SB 121-10: Save the Senate Amendment - Failed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 12:28:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 121-10: Save the Senate Amendment - Failed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: SB 121-10: Save the Senate Amendment - Failed  (Read 1184 times)
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2024, 11:15:49 PM »

What is the point of Amendment B? What problem does it solve?

4. Effective August 1, 2024, all justices of the Supreme Court shall immediately resign and must either be re-confirmed by the relevant authority, or be replaced by a new justice.

Honestly let’s just hurry this up and get the Senate Reduction done with and not have its fate tied to potentially controversial provisions.

Well there is the fact that the Supreme Court has not resolved a single case this year and did basically nothing in 2023. Some of the justices there clearly do not care.

Also, while I've heard feedback like yours, I've also heard feedback that a senate reduction on its own is more controversial.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2024, 12:31:22 AM »

4. Effective August 1, 2024, all justices of the Supreme Court shall immediately resign and must either be re-confirmed by the relevant authority, or be replaced by a new justice.

Honestly let’s just hurry this up and get the Senate Reduction done with and not have its fate tied to potentially controversial provisions.

Well there is the fact that the Supreme Court has not resolved a single case this year and did basically nothing in 2023. Some of the justices there clearly do not care.

Also, while I've heard feedback like yours, I've also heard feedback that a senate reduction on its own is more controversial.

It’s not single handily killing the game unlike the excessive number of elected officeholders.

A separate conversation can be had about judges if necessary though what you are describing doesn’t seem historically unusual.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2024, 12:59:56 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2024, 01:04:26 AM by Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon »

It’s not single handily killing the game unlike the excessive number of elected officeholders.

A separate conversation can be had about judges if necessary though what you are describing doesn’t seem historically unusual.

The Supreme Court has always been slow, but I do not recall a time when it was impossible to get them to respond to an emergency situation - we never did get a ruling on the disputed senate seat previously held by Laki, the case simply sat for a month until the next election. We are simply on borrowed time until a larger proportion of elections get held up in some litigation and the game collapses as a result as there is no court to resolve such litigation.

Additionally, 3 Pieces of Southern Legislation that were challenged last November remain pending with no expectation of any resolution.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2024, 05:26:12 AM »

also isn't Donerail, who has left the forum and deliberately locked themself out of their account, still on the court?

It probably should be addressed in a different bill or amendment but something does need to be done about that.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2024, 08:07:55 AM »

Nay
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2024, 04:36:12 PM »

Aye
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2024, 07:51:02 PM »

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2024, 11:02:22 AM »

Aye
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2024, 11:32:02 AM »

Aye
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2024, 07:19:25 PM »

While I remain personally supportive of a legislative reset, I recognize that the proposal divides the senate in a way that is not conducive to having 2/3 support for a constitutional amendment.

Thus, I respectfully change my vote to Abstain
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2024, 07:20:01 PM »

Amendment Fails 5-6-2-5
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2024, 07:27:24 PM »

So we have the Senate reduction and the SCOA membership reset in this currently. Interested in hearing any further feedback so we can iron things out ahead of a final vote.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2024, 12:28:28 PM »

Motion to table this
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2024, 01:56:10 PM »

I'm not opposed to shifting things in a different direction, but could you please detail the sort of change you would like to see? It's pretty evident that the current 18 member senate and the complete do nothing supreme court that can't even resolve electoral challenges anymore is not sustainable.

Also your seat would be maintained under this specific proposal. Tabling this could open the door to reducing it by a method that would not include subregions and thus cost you your job.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2024, 01:24:33 PM »

Objecting to the motion to table.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2024, 01:58:53 PM »

I'm not opposed to shifting things in a different direction, but could you please detail the sort of change you would like to see? It's pretty evident that the current 18 member senate and the complete do nothing supreme court that can't even resolve electoral challenges anymore is not sustainable.

Also your seat would be maintained under this specific proposal. Tabling this could open the door to reducing it by a method that would not include subregions and thus cost you your job.

I'm not worried about my own seat! I got elected purely because of how broken the game in; I wrote myself in as a joke and ended up holding office on what was the lowest turn-out election perhaps on record.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2024, 06:17:23 PM »

I'm not worried about my own seat! I got elected purely because of how broken the game in; I wrote myself in as a joke and ended up holding office on what was the lowest turn-out election perhaps on record.

First part of my post still stands; what would you see as the best proposal?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2024, 09:22:10 PM »

Technical Manager's Amendment, mostly to help Cao sleep  Tongue

Save the Senate Amendment

Modify Article III, Section 1 of the Constitution as follows:

(...)
3. The Senate shall consist of eighteentwelve Senators; nine elected at large and one elected for each region and each subregion. However, this section shall not be construed to prevent any duly elected senator from completing any term to which they have been elected, with the full rights, powers, and privileges of said office.
(...)

Modify Article III, Section 2 of the Constitution as follows:

1. The manner of election for at-large Senators shall be as follows:
i. The nine six at-large Senators shall be elected for a term of two months by the eligible voters of the Republic according to a method of proportional representation prescribed by the Senate. Elections for the seats shall be held in the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December.
ii. If no other method of proportional representation is prescribed by law, at-large Senate elections shall operate on single transferable vote.
iii. At-large Senate vacancies shall be filled through appointment by the executive of the former Senator’s Party; but should a vacancy occur as the result of the death, expulsion, or resignation of an at-large Senator not being a member of a major Party, then a special election shall be held within twenty days of the vacancy to choose a replacement to serve the remainder of the existing term. The seats of the members elected 7th, 8th, and 9th according to the June 2024 Election Results shall not be filled if they become vacant. Ties shall be broken according to most first preferences, then most second preferences, and so on. In the case of such a vacancy, such a seat will not be relevant to the question of passage or quorum on any matter before the Senate.

The manner of selection for regional Senators shall be as follows:
i. Each region shall elect a Senator for a term of four months by popular election of the region’s residents administered by the regional government in a manner prescribed by the legislature thereof. Regional Senate elections shall be held in the months of February, June, and October.
ii. Regional Senate vacancies occurring more than thirty days prior to the end of the term shall be filled by special election of the region’s residents administered by the regional government within twenty days of the vacancy.

iii. Regional Senate vacancies occurring within thirty days of the end of the term, as well as the interim between a vacancy and a prescribed special election, may be filled in accordance with the laws of the region in question; should no such law exist then the region’s executive shall have the power to make such an appointment. No remaining or future regional senate vacancy shall be filled. In the case of such a vacancy, such a seat will not be relevant to the question of passage or quorum on any matter before the Senate.
(...)
Modify Article V, Section 1 of the Constitution as follows:

(...)

4. All justices of the Supreme Court shall immediately resign and must either be re-confirmed by the relevant authority, or be replaced by a new justice.

Quote from: Amendment Explanation
In accordance with declining activity in the game, this will reduce the size of the Senate to 12 seats, six at large and one from each subregion. It is implemented gradually to avoid holding elections to non-existent seats and provide time for affected senators to find their next role in the game. It also resets the Supreme Court membership to ensure the return of an active Supreme Court.

Quote from: Amendment Implementation
The changes to Article III, Section 1 shall take effect immediately. The changes to Article III, Section 2 shall take effect on July 6th, 2024. The changes to Article V shall take effect on August 1st, 2024.

Sponsor: Dwarven Dragon
Occupying: Slot 4
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2024, 02:05:20 PM »