Candidate Flip-Floppers?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:35:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Candidate Flip-Floppers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Candidate Flip-Floppers?  (Read 529 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2008, 03:37:59 PM »

If someone wants to bother, it might be interesting to list the flip-flops of Obama, Clinton and McCain over the years...especially over the last two, since they've all been running for the Presidency at least that long.

I think they've all flip-flopped on the issues.  Mitt Romney was attacked for this in the primary.  John Kerry was crucified for this in 2004.  I'm not hearing much about how any of these knuckleheads have dramatically shifted positions.

How ''bout it?

"I was for NAFTA before I was against it"

Pick one and pick 'em apart.  I'm not sure I have a horse in this race anymore.  Call me a very lukewarm Obama supporter.
NDN
Uganda

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 02:24:11 AM »

I also have qualms about Obama so I'll just list Clinton's faults:

Top Clinton Flip-Flops:

1. NAFTA In a January 2004 news conference, Clinton said she thought that "on balance [NAFTA] has been good for New York and good for America." She now says she has "long been a critic of the shortcomings of NAFTA" and advocates a "time out" from similar trade agreements.

2. No Child Left Behind Clinton voted in favor of the 2002 education bill that focused on raising student achievement levels, hailing the measure as "a major step forward." She now attacks the law at campaign rallies and meetings with teachers, describing it as a "test, test, test" approach.

3. Ending the war in Iraq In June 2006, Clinton restated her long-standing opposition to establishing timetables for withdrawing U.S. forces in Iraq. In a Jan. 15, 2008, Democratic debate in Las Vegas, she proposed to "start withdrawing" troops within 60 days of her inauguration, to bring out "one or two brigades a month" and to have "nearly all of the troops out" by the end of 2009.

4 . Driver's licenses for illegal immigrants In a campaign statement on Oct. 31, 2007, Clinton expressed support for a plan by New York Gov. Eliot L. Spitzer (D) to offer limited driver's licenses to illegal immigrants, after going back and forth on the matter in a televised debate. In a Nov. 15, 2007, televised debate from Nevada, she replied with a simple "no" when asked if she approved the driver's license idea in the absence of comprehensive immigration changes.

5. Florida and Michigan delegates In September 2007, the Clinton campaign formally pledged not to participate in primary or caucus elections staged before Feb. 5, 2008, in defiance of Democratic National Committee rules. She now says delegates from Florida and Michigan should be seated at the Democratic National Convention, despite their flouting of rules that all the major Democratic candidates endorsed.

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/24/AR2008022402094.html
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies