Virginia passes redistricting commision (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:24:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia passes redistricting commision (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virginia passes redistricting commision  (Read 1860 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 23, 2019, 07:44:54 PM »

This is a good thing. Gerrymandering is a crime against democracy anywhere.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 05:43:42 PM »

The Republican Supreme Court drawing the maps if the commission fails seems like a poison pill, Dems should pass a different plan next year. Since the way constitutional amendments are passed it wouldn't be on the ballot until at least 2022.
^^^^

The VA Supreme Court is full of republicans.

Well we can only hope VA Democrats aren’t retarded enough to allow this to go into effect when they gain the trifecta then

dude, this gerrymandering is obviously bullcrap and I know you're smart enough to know that. Stop the partisan sh**t and celebrate the victory for democracy,
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 06:44:56 PM »

The Republican Supreme Court drawing the maps if the commission fails seems like a poison pill, Dems should pass a different plan next year. Since the way constitutional amendments are passed it wouldn't be on the ballot until at least 2022.
^^^^

The VA Supreme Court is full of republicans.

Well we can only hope VA Democrats aren’t retarded enough to allow this to go into effect when they gain the trifecta then

dude, this gerrymandering is obviously bullcrap and I know you're smart enough to know that. Stop the partisan sh**t and celebrate the victory for democracy,

Yeah no. I’m not one of those pearl-clutching holier than thou types that cares about virtue signaling like this
I understand that it helps Democrats if these maps favor them, but gerrymandering isn't just bad because of Republicans' prolific doing of it. Gerrymandering disenfranchises voters, makes less competitive elections, and overall encourages less voter participation. All of these are things Democrats should believe in. This isn't about being better than Republicans, this is about doing something that encourages an active democracy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies