UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:34:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 291328 times)
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2450 on: August 30, 2021, 04:42:04 AM »

I don't think Gove would even be considered....he looks like a cartoon character

I think Cassius was impressed with his dancing prowess rather than his looks.

Patel and Badenoch would be historic firsts, something that a white-dominant conservative party needs......

Lol.
We've only got the most diverse cabinet in history with a record number of the holders of the Great Offices having a minority background (arguably all four do).

Listen chum the UK isn't obsessed with skin colour like the Yanks are.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2451 on: August 30, 2021, 06:12:55 AM »

Indeed, Labour only had two non-white Cabinet members in the entire 1997-2010 government - Paul Boateng and Sadiq Khan, neither of whom were actually department heads.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2452 on: August 30, 2021, 11:45:02 AM »

Yes, but the point is that before 1997 the total was zero. Its a similarly disingenuous argument to the one that claims Tories are "better" on LGBT rights because they legalised same sex marriage - which ignores all the work Labour did to make that possible (and indeed their - decisive - votes in passing it)
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #2453 on: August 30, 2021, 05:54:11 PM »

The Tories have, to be fair, done a pretty good job of getting non-white candidates elected as MPs from their safe seats, just about none of which have non-white populations of any substantial size. Labour, in contrast, returns its BAME MPs overwhelmingly from constituencies with substantial BAME populations and that is somewhere where we could definitely stand to improve.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2454 on: August 30, 2021, 06:50:58 PM »

I don't think Gove would even be considered....he looks like a cartoon character

I think Cassius was impressed with his dancing prowess rather than his looks.

Patel and Badenoch would be historic firsts, something that a white-dominant conservative party needs......

Lol.
We've only got the most diverse cabinet in history with a record number of the holders of the Great Offices having a minority background (arguably all four do).

Listen chum the UK isn't obsessed with skin colour like the Yanks are.

Oh, yes, the UK is obsessed with skin color....if not, Naomi Campbell, The Duchess of Sussex, Dianne Abbott, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka would not have faced the racist abuse they have faced there....
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2455 on: August 31, 2021, 07:08:09 AM »

The news just goes from bad to worse. Geronimo the Alpaca is dead.  Sad  Sad  Sad  Cry  Cry  Cry
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2456 on: August 31, 2021, 07:26:11 AM »

The news just goes from bad to worse. Geronimo the Alpaca is dead.  Sad  Sad  Sad  Cry  Cry  Cry

That this was ever news and that there was a chartered flight for animals out of Afghanistan last week is why we're all f-cked.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2457 on: August 31, 2021, 08:39:48 AM »

Now raving in heaven with Harambe.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2458 on: August 31, 2021, 10:17:43 AM »

There’s also a strong difference in the backgrounds of the BAME MPs in the two main parties; which at least in Labours case tends to mirror the various internal dynamics of the party.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2459 on: August 31, 2021, 11:07:08 AM »

That this was ever news and that there was a chartered flight for animals out of Afghanistan last week is why we're all f-cked.

Sentient, sentient.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2460 on: August 31, 2021, 09:48:44 PM »

Well, leftwing parties all over the world tend to attract more people of color, even rich people of color like athletes and celebrities, while rightwing parties that attract people of color are called coconuts, coons, etc.

Why?

In America, it is the same thing. Black conservatives globally are always maligned....
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2461 on: September 01, 2021, 06:48:58 AM »

Because historically, conservatism has tended to be inimical to minority interests - its not hard. Despite that, there have been prominent non-white supporters of right wing parties from the beginning.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2462 on: September 01, 2021, 09:05:51 AM »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/white-supremacist-spared-jail-sentenced-24882280.amp

Upsetting omission of Elizabeth Gaskell, but otherwise pretty sound sentencing.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2463 on: September 01, 2021, 04:43:00 PM »

Wouldn’t want to be Raab in the next reshuffle- it’s depressing how it isn’t even expected that the PM would have any grip on this situation so Raab is obvious choice.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #2464 on: September 01, 2021, 06:02:03 PM »

Michael Gove has greatly enhanced his reputation in the race for my vote in the next Tory leadership election.
I wonder what you think of his rapping?

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2465 on: September 01, 2021, 09:19:20 PM »

Because historically, conservatism has tended to be inimical to minority interests - its not hard. Despite that, there have been prominent non-white supporters of right wing parties from the beginning.

Well, you have some points, just like how progressivism can be inimical to white working class interests---the ideologies target their prey----

There needs to be more ideological and racial flexibility......I would like to see Kemi Badenoch or Priti Patel as PM one day....
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2466 on: September 02, 2021, 09:31:41 AM »

Wouldn’t want to be Raab in the next reshuffle- it’s depressing how it isn’t even expected that the PM would have any grip on this situation so Raab is obvious choice.

I still suspect that he will survive somehow.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2467 on: September 02, 2021, 01:09:10 PM »

How does it feel to be an untitled commoner like Peter Phillips and Zara Tindall? Would anyone here want to be a member of British nobility/royalty/House of Lords?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2468 on: September 02, 2021, 03:11:52 PM »

How does it feel to be an untitled commoner like Peter Phillips and Zara Tindall? Would anyone here want to be a member of British nobility/royalty/House of Lords?

I wouldn't personally mind a knighthood one day...
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2469 on: September 02, 2021, 03:18:23 PM »

I wouldn't personally mind a knighthood one day...

Oh. Do untitled British commoners like you and Mr Phillips and Mrs Tindall face pressure because you are not in the social class of The Queen, Charles, William, Kate, and Baroness Warsi, etc. or do you live your lives like an average middle class/working class commoners
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2470 on: September 02, 2021, 03:20:20 PM »

I don't feel any pressure, no.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2471 on: September 02, 2021, 03:46:27 PM »

Definitely couldn't afford Eton. They do some scholarships, but not many.

I almost got into Cambridge myself; you don't pay upfront with student loan payments only taken out of salaries above a certain level. There are also various grants etc. that you can get:

https://www.ucas.com/finance/scholarships-grants-and-bursaries
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2472 on: September 02, 2021, 03:56:55 PM »

Ha love to see Baroness Warsi in that group.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #2473 on: September 02, 2021, 04:42:01 PM »

Definitely couldn't afford Eton. They do some scholarships, but not many.

I almost got into Cambridge myself; you don't pay upfront with student loan payments only taken out of salaries above a certain level. There are also various grants etc. that you can get:

https://www.ucas.com/finance/scholarships-grants-and-bursaries

Interesting.....can you get middle class jobs by going to these elite places or are you going to be working in Westminster instead of the middle class commoner life in Essex or Somerford?

No.  Britain has a rigid class system which means that no matter how smart you are or how hard you work you can only get a job that fits with your caste.  This means that somebody who might be Einstein and get into Oxford with a scholarship and so on but happens to have a provincial accent and maybe a dad who drove lorries will only ever be allowed to stack shelves in Tesco or collect litter because they belong to the proletariat.

That's just the way the class system works here.  Another example: my friend dropped out of school at 14 and enjoys eating glue but thanks to his upper-class status he got an executive position at HSBC upon turning 18.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2474 on: September 02, 2021, 04:54:56 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2021, 04:56:52 AM by Cassius »

That is the generally accepted route into leadership positions at the bulge bracket banks, yes.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies