How many House seats will Democrats gain in 2012? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:01:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  How many House seats will Democrats gain in 2012? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How many House seats will Democrats gain in 2012?  (Read 11283 times)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« on: May 29, 2011, 06:53:13 AM »

Is it safe to assume that most of the seats that Democrats gain will be those outside the South? 

Yes. Outside of maybe Arkansas, I doubt the Democrats will see a single gain in the South (not counting Florida as part of the South).
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:54:03 AM »

Is it safe to assume that most of the seats that Democrats gain will be those outside the South? 

Yes. Outside of maybe Arkansas, I doubt the Democrats will see a single gain in the South (not counting Florida as part of the South).

How about Virginia?
They could also gain seats in Alabama and South Carolina if the DOJ insists for a second VRA seat, but that's a big if.

At the beginning of the year I'd say Democrats would gain around 15 seats. But with Republican's popularity sinking fast and the Ryan budget, I could see them gaining 20-25 and retaking narrowly the House.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Texas. I don't see any of the seats in Virginia being particularly competitive.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:31:03 AM »

I thought the Virginia congressional map isn't out yet. Anyway, I find it hard to believe that in a state that has moved to toss-up/lean Dem territory it's feasible to contain the Dems to just 3 out of 11 seats. It's kind of an exercise in futility like the ones the Democrats tried against Republicans in Texas and Georgia.

They're going to work on it next month, but odds are they're going to punt it to next year, because the Senate Democrats want to pass a 7-4 map, and the House Republicans want to pass an 8-3 map. Virginia's Democratic voters are distributed such that you can make three solidly Democratic seats and distribute the remainder among the other districts.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:10:45 PM »

I thought the Virginia congressional map isn't out yet. Anyway, I find it hard to believe that in a state that has moved to toss-up/lean Dem territory it's feasible to contain the Dems to just 3 out of 11 seats. It's kind of an exercise in futility like the ones the Democrats tried against Republicans in Texas and Georgia.

If you go for a really ugly Richmond-Norfolk Dem Pack, you can draw 8 McCain Seats at least, although they'd be like 53% McCain, which is not insurmountable for at Virginia Democrat.

Why would the Virginia Senate approve that?

The Dem majority is tenuous at best, which is why I said it'll probably get punted to next year. The Republicans have nothing to lose in doing that, really.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:48:01 PM »

No, Carson's totally going down, his new district's only 66% Obama, down from the previous district being 71% Obama. And Rokita is going to run in IN-07 despite the fact he can move like a mile to remain in his current district.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies