Update: Kyrgyz PM takes the reign, protests ongoing (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:54:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Update: Kyrgyz PM takes the reign, protests ongoing (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update: Kyrgyz PM takes the reign, protests ongoing  (Read 718 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: October 06, 2020, 11:49:50 AM »
« edited: October 06, 2020, 11:54:18 AM by Cath »

Super interesting time to be a Eurasia watcher.

Important details (I don't know a lot about the situation, but I scanned a few articles form the major trusted sources stateside):
1) Only four parties from several made the threshold of 7% to be admitted to parliament; the top two vote-getters are seen as linked to President Jeenbekov.
2) A member of the opposition has declared himself acting Interior Minister after the official Interior Minister didn't show up to work.
3) Former president Atambayev has been freed from prison. He was in power 2011-2017 and was jailed on corruption charges after leaving office (Editors Note: This was a source of great drama as it involved an armed standoff between the authorities and Atambayev allies and is believed to have centered around a contest for power between the sitting and former president - having a politically active former president is somewhat of a rarity in the post-Soviet space outside the Baltics).
4) The geopolitical implications appear murky. I haven't followed Kyrgyzstan in its current state very intensely, but both Atambayev and Jeenbekov are generally seen as aligned with Russia (America's basing was ended in 2014). The major news sources don't mentioned geopolitical orientations of the opposition, and I'm guessing this is because such is not seen as a top-priority issue (apparently even the opposition in Belarus hasn't really bothered to "poke the bear" on foreign policy issues, which would appear to follow Armenia's example).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies