-alone EU military makes sense, whether they stay in NATO or not.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 01:13:19 AM »

There's absolutely no reason why Europe shouldn't become a federal state someday. The thirteen colonies were once a pseudo-nation too.

The thirteen colonies were much closer culturally. The problem with a federal EU is that representative democracy has issues with scaling. The dysfunction of the US could be largely cured by splitting it into several smaller countries.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 03:36:50 AM »

To add insult to injury, this is what brought down PMF's government.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies