Rasmussen polls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 02:59:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  About this Site
  The Atlas
  Rasmussen polls
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rasmussen polls  (Read 807 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2024, 10:45:57 AM »

So much to my chagrin, I see that Atlas hasn't officially banned Rasmussen polls. On that note, it doesn't seem that we ban any polls at all. In light of Rasmussen's latest debacle, I thought it would be worth bringing this up. I do understand that, unlike 538 or RealClearPolitics, this is a forum intended for discussion of polls rather than just averaging them - which the site does. And I wouldn't say that questionable polls should be banned from discussion altogether, but if we're going to average them, would it not be prudent to be even a bit more selective in the sources we allow into the database?

As far as I'm concerned, Rasmussen has thoroughly discredited itself by being so open about its biases and peddling of conspiracy theories, both in its surveys and its social media platform. It's not even accurate to label it as an internal Republican polling firm at this point; Scott Rasmussen is no longer involved and the company has since been completely taken over by unserious lunatics. Is there any good argument for why their polls should continue being allowed in our database, or is it just Dave's policy never to exclude polls no matter how questionable the source?
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2024, 12:31:47 PM »

Agreed. There's an argument that the polling is separate from the site's editorializing so has some value, but the polling is honestly really shoddy too.

I'm not sure how responsive Dave Liep is anymore. I messaged him through the contact form several weeks ago on the Atlas index requesting a change to my profile (not on the forum but the predictions site) and never got a reply.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 11:19:35 AM »
« Edited: June 16, 2024, 11:23:05 AM by RI »

I don't believe any polls should be banned unless they're demonstrably fraudulent. Outliers are good and provide important information. The more you try to 'mold' the data, the more bias you yourself introduce.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2024, 06:19:38 PM »

I don't believe any polls should be banned unless they're demonstrably fraudulent. Outliers are good and provide important information. The more you try to 'mold' the data, the more bias you yourself introduce.

Lol you don't enter all the polls on the database
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:46:16 AM »

Remember Overtime Politics in 2016? Even those weren't banned. We can debate over whether Rasmussen is one worthy of it, but Atlas definitely does need some sort of standard for poll banning.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies