Virginia passes redistricting commision (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:14:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia passes redistricting commision (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia passes redistricting commision  (Read 1865 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« on: February 24, 2019, 03:01:03 AM »

I agree with this.

Apparently Virginia Dems like to handcuff themselves when they get power. Good luck winning the House next decade when Republicans gerrymander TX, GA, OH and NC while Democrats decide to restrain themselves. Idiots

TX, GA and NC is going to see massive Democratic gains in the state legislature over the next few years. There is also little room to gain via gerrymandering those states.

North Carolina isn't even a sure thing for Republicans. It seems quite likely that the state courts are going to go where Pennsylvania did last year or at least pretty close. As for Texas, I think Democrats should make a serious effort for the TX House next year. Democrats made huge gains last year and appear to be within striking distance. Even if they can't get the majority back just yet, a close enough margin could extract serious concessions for the post-2020 maps.

I'd imagine GA would likely be a status quo map. Republicans will likely shore up GA-07 by ceding GA-06.

The biggest problem for Democrats by far is Ohio. I think that is without question the strongest Republican gerrymander this decade. It remains to be seen how the so-called reform will go to restore at least a reasonably fair balance.

The Texas Constitution also has really strict rules when it comes to redistricting the state House which make it difficult to gerrymander.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 08:13:12 AM »

This has to get passed again next term in order to go to the voters for approval. Hopefully the Democrats can take control and then just forget about it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies