1964 Election in the South: The Southern White Vote? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:44:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  1964 Election in the South: The Southern White Vote? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1964 Election in the South: The Southern White Vote?  (Read 4796 times)
mianfei
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:17:20 PM »
« edited: February 21, 2018, 06:26:14 PM by mianfei »

He won the white vote in every state he won except Florida and Virginia.
He even won the white vote in Idaho, which he won by less than 2%?
I was only talking about the South in that post.

I seriously doubt it considering how few blacks could actually vote in the hyper-disenfranchisement system that existed.

This is why I don't trust the words of an author, I need to see actual data.
County maps are of little use in evaluation and understanding whether Johnson or Goldwater won the White vote in the South in 1964. Although there had been very significant and usually steady increases since the 1948 election in African-American voter registration in the South, most of this increase was in heavily populated and growing urban counties where blacks were not the majority they remained in the Black Belts where very few voted except in a few counties in Arkansas and East Texas.

In all of the Outer South, and most of the Deep South, whether or not a would-be black voter could register was entirely decided by county or parish governments – the state authorities had no control and so different local governments could and did decide differently.

In order to assess how many blacks were voting in the South in 1964, one would need to look at precinct results which usually showed substantial numbers of blacks voting (and of course overwhelmingly supporting LBJ) in cities throughout the Outer South and even in parts of Georgia and South Louisiana. Although I do not have details and have never seen such in JSTOR scholarly papers re the 1964 election, I have read about details of black voting in 1952 when African-American registration was lower in all Southern states than in 1964.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies