Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:25:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45
Author Topic: Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"  (Read 79280 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: April 09, 2013, 07:58:43 AM »

You misconstrued what I said (which is normal, I guess).  I never said I was raised to sit on my butt and play on the Internet, rather I was raised to treat other people and the relationships with them, especially your own family, as more important than yourself even when it comes to your health.  I was born in the 1980's, but I was raised in a 1930's and 1940's mentality where relationships were the key to survival.  Oh, by the way, the 1930's mentality is NOT obsolete and should be brought back at all costs.  It is so much better than the 2010's mentality.

I posted on the forum while I was visiting with my family.  It's something called a tablet.

Wait a minute...

You're honestly telling me that you think it is more rude to tell your family, "I'll be back in 30 minutes; I'm going to take my daily walk" than it is to sit and play with an iPad while you are "visiting" with your family?  That's the most backwards, messed up thing I've heard all day.

No, Jeff, playing on a tablet when you're supposed to be "visiting" is the rude thing to do between those 2 choices.

His Dad has to work 28 out of 30 days this month (for obvious reasons).  I doubt anyone thinks he's rude for not hanging out all day with the family.

The way he regards his parents is just mind-blowing....
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #251 on: April 09, 2013, 08:16:09 AM »

The way he regards his parents is just mind-blowing....

Fortunately, his father at least has good health benefits, since Bushie sold him Ameriplan a few years ago.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #252 on: April 09, 2013, 08:37:41 AM »

You misconstrued what I said (which is normal, I guess).  I never said I was raised to sit on my butt and play on the Internet, rather I was raised to treat other people and the relationships with them, especially your own family, as more important than yourself even when it comes to your health.  I was born in the 1980's, but I was raised in a 1930's and 1940's mentality where relationships were the key to survival.  Oh, by the way, the 1930's mentality is NOT obsolete and should be brought back at all costs.  It is so much better than the 2010's mentality.

I posted on the forum while I was visiting with my family.  It's something called a tablet.

You really don't know what I do on a daily basis, so you really have no right to judge me and condemn me and yell at me for not doing what I should be doing.  Do I judge you and condemn you for what you are doing?  And, don't use the crappy excuse "well, what I do is better than what you do."

I do care about losing weight, but don't people realize it is a lot harder when family is around?  No one can expect me to keep the same routine with or without family.  I am doing what I can, but one day is not going to kill me.

I don't want to die early, but I also refuse to be old and miserable.  I would rather die young and happy than old and miserable.  Plus, when I die, I will have had the last laugh because I will win.  I just don't want to die too quickly.

Have you forgotten that I am not paying anything for my medication?  Those fish oil pills are not costing me a dime.  The blood pressure medicine, not a dime.  The Tourette's medicine, not a penny.  The anti-inflammatory, not a thing.  The only thing I have to pay for is the gas going to and from the pharmacy which is 45 miles round trip.

I am not upset by any of this, I am just pointing out the weaknesses and inaccuracies in your story.

While it is very hard right now, I have never said I was not going to not do what I can.  Missing one day every now and then is not going to kill me, especially when my diet was a lot better than it has been.

When the company leaves and the birthdays are over, I will really get down to business as things will settle down, but I will do what I can now.

Why don't you go on a walk with your family members?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #253 on: April 09, 2013, 08:40:28 AM »

And I already know how Jeff will respond when he comes on today... he'll walk back his statements a bit and concede some points (the typical, "You guys are right, but...") and then move on to a different topic, not addressing anything substantial that was said.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #254 on: April 09, 2013, 09:38:43 AM »

I want to specifically address Nix's accusation.  I am not blaming anybody for anything.  I'm just saying that's how I was raised, but the onus falls on me to make the most of the time I do have when not in the family's company.  I'm the one to blame for not utilizing my time  to myself effectively.  I can't pin this on my parents, my company, my grandmother, or anyone but myself.  I was just saying how I was raised.  As Inks would point out, yesterday I was with my family from 11:00-8:00 pretty much.  That's 9 hours.  That leaves 15 hours I could have done something productive besides sleep.  Today, I will be with my family from basically 1:00-7:00.  6 hours.  Leaving 18 hours I can do something worthwhile.  So, I'll post for a little bit this morning, then get a shower, take my medicine, and get outside and walk for maybe an hour to make up for yesterday.  That way, when I get home this evening, I can relax and watch baseball without feeling guilty that I didn't utilize the time I was given.  Then, tomorrow, I can walk after the rain moves out.  It will be chilly tomorrow, highs in the 40s, but I can still put on a heavy jacket and walk for at least 30 minutes.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #255 on: April 09, 2013, 09:42:48 AM »

I'm just curious - can you describe what spending nine hours means? Is it nine hours of sitting around, talking? I don't know what I would do that would have me continually in their presence.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: April 09, 2013, 09:45:35 AM »

I'm just curious - can you describe what spending nine hours means? Is it nine hours of sitting around, talking? I don't know what I would do that would have me continually in their presence.

Talking, mainly.  Watching a little bit of the news occasionally, Grandma likes Fox News (ugh...), get dinner ready, but mostly visit with each other.  Since we don't see each other that much it takes a while to catch up.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #257 on: April 09, 2013, 09:50:24 AM »

Jeff, if you had time to be on the forum, you had time to walk.  It really is that simple.  It doesn't matter how long your family was there... that's not relevant at all.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #258 on: April 09, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »

I couldn't hang with my family for 9 minutes, much less 9 hours.  He's a warrior, that Bushie.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #259 on: April 09, 2013, 09:59:08 AM »

I couldn't hang with my family for 9 minutes, much less 9 hours.  He's a warrior, that Bushie.

Is it that you couldn't hang out with your family for 9 minutes, or they couldn't hang out with you for 9 minutes? Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #260 on: April 09, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »

Is it that you couldn't hang out with your family for 9 minutes, or they couldn't hang out with you for 9 minutes? Tongue

Oh I'm sure it's quite mutual, Inks.  Wink
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #261 on: April 09, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »

Jeff, if you had time to be on the forum, you had time to walk.  It really is that simple.  It doesn't matter how long your family was there... that's not relevant at all.

That is exactly what I'm saying.  If I was over there for 9 hours, that leaves 15 hours.  24-9 = 15, no?

Plans have changed a little bit for today.  Instead of having dinner with the family, we will just have lunch together and then my family from Kansas City will leave after lunch to get out ahead of the weather that's supposed to come in later this afternoon and evening.  So, I should be home by ~13:00, so that's plenty of time to take a walk this afternoon.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #262 on: April 09, 2013, 10:43:50 AM »

That is exactly what I'm saying.  If I was over there for 9 hours, that leaves 15 hours.  24-9 = 15, no?

Plans have changed a little bit for today.  Instead of having dinner with the family, we will just have lunch together and then my family from Kansas City will leave after lunch to get out ahead of the weather that's supposed to come in later this afternoon and evening.  So, I should be home by ~13:00, so that's plenty of time to take a walk this afternoon.

My point is that your family time shouldn't even be part of an equation... it's entirely irrelevant.  Don't worry about adding or subtracting anything.  Just walk.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #263 on: April 09, 2013, 10:48:41 AM »

Christ Almighty, 9 hours visiting with family members? I'd rather die.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #264 on: April 09, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »

Um, yeah 9 hours? WTF?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #265 on: April 09, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »

Yeah, what the hell?

Those are the types of situations that practically beg me to go on a run.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #266 on: April 09, 2013, 01:48:11 PM »

Absolutely no one is allowed to call the way I was raised wrong or obsolete.  No one is ever allowed to say that.

That's a shame.  Because you were clearly raised in the wrong way.  Hell, your parents owe you quite an apology, because you got screwed.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #267 on: April 09, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »

Absolutely no one is allowed to call the way I was raised wrong or obsolete.  No one is ever allowed to say that.

That's a shame.  Because you were clearly raised in the wrong way.  Hell, your parents owe you quite an apology, because you got screwed.

How was I raised improperly?  Treating others as more important than myself?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #268 on: April 09, 2013, 01:51:12 PM »

If you really believed in that, you wouldn't be leeching off your parents like you are.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #269 on: April 09, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »

That sort of self-denying behavior is actually pretty destructive to other people as well as to yourself, even if it seems like the "right" way to behave. You end up being manipulative and letting other people down and making yourself a burden to them by not taking responsibility for your own actions. That said, it's hard to reach people who are in that mindset.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #270 on: April 09, 2013, 06:27:56 PM »

Playing on your iPad while you have guests over is not treating others as more important than yourself.

Come on, Jeff... this excuse is probably one of the worst ones you've had so far.  It's absolutely ludicrous to say that it's rude to leave to walk while your family is in town, but it's not rude to sit on your iPad for an hour in front of them.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #271 on: April 09, 2013, 06:50:36 PM »

I imagine a lot of the family time is simply sitting around looking at each other. They may have the TV on, occasionally talking about some news event, etc. I doubt any of their lives are that interesting to where they have 9 hours worth of stories to tell, and they have phones, so it's strange that he seems like they haven't spoken since seeing each other last time.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #272 on: April 09, 2013, 06:57:30 PM »

Christ Almighty, 9 hours visiting with family members? I'd rather die.

I've done 9 hours with visiting family if I don't get to see them often.  Phones are a partial substitute, but phones aren't that good for group conversations.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #273 on: April 09, 2013, 08:09:26 PM »

Now that I have a break for the next week and no family obligations until next Wednesday, I can really focus on what I need to do.  I took a 40 minute walk this afternoon and enjoyed the hot and humid weather.  Tomorrow, after the rain moves out around late morning, I'll put on my heavy coat and take another 30 minute walk or so.  I'm going to develop a routine that I can keep even while the company is here again late next week and while the birthdays are happening in late April.  It is time to get serious about this, and now is the perfect opportunity to do so.

Tomorrow, after I go on my 30 minute walk, I've got to run down to Shawnee and get my medicine refill that I called in today and then go by the Vocational Tech School (Vo-Tech) and talk to them about their CAD program.  I, along with my parents guidance, have decided that after I get back from Kenya, I will go to school for Computer Aided Drafting and wait for a job until after I get out of school.  I just refuse to get stuck in another dead-end call center again, so it would be better for me to wait and focus on school and then get a job next Spring.  My house will be sold by the end of May, so that will be $800 back in my pocket every month including the Utilities.  I am going to live here at my parents while I'm going to school so I don't have to pay rent or utilities or cable tv and all the amenities.  While I'm going to school, I will be paying down my credit cards so when I move to Kenya in 2016, I won't have as much debt.  My goal is to be debt free or nearly debt free when I move so I can focus more on the ministry.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #274 on: April 09, 2013, 09:13:39 PM »

http://transportation.stanford.edu/pdf/caloriecalc_walk.pdf

Bushie could've burned 340 calories just by walking and thus spending "only" 8 1/2 hours with his family instead of 9.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies