Coke vs. Pepsi Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 06:22:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Coke vs. Pepsi Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Coke vs. Pepsi Election  (Read 28852 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 01, 2012, 08:40:58 PM »

If Coke and Pepsi were competing in a presidential election, what would it be like?  My guess: Coke in a landslide.  Your opinions?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 03:53:09 PM »

Agreed.  Plus, it's based on search data, not actual research or anything like that.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2012, 05:09:36 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Pepsi outsells Coke in and around Utah and North Dakota.  I don't know for sure which one I prefer and couldn't tell you unless I took a taste test (i.e. an unbiased version of the Pepsi Challenge.)  But if I had to guess, it would probably be Coke because it seems to have more flavor to balance out the sweetness.  BTW: I had a large Coke at McDonald's today and ate inside, and when I left, I got a refill.

That being said, I like them both.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »

This thread reminds me of this map:

What's weird to me is that a good part of southern appalachia (the parts in TN, NC, and south of that) heavily use the term "coke" for soft drinks. Are those parts of the "central appalachia" where Pepsi outsells Coke? I can't imagine using "Coke" as the word for soft drinks but also preferring Pepsi to Coca-Cola. Does that mean you would say "My favorite kind of coke is Pepsi"?
I'm from the Midwest, and we call it "pop", and even up here I hear people genericize "Coke".  I also have relatives living Texas who say that most people there either call it "coke" or "soda."  I've heard some people there call soft drinks "soda coke", though.  Not a surprise, since everybody knows that Coke is immensely more popular than Pepsi in the South.  (For that reason, I would guess that liberals would prefer Pepsi, and ironically, it also means Democrats probably drank more Coke than Republicans for most of our history. Smiley

For that matter, I went to Arby's today and had some Pepsi there.  It tasted really watered down and there seemed to be hardly any sweetness at all.  I don't know if it's just because it was in a paper cup, but it seemed odd.  I like both Coke and Pepsi, but I could only tell you which I prefer from a taste test.  But if this was any sign, then I would probably have to say that I like Coke more.  I've had plenty of Coke in paper cups and it tastes fine, probably because it just seems to have more flavor.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:17:31 AM »

How did this go from Coke vs. Pepsi to soda vs. pop vs. Coke?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies