AL-Sen 2020: The return of the Sessions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:21:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL-Sen 2020: The return of the Sessions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AL-Sen 2020: The return of the Sessions?  (Read 983 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2018, 09:39:23 AM »

I'd be highly surprised if Jeff Sessions is still AG by the end of the year, let alone in 2020. Getting essentially kicked out of the Justice Department by Trump is a pretty bad end for any career. Anyone thinking he runs for his old senate seat again that will be up in 2020? He'd probably unseat Doug Jones, but Trump is going to endorse someone else in the primary. Probably Sessions retires after leaving the cabinet, but who knows?
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 09:59:02 AM »

He would win the primary with ease and would curb-stomp Jones in the general, but I doubt that he would run.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 10:29:55 AM »

He would win the primary with ease and would curb-stomp Jones in the general, but I doubt that he would run.

I was thinking this last night.

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 10:32:01 AM »

You sure about that? I mean, he’s not exactly popular with Trumpists.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 10:41:48 AM »

I had a dream last night that Dick Shelby died in 2020 and we get two Alabama Senate elections in 2020 Cool

**In my dream, Gov Ivey appointed Martha Roby as interim senator in 2020 (she survives a primary challenge) and Doug Jones briefly serves as the Yellowhammer State's senior senator from 2020 to 2021 (he's defeated by Bradley Byrne).
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »

Sessions has been an ALGOP institution for over 20 years, AL voters have much more loyalty to Sessions than to Trump. He has been re-elected thrice, winning in a landslide each time. He is nearly as beloved as Shelby, and Trump's feuds with him have done little to change that.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 12:34:05 PM »

Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 01:03:21 PM »

Sessions has been an ALGOP institution for over 20 years, AL voters have much more loyalty to Sessions than to Trump. He has been re-elected thrice, winning in a landslide each time. He is nearly as beloved as Shelby, and Trump's feuds with him have done little to change that.
John McCain was an AZ institution and Trump attacking him still ruined his popularity among Republicans.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 01:13:14 PM »

I think Sessions support in the senate makes him much harder to fire than other cabinet members, that said I don't think Sessions will run if he does get fired. My guess is that Byrne, Roby, or Brooks will get the nomination
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 01:16:57 PM »

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 01:18:35 PM »

I mean has any polling done to actually reflect that view?

Whilst I'm sure Sessions was one of the more popular senators in Alabama; his wins in 2002 and 2008 look good rather than outstanding.

Besides Sessions role as Attorney General would be used to attack him in a Primary; refused to prosecute Hillary Clinton, worked against our President etc.

But it's all academic as I can't imagine why he'd return to the Senate; he'd be 73, and he'd lose his seniority. People don't tend to return to the Senate after being in the Cabinet.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies