Coke vs. Pepsi Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:59:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Coke vs. Pepsi Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Coke vs. Pepsi Election  (Read 28813 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: October 01, 2012, 10:53:51 PM »
« edited: October 02, 2012, 02:38:13 AM by IDS Legislator Griffin »

I have way too much time on my hands. I can't believe how wrong the nation got it.

I compared search data by state for 'Coca-Cola' versus 'Pepsi' and this is what resulted:

Coca-Cola: 72 EVs
Pepsi: 462 EVs
Tossup: 4 EVs

Disgusting. Although, about 10 Pepsi states came very close to flipping into the Coke column.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 02:57:11 AM »

Mountain Dew (Gary Johnson): 474
Dr. Pepper (Dr. Paul): 64

The right candidate won.

I can't remember. I did it fast-style with calc.

I should note (and edited the post) that the precise terms were 'Coca-Cola' and 'Pepsi'. I then went back and did 'Coca Cola' and 'Pepsi' and the results were much more even, yet with distinct regional trends.

Coca Cola: 322 EVs
Pepsi: 203 EVs
Tossup: 13 EVs
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »

Agreed.  Plus, it's based on search data, not actual research or anything like that.

This is true. However, it does shed some light on preferences, as people tend to search for things they either want, need or in which they are interested. I think my second map is a better reflector of preference than my first one, demonstrating the stark geographical divides.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:53:58 AM »

This thread reminds me of this map:

What's weird to me is that a good part of southern appalachia (the parts in TN, NC, and south of that) heavily use the term "coke" for soft drinks. Are those parts of the "central appalachia" where Pepsi outsells Coke? I can't imagine using "Coke" as the word for soft drinks but also preferring Pepsi to Coca-Cola. Does that mean you would say "My favorite kind of coke is Pepsi"?

In my experience, this map is pretty accurate in regards to the usage in Appalachia. I live at the southern base of Appalachia - not in the mountains but close enough to be a part of the culture - and we say 'coke' pretty universally. If somebody wants an actual Coca-Cola, then usually we'll specify ('coca-cola, 'cocola'). Pretty much as soon as you cross the KY/TN line, however, it changes. My friend from extreme SE Kentucky was raised saying 'pop' and found it strange upon moving here that we did not. It's much more common to hear 'soda' than 'pop' here, although both are rarely used. When someone says 'pop', we usually laugh.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 03:40:16 AM »

I have way too much time on my hands. I can't believe how wrong the nation got it.

I compared search data by state for 'Coca-Cola' versus 'Pepsi' and this is what resulted:

Coca-Cola: 72 EVs
Pepsi: 462 EVs
Tossup: 4 EVs

Disgusting. Although, about 10 Pepsi states came very close to flipping into the Coke column.

I then went back and did 'Coca Cola' and 'Pepsi' and the results were much more even, yet with distinct regional trends.

Coca Cola: 322 EVs
Pepsi: 203 EVs
Tossup: 13 EVs

Six years later...

Data for the past twelve months, using the two above search comparisons, respectively:

Coca-Cola: 479 EVs
Pepsi: 44 EVs
Tossup: 15 EVs

Coca Cola: 513 EVs
Pepsi: 22 EVs
Tossup: 3 EVs
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies