Barry Goldwater vs. Ronald Reagan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 04:09:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Barry Goldwater vs. Ronald Reagan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Whom do you like more?
Barry Goldwater

Ronald Reagan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Barry Goldwater vs. Ronald Reagan  (Read 4425 times)
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »

Unlike Reagan, I don't think Goldwater had the political skills to be a successful president. However, I definitely would have preferred him to LBJ.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 03:43:31 PM »

Surprised at these results. While I appreciate Goldwater's socially liberal leanings, never forget his staunch pro-segregation stances that won him the south (and that's about it). Voted Reagan.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 05:53:36 PM »

Surprised at these results. While I appreciate Goldwater's socially liberal leanings, never forget his staunch pro-segregation stances that won him the south (and that's about it). Voted Reagan.

Goldwater was hardly a racist. He had voted for all federal civil rights legislation prior to 1964, worked for civil rights in his home town and desegregated the Arizona Air National Guard in 1946 - two years before the military in general.

His opposition to the Civil Rights Act was a mix of opportunism and principles (not regulating who businesses can serve or what states can do). With a man as principled as Goldwater I doubt you can just disregard the ideological aspect. The CRA was a step too far regarding federal regulation from his POV.

He is far from me ideologically, especially on his view of unions, and he was also pro-choice. For me his progressive views on the environment are crucial, an area where Reagan was terrible. His principled stance during Watergate is also admirable.

Goldwater was also personally a more interesting character than Reagan (skillfull photographer, amateur radio operator, nature lover, river expeditions, writer, pilot, Indian doll collector, UFO investigator). By and large just an all round more multifaceted person than Reagan.

Also, it is hard not to have some sympathy for a guy, who could say things like "You don't need to be straight to fight and die for your country. You just need to shoot straight".
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 07:36:49 PM »

I dislike them both, but Reagan wasn't quite as insane as Goldwater.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies