-ic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:53:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  -ic
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: -ic  (Read 649 times)
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2006, 02:50:54 AM »

Consider it a pet peeve about childish individuals, but I've always wondered about certain individuals who seem unable to comprehend the idea that unlike the Republican party - in which the word "Republican" describes both the party and individuals within the party; the Democratic party consists of Democrats.

For whatever reason they insist on dropping the -ic and calling it the 'democrat' party.

I can think of three possible reasons for this - ranging from least to most likely.

1. they are political neophites, and are unfamilar with even basic terminology.

2. They have a poor grasp of the English language, or at least some parts of it. 

3. They act out of pettyness, much as some of their similarly immature collegues in the Democratic party refer to Republicans with such childish slurs as "repuglican' (a portmandu of Republican and Repugnant).
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 03:11:54 AM »

Well, I don't worry about such petty issues of the Republocratic Party.  The Demolicans can call each other names as much as they wish, as long as they stop misusing the terms Liberal and Conservative.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 03:57:20 PM »

My biggest pet peevy is that people in America don't actually know what the word liberal means. We use it in the wrong context, thanks FDR. It should mean a moderate libertarian someone who believes in both economic and social freedom with some restraints not what it has come to be in the United States.

The whole liberal-conservative thing is really stupid in my mind. It really strangles political debate in America when you can call everyone from myself to Rin-Chan a "conservative" and everyone from Al to Preston to jfern a "liberal". Unlike in Europe where each of those people would fall into a distinct catagory.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 12:56:38 AM »

My biggest pet peevy is that people in America don't actually know what the word liberal means. We use it in the wrong context, thanks FDR. It should mean a moderate libertarian someone who believes in both economic and social freedom with some restraints not what it has come to be in the United States.

The whole liberal-conservative thing is really stupid in my mind. It really strangles political debate in America when you can call everyone from myself to Rin-Chan a "conservative" and everyone from Al to Preston to jfern a "liberal". Unlike in Europe where each of those people would fall into a distinct catagory.

True, even the nolan chart (political compass) has serious limitations, but it's still a massive improvement over the  shallow left-right nonsense left over from French revolutionaries.  (which eventually came to divide the extremists from the ultra-extremists - revolution tends to eat it's  own  children).  And what  some people call 'conservative' these days doesn't even advocate conserving anything.  So called neo-conservatism is really  more of an unholy mating of maoism and capitalism/corperatism - with a sop to dispensationalist theocrats as an alliance of convienence).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies