It'll Rot Your Brain: Campaign Ads Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:31:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  It'll Rot Your Brain: Campaign Ads Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It'll Rot Your Brain: Campaign Ads Thread  (Read 30843 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: September 08, 2010, 08:05:25 PM »

... what.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 02:04:33 PM »

Where on earth did the GOP get the impression that anyone cares/knows who Nancy Pelosi is?

It's a midterm election, where you have a much higher information voter showing up at the polls. The people the ad is targeting know who Nancy Pelosi is. And they're pretty sure they don't like her.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2010, 04:15:51 PM by HatesRights »

Where on earth did the GOP get the impression that anyone cares/knows who Nancy Pelosi is?

It's a midterm election, where you have a much higher information voter showing up at the polls. The people the ad is targeting know who Nancy Pelosi is. And they're pretty sure they don't like her.

Anyone who knows who Nancy Pelosi is will make up their own mind without a TV ad influencing them.

If that's the case, then Democrats are severely fuggled in those yellow dog districts they're targeting.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 02:38:18 PM »

Anyone who knows who Nancy Pelosi is will make up their own mind without a TV ad influencing them.

If that's the case, then Democrats are severely fucked in those yellow dog districts they're targeting.

Or you're vastly overestimating how much the average voter knows about national politics.

I think you're the one vastly underestimating how much the average midterm voter knows about national politics.

You don't think they run these huge ad buys without doing messaging polls first, do you?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 02:28:22 PM »

Sounds like an alternative coffee shop. Organic fair-trade beans only! Served in compostable cups!
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 05:40:40 PM »

Meek goes "in for the kill" to steal Politico's assessment of the ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN7ZQDqzaOg

Should ensure that Meek gets 2nd place, though I doubt it gets him to first.

Does he even have money to air it?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 03:45:07 PM »

That looks like the exact type of ad I'd expect out of a campaign that's down by 8 with no real idea how to close the gap.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 08:07:43 PM »

Okay, um, wow. Christine O'Donnell is up on the air: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxJyPsmEask&feature=player_embedded

"I'm not a witch, I'm nothing you've heard. I'm you."

...yeah.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 10:55:44 PM »

Okay, um, wow. Christine O'Donnell is up on the air: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxJyPsmEask&feature=player_embedded

"I'm not a witch, I'm nothing you've heard. I'm you."

...yeah.

Not the worst thing in the world to personify her and make her seem human after all these stories, even if what she was saying is awkward and flat

Are we watching the same commercial? She doesn't come across as human in that ad at all.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »

Okay, rewatching, it's a bit creepy

Buuuuuuuut, there are some smart notes to the ad.  Like note the beginning hook, "I'm not a witch" -- that's both an attention grabber [important] and a strawman for her to defeat in the next 25 seconds.  That's professional work and thought process.  They know some people have heard "Christine O'Donnell" and "witch" in the same sentence, so they can victimize her by pretending that she's currently being called a witch.

She's relatively likable on TV, she comes across much more affable than a lot of other mainstream politicians this cycle, even though she says some crazy things.  The "I'm one of you" catchphrase is, eh, interesting, but they worked that message into the ad.

Oh, if I was designing the ad, I'd have taken a swing at the "witch" charge too. It may have been more effective, though, with a bit of "Steele" light-heartedness.

The ad could have done two jobs at once: imply that the other charges against her are as ridiculous and irrelevant as the witch one, and given the Dems a black eye for their desire to talk about witchcraft and masturbation through fifteen-year-old sound bites rather than the actual problems of 2010 (of which there are so many). Instead, given her delivery, I don't think it even did one.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 10:18:28 AM »

You knew it was coming: The "Blumenthal bungles the jobs question" ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovIBLQyl7HE&feature=player_embedded

I think it could be effective, though probably not 10 points' worth of effective.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 12:48:41 PM »

That's the ad of a desperate campaign right there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies